Another Carnivore Thread

I personally don’t know. I never researched any of this so I can’t give you an educated answer on it. Someone on ZIOH probably could :slight_smile: I know I don’t have info on this.

Overeating to me, ON A carnivore menu does not exist.

Overeating as a word in the weight loss world has negative association tied to it. Bad ones. You ate more than your share. You ate more than your allowed calories you bad person. You should be punished for eating too much, no food for you til tomorrow cause you overate already early in the day. You should not overeat you piggy you…this is my association with it and more to me. Overeating is a bad thing when we chat in weight loss forums on it. There is nothing good said about overeating on a ‘diet chat forum’ that I ever found :slight_smile:

Now one can fill their belly full of meat and feel uncomfortable? Sure.
If on carnivore plan did you overeat? Hell no ya didn’t LOL
Carnivore is allowed to eat all they can. Did we push into uncomfortable, yea the belly is full but we did nothing negative at all.

We did no harm to our body from that food we did eat. Is our belly too full cause we crammed in a few more bites, yea, —but did we overeat and do true harm according to our plan we follow? Nope. Does our meat harm us ever? Nope.

I never zonk out on zero carb. Never. I can eat so much and while I might feel uncomfortable and don’t wanna do jumping jacks for fear my meat might come back up doing that LOL I sure am not zonking out. I can easily do things very full. I don’t zonk out like a carb loaded meal would kill me. That would make me very tired. Carb slug. I don’t get meat sluggy feelings ever from my food intake.

So I never experience zonk out or any ‘bad’ from eating til very full on zero carb. Now that could be cause of my long time on plan. Everyone will vary in their journey, where they are at in their timeline eating carnivore so…my experience now might not be anothers. I get that.

(Shane) #1011

Yep, that’s one thing I would think of as overeating. I do workouts or, say, mowing the lawn before I eat because I know I won’t want to or be able to work as hard after eating.

I had a kilo of fatty meat, 4 eggs and 900g of sour cream. I expected to feel bad afterwards, but didn’t. I haven’t had any dairy since.
A couple of weeks ago I was on the road and then my boat. I had 600g of sour cream and maybe 300-400g of hard cheese and had a terrible night and ended going home the next day after it was safe to travel :poop:

(Shane) #1012

You gave an answer in your first reply.
My point would be that no one can give good advise with zero knowledge of the circumstances. I’m sure if I looked I could find a number of reason not eat much meat. Actually a member of my household has high iron levels and has to be careful not to eat too much red meat. She eats a lot of ham and pork with added cream and some stuff from the spice rack.

(Shane) #1013

A bit more info about my 3000-5000kcal per day and stalling.
@barefootbob, list of benefits near the start of this thread have been similar here. Of note is being leaner. Even though I was probably eating more than I needed to, particularly to lose weight, I became noticeably, to me, leaner, put on muscle and dropped a couple of clothes sizes while staying the same weight.
After the 6000kcal day I dropped to around 3000kcal or a bit less per day eating just beef and eggs. Ran out of beef yesterday and had bacon and eggs and pork later. Weight loss has restarted and I dropped another kg bringing total loss so far to 46kg. I still want to lose more, but I think I’ve passed the point of big losses and I’ve entered the second phase where I work on getting leaner and add more muscle. I could see a difference in leanness after that 1kg, as well as a tightening of some loose skin.
All I have to do is lose another 14kg total while adding 5-10kg of muscle to get back where I started before I put on 60kg and lost muscle.
That’s going to be a fun challenge for a lazy bloke in his 60’s with a lifetime of injuries. I know it will require a lot of quality protein on a stricter carnivore diet.

yes I did. A correct answer to your question posted from basic carnivore guidelines. :slight_smile:

Had you stated it that way the first time you would have gotten a different answer. It is up to the poster to give all the info needed in their post. They leave out vital info then that is one them.

Every individual has their own set of ‘whatevers’ in life. If you don’t mention them how can one ever make an informed reply back? Can’t happen. Trick questions leaving out info won’t work LOL

This has been on my mind. And like any thinking gravity it is attracting more particles of information.

On immune mediated arthritis:

Yes, Mikhaila Peterson - acknowledgement.

I have a faint recollection that the scientist Gabor Edosi (sp) spoke of immune mediated arthritis in his lower back that originated from bacterial toxin in his gut that produced antigens in his blood stream leading to the arthritis. That was reversed when he stopped providing that gut biome bug the wheat based nutrition it needed to thrive. I think that was from an interview on the Fat Emperor podcast with Ivor Cummins.

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/ankylosing-spondylitis/76710

On rebuilding cartilage:
One of the Doctors on The Low Carb MD podcast mentioned a talk with Prof Ben Bikman in which the Professor talks about the ability to regrow some cartilage in physically worn down joints by creating a low insulin and low glucose (low oxidative stress) environment for the joints to heal. I haven’t heard Ben Bikman ever mention this. It was in reference to the unexpected joint pain relief over and above weight loss benefits for low carb ketogenic eaters. I wonder how that approach would combine with bone broth as an amino acid (glycine) source plus vitamin C, and pentosan polysulphate sodium administration?

Has anyone come across these two data points, or have links?

(Daisy) #1016

To me, overeating is eating past my comfort level. Eating so that I feel sick/uncomfortable/sluggish after.

I have multiple eating disorders, binge eating being the biggest one. I know carnivore is supposed to “cure” that, and maybe with enough time it would, but I have other battling disordered eating that interferes with that. I love @Fangs, I truly do, but unfortunately life and carnivore isn’t as simple black and white for some people as it is for you. I wish it was. I want to have food freedom. I listen to the ketogenic girl podcast and her story is so similar to mine. Keto and then carnivore easily gave her everything her heart desired, including food freedom. I desire that so much. But it’s not that easy for me. I have multiple food demons that battle in this “not quite right” head of mine. I’m trying to work through them. I’m trying to find my food freedom. But I’m not there yet. My only request for you is that you remember that it may not be as simple for some as it is for others and that we’re all fighting our unique battles.

For instance, taking your advice, I tried the eating so much meat that I couldn’t possibly eat another bite. I was eating over 2 lbs a day. It didn’t feel right, my waistline was expanding, and that (now that I’m thinking hard about it) was the beginning of my digestive issues. Now. Was it the 2+ lbs of meat or was it that it was the store bought discount meat? I don’t know. What I know is when I stopped both, the digestive issues went away and I started feeling better. I haven’t had the courage to try either again yet. I’m trying to figure out what works for my body. I’m just not there yet. But when I hear you say over and over that it’s impossible to overeat on carnivore, it does frustrate me a little, because just because you may not be able to overeat, doesn’t mean others can’t. Some of us are still pretty broken. But I do appreciate your candidness and your willingness to help everyone!

That would be the very definition of overeating, yes. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oh, this is about emotional eating disorders and for some, true medical diagnosis situations. Ok. I understand that. Something that alters the physical body, thru brain or science, to make one overeat.

Thing is you are forcing down a ton of meat to satisfy some psychological situation with yourself. Eating disorders. That is your demon and a path you need to walk. I know about it.

That isn’t a normal body response, in that a person not having eating disorders just eats as much as they want, til they are full, stops when full and done. Rinse and repeat.

Fighting eating disorders and emotions linked with food is an added weight some must bear. Some have to bear medical situations that mess up carnivore. They have to find their own way thru it.

This is how I see it truly. Carnivore allows all the darn meat and seafood on each and every day you eat. How can one overeat on that if the guidelines are eat all the hell you want? No. I will never see that part as overeating. The body will shut down your food intake at some point, but your mind is then taking control and making your body ingest more foods. Your body is asking for no extra food, your psyche is making it ingest food. These are different thoughts for me.

BUT now throw in a possible eating disorder and other situations that are food related and are messing with a person, sure I get that, and that is to be handled by that person. Finding what works for them. Everyone has to bob and weave thru life navigating their situations.

If you physically only want to eat a 1 lb. steak and feel full and happy and want no more truly…then your head says eat another 1 lb. steak to throw your body out of whack, gut disturbance comes into play and force feed yourself beyond any reasonable level, then you have a situation to be handled. An eating disorder situation. It would then be smart obviously to seek help for this disorder or whatever path you deem fit. Correct/control/deal/heal from this eating disorder in any way thru professional help maybe and then the carnivore plan becomes more of a physical body situation again. As in the body only wants 1 lb. of steak per day, your head then allows that to happen if one can heal from an eating disorder in some fashion. We don’t force down another 1 lb. steak from an eating disorder mentality and override the physical bodies requests.

So your body is not asking you to overeat and force food. Your mind is in control of your body thru an eating disorder. Your physical body will not allow you to overeat. But your mind will allow that to happen and our minds are obviously a very big part of us.

Some of us are still broken. I so understand that. I never like to say this ever from me but I did some binge/purge. Long ago. In fact when I started this behavior I also realized I needed a plan that I could eat with abandon, and a plan that could allow me more food freedom long term. I have it in my past but I also know it can and does surface every now and then. Sad but true. It easy by a long shot :slight_smile: We all have broken levels in us. Everyone’s walk will be very different. Everyone will need help in different ways thru our lives.

Yes I absolutely agree one can force feed overeat and wreck their body on any menu plan they choose to eat. I do understand one can severely cause physical upset in their bodies from forcing food and not having a comfortable relationship with food.

But the disorder is causing the overeating to this level. Not the carnivore plan. Maybe not a Keto plan. Not any plan a person is choosing to support their eating style but the shadowy problem that is lurking behind. An eating disorder. Maybe a real medical situation and more. I absolutely understand that.

I am wishing you nothing but the best. I mean we are all walking thru troubles. But a lot of us are at different stages in our journeys. Most we can do is chat out situations and hope we can find some advice and more to help ourselves best we can or to veer toward a path to give us support.

I can concede on how I typed out what I said. I should type one can not overeat on a carnivore plan if they have no outstanding medical or psychological situations that could definitely alter their bodies normal eating levels. I get it. How I type it out might seem so black and white when I say it that way. I can change up how I say it LOL

I haven’t read all the replies here, apparently things get busy when I’m away.

Anyway, it’s kind of funny the varying takes on the meaning of overeating.
It’s like watching a catholic and an evangelical argue over differing interpretations of the same text. :laughing:

oh my goodness…your brain made you do it ya know. The carnivore plan did not make you overeat ya know…your own brain said you couldn’t waste that food and eat it up…haha

your body was telling you to stop. what the carnivore plan does for a person. now you gotta deal with the other part that made ya eat those last bites.

so your brain said overeat. the tummy said don’t do it-----HEE HEE

ok I am coming at this from a different point of view literally from ya’ll. I get that now HA HA A different angle of thought on it. It is all cool. Ya’ll overeat all you want :slight_smile: You got me laughing here bob!!

Sorry guys if my angle of approach wasn’t melding with how others were viewing this. Just different approach to what we were discussing.

I actually have put on a few pounds. Going to clean it back up a bit as have been having wine in the evenings since I’ve been out for Christmas.
Have also been having trouble with my shoulders. I injured them both at different times years ago (one was a partial rotator tear). I’m not sure if I got overzealous working out, I ramped up daily pushups too quickly, if it could still be some oxylate related issues in the previously injured joints, or if I have a deficiency or other issue. I wouldn’t think it’s arthritis because this is about the most anti-inflammatory way of eating imaginable but I suppose it could be. I hope not because if I’ve got arthritis eating carnivore then I’m f’d on that front.

Anyway, cutting the wine to see if that drops the few lbs and to see if that helps with the shoulders. If that doesn’t do it I’ll cut the decaf coffee out too as that will be that last plant toxin.
On the oxylate front, any idea how long dumping can go on?

Remember also tho putting on a few lbs. could be just what your body needs to repair itself. Gaining some weight happens to some zero carb people because it is exactly what the body does require.

but the wine. I must say I don’t do well with alcohol in my body now eating zero carb. It can easily make me gain weight. Put the body systems out of whack a bit, hold onto water, add inflammation back into the body and more. So yea, sad to say it can effect some of us poorly.

Overzealous working out. Could easily be just that?

I found this on the net: Recovering from oxalates is far more difficult as they take a lot longer to get out of your system. Something that you eat today that is high in oxalates may take up to 12 months to be excreted. The problem is that the excretion process can cause a bit of a rollercoaster ride to remission.

And maybe longer for more severe situations?

Yeah, hoping it’s oxylate or just having overdone it, or that my body is not liking the wine. My shoulders and some other joints have gotten very “poppy” recently.

best thing you can do is experiment a bit on yourself. only way you can know a few things that might improve you or ???

one thing I know for you, you will go in the best direction for yourself!!

I’m a bit of an experimenter, obviously, but I don’t like this at all. Makes me feel old and creaky.

oh hell right there with ya some days!

do we have to just give into old and creaky coming at us or are we gonna fight it tooth and nail? HA

F that! I fight like hell. :wink:

Side effect of being descended from all warrior cultures dropped out of time into a land without dragons to slay. :laughing:

Wow and I used to think I could eat…

I saw different definitions and even I have multiple ones.
Normally I consider overeating eating above our energy need (our eating may affect that, though. if I eat way over my need and my metabolism gets super quick and I use up all - genetics -, it’s still overeating for me as I wastefully eat too much. I don’t function better just because I use up more energy I normally need).
I don’t really consider it overeating if it’s for a single day, I just eat for my next day too to some extent, it works for me (I always eat for my next day, actually as my first meal is usually around 3-6pm).

But if you eat too much at once and you feel uncomfortably full, nauseous, tired, that may be considered overeating too. Or if you consume too much protein or something and it’s bad for you.

I spent much time with my beef, I will write about my thoughts and experiences (there are a lot) another time.

I never had a day anything like this before. Beef (~1.3 lbs) and barely anything else. I will be surely full for a day. I can’t imagine a greater satiation without serious negative things (I am just lazier than usual now). My stomach isn’t too full or anything, I am just extremely satiated, my hunger, appetite and eating abilities are nowhere to found until tomorrow afternoon or evening. Meat worked just like I expected. It’s as satiating for me as any other fatty protein.
I ate way over my protein need but it’s fine, I just don’t want to do this very often. It was a bit more expensive than usual day. But I wanted to try beef neck in various forms and I did.

The membrane was totally inedible but the cats didn’t think so, they loved it.

I made eggnog ice cream today. Without tasting it but that’s what my SO is for. I had meat so I didn’t miss my dairy at all today, that was yesterday when I ate 11 eggs. Eggs are great with cheese.