April 2018 IF/EF chat - all welcome

(Dennis Gilbert) #141
From Keto Eagle
  1. Blood sugar this morning 180….16 units of lantus…850 metformin……bulletproof coffee and small amount of fat and carbs. ……should have had at least an egg…. Anyway….at 13 mile bike ride…BS = 80……took two sugar tabs total 8 gm…ride home 13 miles…at home the bs is 70, and I have the usual anxious feelings and not thinking too clearly. Can anyone else drop their BS 150 points in 3.3 hours of 26 mile bike ride?
    It makes we wonder if the amount of long acting insulin has been used up and that is why the evening numbers are too high consdering the low carb meals I have. Q. is it possible that I run out of insulin by dinner time? After a lot of exercise when 150 blood sugar reduction takes place?
    ( My endocrinologist has me as a D 1.5 with the problem being more about low output and not much IR.)

2. I just read again the dawn phenomenon by Dr. J Fung. The dracebos effect in my use of metformin really opened my eyes today……Yeah, that is the reason I wanted to use it….to keep the BS down, not realizing that I should empty that sucker liver. WOW!!
    3. Could it be b-12 is the problem….Book written by a nurse in 2010….jimmy Moore old podcast … I listened to is alarming that all of the meds I take are counter productive to a healthy B12 balance, including metformin….So I got two whammys on metformin in one day…must be a sign…So I dc’d metformin.

1. Fasting MWF about 24 hours each….by skipping bfast and lunch.
      I am insulin depended at least for now…The timing of the insulin injection when fasting is very curious indeed. I am 7.5 years injection in am…so if I fast dinner to dinner 24 hours. then I am unprotected for dinner if I wait to inject the next morning. 235 this am and a 13 mile bike after 16 units and dropped to 145.
      So the question is how to time injections around first meal after fast. I guess I am stuck on trying to defeat the hi bs caused by dawn effect, by stubbornly injecting in the am. Keto Eagle ARIZONA

(Trish) #142

If your BG goes down so much after taking the Lantus, metformin, and biking, my question is how much does it go down without the biking? If it seems the bike is the main thing bringing it down then what levels would you be at if you either reduced or didn’t take the meds and still did the ride? I’ve no clue of course if that would be safe in any way, but if all 3 thing reduce you 150 points what would 2 of the 3 or 1 of the 3 lower it to? Maybe ask your doctor about testing some variables. ??

(Dennis Gilbert) #143

Shallimar,wow you are so thoughtful to weigh in here. Without the insulin to slam the glucose into probably the leg muscles…Blood sugar drops about 1/2…40 to 60 as my diary shows… So with intermittent fasting and keeping carbs at 30-50 daily when feasting. How much lower can I take the insulin by a consistent amount of exercse daily…And speaking of consistent…that is another hard part of working toward reversing the D.

(KCKO, KCFO) #144

Years ago a friend of mine was told by her dr. the worst thing you can do for your lipidpanel is to use powered non dairy creamers. I assume that is what you are talking about, not just a powdered milk. It sends trigs sky high in almost everyone who uses them.

Also the broth should be fine . I use like a 1/4 cup when I supplement. If that doesn’t satisfy me I keep doing it till I reach a cup. Usually by 1/2 no matter how much I think “I need some food, NOW” I am fine.

KCFO

(Trish) #145

I’m sorry, I don’t understand the question. I thought your concern was that your BG was dropping too much all at once. Perhaps I misunderstood your OP also.

(Raj Seth) #146

Have you tried cold brew? 1/2 cup of COARSE ground coffe to a quart of water. 12-24 hours later pour it through a dive into a coffee filter and the filtered beverage is divine!! Heat it and add a tsp of heavy cream. Yummmmm

(Liz ) #147

Lol YES of course, I’ve tried it EVERY WAY :smile: and I see how you added heavy cream which, yes! Is delicious. It’s black coffee which is disgusting to me.

(Raj Seth) #148

Me 2. Can’t drink it. Black tea, tolerable. Unsweetened- no issue quit that 25 yrs ago took 2 days to get used to it. But Black Coffee - it is truly vile to me!! And I have tried countless times

(Trish) #149

Ditto. Apparently, a lot of us are drinking coffee but it’s not really the coffee we like; rather, it’s the stuff we add to it LOL.

(Liz ) #150

@Rajseth Right? Same with me for tea. Too funny :smile:

@Shallimar Ha! It would seem so but all I add these days is a tablespoon of coconut oil blended in vigorously and the combination, the fatty coffee, is heavenly to me.

(Trish) #151

60 some hours into my second 3-day fast back to back. Weight this morning is 159.2 so a new weight decade. Yay! I will be breaking fast early evening today after a hospital procedure so do expect tomorrow to be back seeing that 160 number which my intellectual brain can understand but my whiney brain may not be happy about LOL.
So my BG at bedtime was 4.7 and upon arising this morning was 5.2. I’m thinking this means I have dawn phenomenon? ??? Thoughts please. ??
Additionally, after my coffee (with cream and stevia) my BG dropped to 4.8. This indicates to me that I am indeed secreting insulin thereby effectively actually breaking my fasts each time I have a coffee. Not a problem for me when fasting for weight loss but if for autophagy, clearly I will have to stick to water. I will be doing some n=1 testing down the road to see which items are the culprits specifically.

(Liz ) #152

Brenda was talking about stevia being insulinegenic, I think at the end of the March ZornFast thread.

(Tom McMillian) #153

So true but tough for me to do. Thanks for the reminder!

(Allie) #154

Stevia kicks me out of ketosis, even the pure liquid extract :frowning:

(Trish) #155

Yup. I read that thread too. I want to do some testing and record the data. I’m a data junkie LOL. I had noticed that eating bacon and eggs also lowers my BG. I wonder though, Liz, if when I eat nonglucose stuff causing insulin secretion (totally normal I know) if the fact that BG goes down, meaning it is driving existing BG into cells, does it mean I’m not insulin resistant since things seem to be then working exactly as they should? Hmmm

Im 61 hours into a fast that I don’t know how long will go. My longest fast so far is 45 hours. I’m bored, I don’t know what to do with my time when the baby is sleeping. I typically cook and eat during that time. Maybe I should break my fast, I have a headache. Clearly I don’t know what I’m doing!

(Dawn) #157

Thanks so much @collaroygal YOU ARE SO RIGHT about the powdered creamer. I was using it at work and never thought to turn the can around and read the label. I was shocked to find that the first ingredient was Corn Syrup solids. OHHHH NOOOOOOO!!! No wonder I haven’t been able to get into ketosis. Thanks for the warning. I am going to just stick with heavy cream for the first day or two and then move on without it

(Doug) #158

We certainly learn by doing. :slightly_smiling_face:

For a great many of us, the benefits of fasting are demonstrably there. Having some salt and other electrolytes might help with the headache…? Boredom really can be a thing - I hear you on that one. Reading this forum helps me there; a couple hours go by and I haven’t eaten anything.

You’re in your third day of fasting - getting some good autophagy results behind the scenes, now. If insulin resistance was a problem, you should be whittling it down a little. Life is long, and there are plenty more fasts out there, if you really need to end this one.

(Liz ) #159

I’ve no idea. I’ve never tested BG or learned the intricacies of what the readings mean.

(Troy) #160

Dr Berg did a recent study on this :thinking: