Alphabet soup confusion

(Tim Cee) #1

There are several abbreviations in popular use on the forum that I don’t understand. Is there a glossary?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Don’t know how up to date it is, but there’s this:

If you have a question about a term you don’t see on the list, post it, and we’ll add it to the wiki.

(Bob M) #3

Thanks for that. Think a TRE (time-restricted eating) is needed? Or is that not used? (I’ve started using it, as “intermittent fasting” has too many definitions, some of which completely conflict.)

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

Added it! Thanks for the suggestion.

When I first started “IF” it was around 2010-11 and that’s what Martin Berkhan, the guy who really made it a popular eating protocol called it. I prefer to use the term TRF now because to me fasting implies a longer timeframe but it’s really all semantics call it what you want. Breakfast = “break-fast”

(Bob M) #6

I used to say that IF was <24 hours and “extended” fasting was >24 hours.

However, I listened to one podcast by Bret Scher where he discussed “fasting” with three different people. All of them had a different definition of “IF”, one of which included fasts > 24 hours. After that, I gave up using that term.

Like you, I’d rather use TRE or TRF, as that implies to me that you’re eating at some point during a day. I’ll use “extended” fast to indicate >24 hours, that is, not eating at all during a day and sleeping without eating.