April 2018 IF/EF chat - all welcome

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #121

48 hours now and feel like I could go forever. Will see how tomorrow goes.

(Trish) #122

I did break my fast yesterday around 72 hours and jumped back into the next 72 hour fast so I’m about 28 hours at this point. I’m hungry. :frowning: I also worked today so had significantly more energy expenditure than I had over the previous couple days. Working tomorrow also.
BG earlier today was 4.2 BP 111/65 rechecked at 118/74. Weight just now was 162.0

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #123

I made it to 60 hours and had to stop. I couldn’t keep my body warm. Oh well, you guys be careful and fast On!

(Nicole Sawchuk) #124

Feasted on the weekend and now doing 42 hours which I will break today at lunch. I will do another 42 hour fast this week after some feasting. Finally starting to see the scale move. This morning is was down 3.5 lbs despite working out last night. I typically retain water after a workout so that was a pleasant surprise!

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #125

Did my first ever “over the weekend” fast. it was really empowering to know I can sit at the table and watch my friends and family eat, even have dessert and everything…

I was really used to do 5 day fasts last year, but wasn’t able to all winter (I hate feeling cold like the pest)
So it was hard for me to get the motivation to get back in the saddle.

I found out the following about myself:

• not using a timer is not an option, I will tend to cheat too much.
  • Setting my timer to 5 days also didn’t work because I would feel overwhelmed and feel like a failure when I didn’t get there which put me in a vicious cycle.

So this was my approach:
I set the timer to 24 hours, this I know I could do super easily. Once I hit that I was “I feel fine, the hunger isn’t too bad, let’s try another 24…” and so on.
I finally was able to do 5 days again, had to stop it on Monday though because I was feeling really fatigued and dizzy
(still trying to figure out that electrolyte issue for myself)

(Trish) #126

That’s a good strategy; small goals. :slight_smile:

(Natalie Palombi) #127

I’m almost to hour 38 and been feeling chilly since last night at about the 24 hour mark. I hadn’t associated it with fasting!

(Dawn) #128

Hi Friends. QQ. I am using Kettle and Fire bone broth (LOVE IT) as a crutch as I try to get back on the fasting wagon. It has about 14 grams of protein for the entire package. Is that too much? I want to make sure that I am not spiking my insulin with too much protein when I am supposed to be “fasting”. I am fasting to lower insulin levels and drop the extra weight that I gained over the last 45 days. I am stepping my way down to water only, but for right now, I need the bone broth. Also, what are the opinions regarding powdered creamers? They have almost no calories, so I wonder if they are ok for fasting. I have to drink coffee every morning in order to control my appetite but I can’t drink it black AND I don’t really want to add alot of fat to my diet right now since I have so much fat wiggling on my body already. I also don’t want the heavy creamer while fasting because of fat and calories. Advice? Opinions? Warnings? LOL! Thanks my friends.

(Liz ) #129

I’d have to see the ingredients list on the creamer to give an opinion. But FWIW I did a 4 day fast and lost about 5lbs that stayed off using about 300 calories of fat a day in my morning coffees so I don’t think fat kept me from losing fat. I mean, that’s the whole point of keto, yeah?

(Dawn) #130

thanks. You make alot of sense. Did you use sweetener as well? I am using sweet additions, but those little suckers are two carbs per pack

(Liz ) #131

No I gave up all sweeteners, too triggering. Now everything tastes sweet on its own and I’ve lost my taste for anything sweeter than that.

(Dawn) #132

SO you don’t do keto treats either? I have never tried them but I was looking forward to incorporating them after I reach goal

(Dawn) #133

What a great plan. I love it.

(Liz ) #134

No I’m a stone cold carb and sugar addict. I know where that stuff leads for me, I don’t dare poke the tiger. Honestly I don’t miss it now that it’s out of my life. I might add a few blueberries back in once my metabolism seems normalized but definitely not while I’m still in fat loss mode.

I’ve been on this low carb journey since 2003, though I’ve battled my weight my whole life. I’ve seen what carb creep does to me and I’m done fooling around. I’ve made peace with the idea that food is not a reward, eating is fun but it’s not FOR fun, and that I’d rather have bacon than something sweet. I did go through a period of actual bereavement when I gave up seeing food as a reward. It wasn’t easy, and nothing will probably ever fill the void in exactly the same way, but I do lots of other non-destructive things for rewards now and they will have to suffice.

I meant to say, I cannot drink black coffee, I’ve tried brewing it every which way to make it “smooth”, but NOPE, black coffee is disgusting. However adding one tbs of refined coconut oil and a dash of salt to my 16 oz and blending the heck out of it keeps it from tasting bitter to me and I like it very much.

(Dawn) #135

You always make so much sense. :grinning::grin::grinning:

(Dawn) #136

When you say dairy free, does that include cheese and butter?

(Dawn) #137

This is exceptional news. Very happy for you. Can you try doing something a little different this time where you only refeed for about 24 hours and then do another extended fast right away? Just wondering if that may help with keeping that weight down until you go into your next fasting cycle? Hmm? I am rooting for you. I know how frustrated you have been with trying to get the last few pounds off.

(Liz ) #138

Yes anything made from cow’s milk would be excluded.

Thanks for the kind words :blush:

Honestly I really do not enjoy fasting!! It’s pretty much all I can do to get any fasting done at all. I don’t feel too bad while I’m doing it I just prefer to eat LOL! And I like cooking meals for me and my husband every evening. Fasting once a week from 40-94 hours is what’s worked for me so far and I’m sticking with it. I’m still hovering around 162/3 since the last fast so something is helping.

(Dawn) #139

Hang in there, something has got to give and you will get to where you want to be.

I broke at the 48 hour mark. But I did test my ketones (with my new meter!) before I ate and it was 4.3 mmol! I am happy I got that high and now will start OMAD since I am getting used to not eating at work. The 48 hours was a good kickstart I think.