Advice from the Ketogenic forum for new keto'ers on 2KetoDudes

(Rosemary Easter) #103

My advice would be to start slowly, eliminating so called bad foods one at a time so that you do not suffer ill-effects from changing your WOE.

However, I was just going to post on here when I saw Richard’s post because I have just been reading this by Dr. Loren Cordain which I have found disturbing.

I have been on a keto woe for over a year and at the moment am totally fine (age 64) but am concerned about this article saying low carb is harmful for your bones and muscle loss and that you should eat lots of fruit and veg (I eat one orange per week and some berries and little veg.) It also claims the Inuit had low bone density which is the first I have heard.
I respect people’s opinions on here and would like to know what others think about this article as I always thought Dr. Cordain was an ok source of info.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #104

That is vegan propaganda, since muscles are made entirely of protein. Even bones contain a surprisingly large percentage of protein (can’t remember exactly, it’s around 38% if my memory is working). Since most people’s protein intake changes very little when they switch to low-carb, I don’t see the logic in that assertion. Prof. Benjamin Bikman, who studies the hormones that control human nutrition, says that the key to maintaining muscle mass and bone density is to eat enough protein. There is no known carbohydrate deficiency disease, and in the complete absence of carbohydrate in the diet, the liver is perfectly capable of making all the glucose the body needs. Which is about a tablespoonful circulating in the blood at any given moment.

(Marianne) #105

Hi Brenda, Can you share your keto aid recipe? Is it to get more electrolytes?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #106

Yes it is to add to electrolyte supplementation.
It helps a lot of people

The scale lies. Put it away. Measure and write it down or find some clothes that fit snug and use them as your guide.
If you can afford it, get some baseline bloodwork. The only macro you need to track is carbs.
EAT! This is not a calorie restriction “diet”. It’s the way we all should be eating.
If you need convincing, read The Big Fat Surprise. (Nina Teicholz) or Fat Chance. (Robert H. Lustig)
If reading isn’t your thing, watch The Magic Pill.