Tips and Tricks

(Kevin Ruther) #1

I thought I’d share some tips and tricks for fasting. Dr. Fung’s book has a great tips and tricks section which I found very useful. Since reading it, I’ve discovered a couple more that have helped me. I’ll update as I find more and comment if something I think works end up sucking.

What’s worked for you?

My tips and tricks

• Cascade Weight Chart: If you’re doing the “Worker’s Fast”, I’ve found that lining up weight by days of the week helps. It’s nice to compare where you were a week ago with similar hydration levels, food in the intestine levels, etc. I line my chart with days of the week for the columns and the week number for the rows. I start the week on the morning after my last feed day and end the week the weigh in after my last day fasting (Saturday through Friday).

• Cumulative Progress: Since I’m trying to lose fat and have keto as a backstop, all I’m concerned with is racking up a cumulative number of days fasting. If I have 20 pounds of fat to lose, then I only need 40 fasting days to get there (using Dr. Fung’s 0.5 lbs of fat burned per day of fasting). I like thinking about it this way because I can mix and match any fasting schedule that suites my needs (couple 1 day fasts, a 4 day fast, a Zorn Fast, etc.). If I give myself 12 months hit my goal, then I only need to successfully fast less than 11% of the time! Where else can you score 11% on a test and still pass?

(Dustin Cade) #2

I really need to read his book! I have a good amount of weight to lose in my journey, though I do not want to lose it to fast as I want my skin to be able to keep up as best as it can…

(bulkbiker) #3

Then you need to fast too… hehe as autophagy is supposed to help with skin tightening…

(Dustin Cade) #4

I’m fasting, though only looking to lose a couple pounds a week… though i’d rather be done with the weight loss portion…

(Jennifer) #5

That second point is interesting. I went back and counted my fasting days - I started fasting on 2/10 and have fasted a total of 33 days. I have lost 36 pounds since then.

Obesity Code is amazing - its a must read.

(Kevin Ruther) #6

You are a machine!

(Jennifer) #7

Just a control freak - lol. Saying no to food is much easier than managing macros.

(Nicole Bowling) #8

I’ve wondered about this… kinda worried about it too, after losing 10#/month. I didn’t want to loose too much because of my skin. I am fasting tho, so that makes me happy!

(Kevin Ruther) #9

Hopefully autophagy will help breakdown the unneeded protein in your loose skin.