Another newby - day 3

(Roberta) #1

Another newby here - have tried low carb type diet before but always gave in to the carb cravings within 0-3 weeks of starting. I have tried years of low-fat diets - lost and regained plus more. That isn’t working for me. I have 2 little boys (2 and 7) and having weight related medical issues (high BP).

When I tried other low-carb type diets - I never really let myself eat fat without guilt.

I tried to start on Monday but discovered I was not really prepared - so started Monday and Tuesday out well - but had some carby-stuff a couple times during the day. Wednesday, Thursday and now Friday things are going better.

My husband, Frank, who knows @carl & @devhammer from .NET work suggested this and I decided to give it a try. I am the cook in the family so when I am on-board it makes his diet easier also.

Still part-time breastfeeding my 2 year old.

Roberta

(G. Andrew Duthie) #2

Welcome!

The #food:recipes-recipes-recipes category is your friend here. TONs of good recipes for both meals and treats.

Since it sounds like Frank is on-board, and the kids will have to follow suit, the best thing you can do is rid the house of carbage, and stock up on meats, nuts, bacon, cheese, and pork rinds. And with respect to fats, make sure you keep butter on hand for topping and eating, coconut or avocado oil for cooking, etc. Another good fat source is Mascarpone cheese. Cream cheese can be good, particularly with cheese crisps (I like the Whisps brand that some Costco stores carry), but check the carb count…some brands are higher than others, and it can add up.

One of the things I’ve found is that where I used to avoid the fat on things like steaks and pork ribs, now that I’ve gotten over the fat phobia, they’re my favorite part (particularly when the fat’s a little crispy). Chicken skin, too. When my wife cooks up a batch of chicken broth, she’ll usually roast chicken legs before tossing them in the instant pot, and she pulls the crispy skin off for me. Yum!

Congrats on getting started with Keto!

(Roberta) #3

What if the kids won’t eat? Seriously we have some of the pickiest kids, hence the extended nursing for both of them since they need nutrition.

At daycare they will try new things - but at home it’s eggs and pancakes is all they eat. Should we just pack it all up and let them deal with it?

My oldest won’t even eat typical crap kid food - won’t eat mac-n-cheese or chicken nuggets anymore unless forced. I don’t believe is force eating/food bribery either. He will eat cucumbers, celery with cream cheese and scrambled eggs, and that is just about it.

(John) #4

That is all up to you. My kids will eat what they’re fed or they won’t eat. They will get enough one way or another, it doesn’t take long to break the habit. Eat what I make or have sleep for dinner. I think there have been maybe 3 missed meals, sometimes something not eaten, but if there body needs it they will want it.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #5

This. ^^

Our family isn’t 100% keto, sad to say, but hard to make the case as I’m the only one in the family who’s struggled with weight (yes, I know it’s not the only thing, but it’s the one that’s most visible). But what kids will eat is ultimately up to the person who does the shopping. If they’re hungry enough, they will eat what’s offered. Not saying that there won’t be some unpleasantness in the adjustment…but if you get them adjusted while they’re young, you can permanently change your family tree.

Good thing that all those options are already pretty keto-friendly.

Eggs…totally awesome. Pancakes, well, maybe try these:

I also like cream cheese-based pancakes:

This recipe is my current favorite, as it’s very easy and quite tasty…in fact, I may make some once I end my current fast:

So given what you’ve said they prefer…that should give you a very good start.

But even if you can make them exactly what they want and keep it keto, this might be a really good opportunity to institute a rule of eating what mom or dad cooks, with few if any exceptions. Will save preparing two completely different meals for the adults, and for the kids, and I’m betting that, once they get used to it, they’ll be fine.

(Roberta) #6

thanks for all the suggestions - I think I didn’t explain it well - those are the only keto-friendly foods he will eat - otherwise he wants bread/plain pasta/plain rice and fruit. Oh and brownies, candy and anything sweet.

(Roberta) #7

The worst was when Frank was eating low-carb, I was not, J super picky and baby on baby food. Fortunately the little one eats more now - but has also started getting picky. I am going to try the pork rind pancakes - but I have never even tried a pork rind to be honest they have never appealed to me.

At least Frank and I are eating nearly the same thing now - and we will have the little dudes try more as we make more.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #8

The pork rind pancakes/waffles taste NOTHING like pork rinds themselves. Take a look at that thread under the recipe. Lots of happy campers, and waffles too!

(G. Andrew Duthie) #9

Notwithstanding the pancake recipe, I personally find pork rinds / cracklins to be a staple food, because they satisfy the “salty, crunchy” snack need, meaning that crackers, potato chips, etc., have no hold on me. :slight_smile:

If the kids will only eat certain keto-fied foods, maybe they need to learn to cook those. :smiley:

You can work with thay. Make pancakes out of cream cheese and eggs.

(Roberta) #11

Hope everyone’s week if off to a great start!

I was doing pretty well - down 7.8 lb - on day 7 now - yesterday I started having some serious cravings - I tried one of those mug cocoa cakes last night with a little no sugar added ice cream - helped for yesterday. Feeling the same again today.

DH is out of town - when cleaning the house up I found a ton of leftover Easter Candy which is hard to resist. I went to IHOP last night with friend and the kids so I didn’t have to cook - I had a grilled chicken salad and some eggs over easy.

I am just not finding myself very interested in the keto foods like I was last week.

(Michelle) #12

The further you can get away from carbs, the more you will not crave them, or cave into having any. I think it takes a while to just turn the other cheek, but eventually you can get there. Just think about the health benefits!!

And, if you aren’t hungry, don’t eat. Don’t try to force food. A lot of times, my regular go-to keto food is not appealing. So I will sit there for a while and decide if anything sounds good. If not, then I don’t eat. Just drink a lot of water and switch gears. If I get hungry later, and something strikes my fancy, then I make it.

Easy keto!! and so many options to choose from. Lately, I have been digging the pseudo chicken parm. yummy.

(Roberta) #13

Thanks!

Sometimes the problem is that I am hungry - but I am not wanting anything I can think of that fits, Also, I am breastfeeding still (mostly at night) so I have to be mindful of that because I can get Hangry at nights/anytime really.