April 2017 Zornfast 20-23

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #1

This month’s group fast.
April 20-23rd.
I started practicing monthly fasts last February of 2016. I still gain great benefit.
Zornfasts are normally the third week of each month.
Join if you’d like, we’ll support each other here.
I always do a water fast. (water/ black coffee & tea). The definition of a fast is open to your interpretation and needs. Some will need to do a fat fast. There are benefits to that type of fast as well. I fast to target visceral (organ) fat and to promote autophagy. Fasting also releases HGH for muscle growth. I follow Dr. Jason Fung. Matter of fact, his book "The Obesity Code " is what started my venture into fasting a year ago. Because of the ketogenic diet I am no longer diabetic. Fasting managed to further improve my health dramatically since I have included it in my health regime.
You may want to include this drink during your fast (or some version of it). I drink 2-4 bottles a day while fasting.

Hobbit vs 2 Keto Dudes
Tips and Tricks
(Bacon for the Win) #2

I’ll be watching with interest. Leaning on fasting from the night of the 16th until the morning of the 20th because I am working those four nights. I’ve been IFing on work nights…keeps me from eating crap all night. So I think a 3 or 4 day fast is doable at this point.

I’ll keep your 3rd week of the month in mind for May.

(Jaidann) #3

I’m going to watch too! I’ve never been able to fast because I’m a pig! LOL … but I’m also confused on it so I’m excited to see this in action.

(Annette) #4

I will join you; however, I am going to start tomorrow (Friday, April 14th) and continue through Monday, April 17th, and possibly Tuesday, April 18th.

(Bacon for the Win) #5

have decided to just keep IFing over nights for now. Not feeling mentally ready.

(Barbara Greenwood) #6

I am interested… tell me more. 20th-23rd… 4 full days?

I’m assuming people can decide for themselves how much of it to do, but could I e.g. start Thursday, then break the fast on Saturday evening… or Sunday morning?

What do you guys actually do with this?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #7

Yes @Barbara_Greenwood
You can decide how to arrange your fast. Most of us start Thursday and go through Sunday in order to fast together and support each other in the same time frame.

(Nathan Hall) #8

Alright! I’m finally going to get to join you this time.
I’m going to start tomorrow morning so I can finish mid-day Sunday. (Birthday party for my four year old)

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #9

Cool @NathanHall

I am looking forward to this one. I have fasted at least once a month for the last year. Last month I skipped it and I MISS it! I feel so good when I fast and for several days after.

(Steve) #10

Started mine already on Monday. Maybe I can catch next month.

Hi all, I’m new, this is my first post, and it got a bit long, sorry. I thought I’d jump in the deep end and tag along here. (Had to do a site search to work out what strange ritual a Zornfast was first though. Love the name.)

I’m T2D. Been following the LCHF/keto WOE since the end of February. I tried LCHF a few years ago but my doctor talked me out of it. Early March I discovered the incredible Dr Fung and bought his fasting book. I’ve tried a couple of 42 hour fasts successfully, but I’ve not got beyond that. When I’ve tried to fast recently I’ve only managed about 20 hours. However, I’m being kind to myself. It’s early days.

Disappointingly, my blood sugars haven’t changed much. I’ve read all these stories where people are saying “in two weeks my sugars were normal”. Not my journey unfortunately, but at this stage, I’m trying not to get too discouraged and just keep telling myself my body has some healing to do and then things will right themselves. I’ve given myself until July to see some progress. I am losing some weight which is nice!

Anyway, I’ve feasted today and I’m interested to see how I go on a longer fast with some fellow travellers. Hopefully, it will keep me on track. I want to get to the autophagy stage.
I’m in Melbourne, Australia, btw, so my Thursday has just started…

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #12

Hi @Audrey! So happy you are here! Yes, unfortunately when we’ve been sick a long time, it also takes a long time to heal! I have been on the ketogenic diet over three years consistently and am STILL healing (still seeing improvement).

My A1c is normal now but dawn phenomenon only relatively recently stopped happening to me. I seem to get a bit lower on BG when fasting each time. In February I did a 10 day water fast and saw a 69 blood glucose reading once!!! Mostly my BG stay comfortably at or under 100 now, usually 80’s and 90’s nonfasting.

I love Dr. Fung’s book, “The Obesity Code”. I have the fasting guide as well. You will become well on the ketogenic diet. All you need to do is remain consistent and be patient.

Do you listen to the 2KetoDudes podcasts? I am interviewed on episode #21

I’ll try and have a go at this too - I’ve only been keto (this time) for a month but I’ll give it a shot. I’ve done a 5 day fast about 6 months ago, before I slipped (badly) out of keto.

(Sierra) #14

I’m all in!!! Been waiting for this one. I’m currently out of keto! I’ve been keto since January 5th but I currently have pneumonia and the meds I was on at the start were all based in sugar syrup. Since I couldn’t breath at the time I didn’t really care much. Then I ate a chocolate Easter bunny and I’ve seen over the past few days the amount of cravings all day long! It’s been surprising at how I just want to eat every two hours. On keto I forget to eat!!! Anyhow, I’m doing a 24 hour fast today and then I’ll eat dinner and start with you all tomorrow. Looking forward to reducing some inflammation and getting my body back into fat burning mode.
Also, Brenda thanks for the KetoAide recipe. I’m going to do that this time.

Thank you for sharing that @Brenda. It’s very encouraging – and motivating. I can’t even imagine getting consistent low BG like that yet.

However, I do feel better in myself already, so even if the numbers aren’t appearing as I’d like, I am completely sure I’m on the right path now.

I am going to try and tattoo this on my brain. Or at least stick it on my mirror. :smile:

And, good luck @Vampire! (And everyone else.)

(Newimprovedme ) #16

@Brenda when you say you start the fast on Thursday, do you mean your last meal is Wednesday night …and you break the fast Sunday morning?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #17

I used to start my fast after dinner Thursday night, and go until dinnertime Sunday night.

I kind of changed strategies over the last year. I find the first 24 hour mark difficult, so I eat late into Wednesday night, so the 24 hour mark arrives much after I go to bed early Thursday night. Once I get past that first night, fasting is easy for me.

I also tend to feast the day before I start my fast.

Remember, you can change the times any way you would like, but I will be fasting from around midnight tonight until 4 pm Sunday. That’s 88 hours or 8 hours shy of four full days, a perfect amount of time for me :slight_smile:

I’ve started, just water and black coffee. I took my morning vitamins, krill oil and Berberine as usual.

(Barbara Greenwood) #19

Hi folks - I’ve decided not to join after all, for a couple of reasons. The first is, a bit of… umm… domestic opposition to the idea of a longer fast. The other is that, for the past week, I’ve been doing Dinner and Done, i.e. no snacking after my evening meal. And the result of that is, after a 3 month stall, the scales are down 3lb in a week.

I seem to have “changed it up” a la Megan Ramos and got a good result. So I’m going to keep longer fasts in reserve for now and see how things go for a while.

I hypothesise that by extending my daily IF window from 15 up to the full 18 hours I’ve allowed my fasting insulin to drop for longer, with positive results.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #20

I’d bet money on this.

In my own experience I had dramatic positive results when I began incorporating IF (Intermittent Fasting, for those who don’t know) into my health regime.

I practice 20/4 IF most days, and actually prefer waiting until after 4 pm to eat my lone meal.