Another post about not losing weight

(Diane) #102

Add extra egg yolks when cooking eggs.

Oh wow, that is fascinating!!! Iā€™d love to find out more info about that!

OK @blakjaxx,
I have taken your advice and gone heavy on veggies and salad, and dropped levels of animal based foods dramatically.
It is only two days and the scales have already dropped 1.5 kg!!!
And no - it isnt poo weight either !! (TMI - apologies for that)

Blood glucose levels are down and ketones are up.

Fingers crossed as it is very early days, but this may be the answer :slight_smile:

This forum rocks!!!
Thanks so much xxx

(Ron) #105

Do a search on here ā€œvegan ketoā€ and some great stuff comes up.

Oh my gosh! Thatā€™s wonderful!!! Iā€™m so happy itā€™s working for you!!! :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for the link!! Iā€™m going to look into it.

What I have done is really rediscovered my dormant vegan.
I thought it had died a natural death but it was actually lurking with intent!!

As I am reactive to dairy, eggs and red meat, I have just used the vegan diet as a base and adding fish instead of tofu.
I really donā€™t like soy based foods, but I do like fish.
I get plenty of animal protein and fat, as I am choosing oilier fish, but lots of veggies and salad.

Anyway, the trend continues.
Down another 500 gm over the last two days :slight_smile:

Wow, thatā€™s oddly familiar. Iā€™m the same way with dairy and red meat. Iā€™ve never been big on dairy, except cheese. Iā€™ve never been one to drink a glass of milk- yuck!! And red meat used to be ok except for the past year or so. Possibly mildly sensitive to eggs too, but no major problems. Iā€™ve just started to dislike them. The only meat I have is chicken and salmon. And VERY occasionally bacon, even though I cannot stand pork- never have. Iā€™m on of the very rare weirdos who donā€™t worship bacon, ha ha! I cannot do soy either- it makes me break out big time, almost like an allergic reaction.

Iā€™m not sure if I want to give up chicken and salmon yet to go full vegan, but I am considering it. Iā€™m researching it more though. Going by my natural tastes and cravings, itā€™s been primarily veggies I want. Iā€™m the kind of person who would rather have another helping of roasted veggies than dessert!

(Arlene) #110

Hey Blakjaxx, Just wondering if your veggie experiment continued to bring you weight loss success. Your last post was June 22. Itā€™s now mid September. How are things going?

(Kom Ha) #111

Are you on any meds? Birth control? Antidepressants?

Iā€™m 5ā€™1 and have been at your weight. Iā€™m 122 now (itā€™s shark week) but 120 is my current baseline. My GW = 115. 1400 will keep you at 130. I know because I was there. I recommend 1000-1200 calories. Us petite people have to start counting calories when we hit a certain weight, keto or no keto.

(Elaine) #112

Hope this is the right place to launch my question.

Iā€™m healthy, no insulin issues. I do keto for the health and to lose some fat.
Have done keto off and on for probably 10 years. Felt great doing it. Prefer this way of eating.

Hereā€™s a snapshot of how/what I consume since 2015 up until summer of 2021:

1. 3 or 4 cups of coffee with HWC every day.
  2. delayed meal until 5 or 6. Meal would typically be very low carb, salad with protein or protein only and veggies. I donā€™t count macros. I keep it simple, as Eric Westman suggests.
  3. Definitely in ketosis. hardly hungry.
  4. Went to the gym part of that time, havenā€™t been to the gym since covid.
  5. Lost 10 to 12 pounds and loved it! Enjoyed all the benefits of keto.

Hereā€™s a snapshot of what I consumed beginning summer of 2021:

2. On weekends, introduced 3 meals and carbs. (started datingā€¦man itā€™s HARD to stay on keto when other people are involved with meals!)
  3. During the week, cut out all carbs, delayed meal till 5 or 6. Same as above, low carb, protein and salad/veggies.
  4. No working out.
  5. Gained 10 pounds. Hate it. Frustrated to see weight creep up.

Hereā€™s a snapshot of what Iā€™ve been doing for the last three weeks:

2. Low carb all week and weekend. OMAD, as above. Iā€™m hardly hungry.
  3. Definitely in ketosis according to the dark purple ketone strips.
  4. Have fluctuated between losing the same pound over and over again.

Iā€™m puzzled why I havenā€™t lost weight like when I initially started keto.
Iā€™m well into ketosis. I believe Iā€™m fat adapted. Iā€™m not hungry.
I donā€™t see my clothes fitting different or changes in the mirror.

Have wondered if metabolism slowed, but also thinking that my eating habits changed over summer and that would have stirred them a bit.

Eric Westman says to not add fats to your coffee/mct oils, etc. And to allow your body to consume body fat for energy. I agree with that.

Yesterday I decided maybe I need to consume more carbs/calories. Today Iā€™m still in ketosis, but gained a pound.

I sure donā€™t understand whatā€™s happening.

I believe Iā€™ve ignited all the hormone changes that need to be in effect for ketosis and fat burning.

Any thoughts of whatā€™s missing? I thank you for your time.

Iā€™m 69 yo. 5ā€™ 10" 131 pounds. No IR.
A year ago I was at 120 pounds and felt great. I know some will say thatā€™s too little. Thatā€™s my body without the abdomen fat, without carbs/sugar and processed food. When Iā€™m able to go to the gym, I build muscle.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #113

The problem with using euphemisms, instead of saying what we mean, is that they make us forget that ā€œweightā€ consists of lean mass as well as fat mass. Since muscle and bone are denser than fat, it is possible to grow heavier without growing fatter. If you are not seeing any difference in the fit of your clothing, then Iā€™m not sure what your reasons are for figuring that a higher scale weight is a problem. It is entirely possible that you added some muscle or strengthened your bones.

In any case, eating more carbohydrate is not likely to be the solution.

(Elaine) #114

Really? In what way are you thinking I didnā€™t say what I mean? I believe you might be assuming that Iā€™ve gone to the gym and added muscle. I can assure you that hasnā€™t happened and even when I WENT to the gym, it didnā€™t happen. I donā€™t have that body.

My statement ā€œI donā€™t see my clothes fitting different or changes in the mirror.ā€ means exactly what it says. My body still reflects a 10 pound gain.

I also said: Have wondered if metabolism slowed, but also thinking that my eating habits changed over summer and that would have stirred them a bit."

Help me understand your comment please.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #115

Ah, so, are you saying that your ten-pound gain was reflected in changes in the fit of your clothing? Iā€™m sorry, I was reading that sentence, the other way. I guess you meant that you are not seeing your clothing getting any looser after the gain, instead of saying that the gain was not reflected in the fit of your clothing, as was my understanding. My apologies.

My comment was prompted by some documented studies, in which some participants added lean muscle as well as shedding excess fat. Dr. Phinney tells of one such case, in a short study he conducted on some obese women. All but one of the participants lost something like14 pounds on a ketogenic diet, except for one woman, who was frustrated that she had only lost 7. When they did a body composition scan, they found that she had indeed lost as much fat as the other participants, but she had also spontaneously gained lean mass, meaning that the scale reading alone failed to show her progress. So it is important to recognise that both processes can occur simultaneously.

So, if you have gained fat, not muscle, by going off your ketogenic diet, the return to a ketogenic diet is likely not to have as quick an effect as the first time around did. Or at least, thatā€™s the general experience on these forums.

Also to bear in mind is that cutting calories can have the opposite effect from what we intend, as short rations can signal to the body that there is a famine going on, causing it to hunker down and hang on to its resources. Give the body an abundant diet, on the other hand, and the metabolism ramps up and the body feels safe parting with its fat reserves again. Many forum members have reported that their fat loss did not start until they began eating more, not less, on their low-carb ketogenic diet.

(Elaine) #116

Thank you for clarifying.

Yep, thatā€™s what I was thinking. Iā€™ve read too that starting keto after a long period of time is more of a challenge. In fact, I read a comment that you get one shot at keto. Canā€™t hardly believe that or humans wouldnā€™t have survived.

Iā€™m trying to piece my experience together and see whatā€™s missing or what need adjustment.

Iā€™m not hungry.
I eat one meal a day. VERY low carb.
Iā€™m in deep ketosis.
Iā€™ve even fasted 48 hours with little change.

Could metabolism be slowed even if youā€™re eating to satiation? I feel that I have enough calorie intake cause the heavy whipping cream has calories. Plus meat and veggies count for something.

Iā€™m listening to podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-carnivore-diet-for-women-success-story-amber-o-hearn/id1228136261?i=1000402592191 which already has pointed out several provocative issues. One being that ketosis the ā€˜stateā€™ that people want to achieve. But that reaching the ā€˜state of ketosisā€™ might not be the only gem of finding your bodyā€™s metabolic high point. The conversation on the podcast starts about the 19 minute mark. I need to hear it again. It means just cause youā€™re in ketosis, your body can be responding to all sorts of dietary signals from foods youā€™re eating.

Iā€™m not giving up, Iā€™m far too vain and at my age, I want to be sure Iā€™m going into the next couple decades as healthy and proactive as I can.