Advice for 2018 newbies with a lot to lose - keep it simple

simpleketo
omad
intermittentfasting
zerocarb
gluconeogenesis

(Kelly Holt) #80

Thanks for the feedback. I am trying to lose serious weight, target is 200. I’m using the Stupid Simple Keto app. I put in my stats and my weight goal and it gave me a suggested 1760 cals, but felt like I was not cutting portions enough with that, even if keeping the macros in line. I didn’t realize that about the salt. I will up that. What’s WOE and SAD?

Keto is not a calorie in calorie way of eating. You need to eat more. I know it sounds crazy and scary to change the way we have have been taught…but it works. Eat more food!

SAD standard American diet
WOE way of eating

Don’t starve yourself. It will only hinder your long term progress and goals :slight_smile:

(Ron) #82

(Kelly Holt) #83

You’re right. It’s very difficult to reconcile that I can lose weight without a caloric deficit. If my body is now burning fat for fuel, won’t an over abundance of fat still result in fat storage if I’m not burning everything I take in and then some?

(Teka) #84

Awesome advise ! I’m a newbie and it was soooo refreshing! Thanks

(Ron) #85

Sweeteners - your experience?
(Shirley) #86

Thank you so much for your post! I was keto from Jan 2017 through July 2017 during which I went from 288lbs to 258lbs. It’s now been a full year back in old eating habits (with a few attempts to restart keto and constantly failing to even make it through the first week of restart) and I have very gradually gained back 19 of the 30lbs I’d shed! I finally realized this month, as my 35th birthday approaches, that while I enjoy trying a new recipe from time to time the real reason I gave it up after 6 months was that I had over complicated it. I was feeling like I constantly had to make a new keto this or that type recipe and was having to find more and more ingredients I had never even heard of before! However, I’m determined to restart this time and stick with it until I achieve my goal weight but I know I need to keep it simple and have keto fit my life rather than trying to fit my life around it! Hence my username, which I chose as a constant reminder!
I’m planning my restart for the day after my birthday (the 31st) as the next few weeks hold a ton of events for our family and will be full of temptations for me. I know from previous experience that even though I want to start right now I won’t be able to resist so early into my restart when I’ll be faced with temptation on an almost daily basis and will just end up cheating daily and feeling like a failure.
However, I know if I start on the 31st I have 5 solid weeks of zero temptations before Canadian Thanksgiving which will have me solidly keto and fat adapted before then which will make it 100% possible to resist certain foods that I normally can’t say no to.
So, I think for the next few weeks I will focus on my daily water intake (since I always struggle with that) and be careful that while I’m still eating SAD foods to not overindulge at upcoming events and eat as low carb as possible each day.
I’m thrilled that I found Ketogenic Forums, it’s exactly what I need to surround myself with right now! :smiley:

(back and doublin' down) #87

Sounds like a great plan! You can definitely start limiting the carbs when not at special occasions. I was on Weight Watchers before starting keto, so had already cut out a lot of the sugar and processed foods. Made the transition much easier.

Can not share enough good thoughts about this forum. Great people and a variety of thoughts make it possible to find your ‘tribe’ so to speak, congregating on threads with others who support your goals, challenge misconceptions and allow for diversity.

Good Luck! KCKO!

(Kelly Holt) #88

Ok, so I think I’m getting it. I’ve been dropping while keto AND under a calorie deficit, so it’s kind of scary to think about eating more. So I will up the calorie target on my app from 1600 to 2000 (good enough?) and keep using it to make sure the macros are in balance, but in general follow the “eat the right stuff to satiety and make sure to get 2-3 cups of greens and veggies in per day”. Is that the right track?

(Ron) #89

Yes.
If you eat to your macro’s (at least until adapted) this will keep your metabolism ramped up and give the body the fuels it needs to heal damages and transition into a fat burning (for energy) machine. Later after you are fully adapted you can choose to cut caloric intake some or do the “feast and fast” method for weight loss. (I prefer the f&f myself) and be able to sustain your losses when you reach your target weight. It will take a little time so be patient and trust the process. Just remind yourself how long it took to put the excess weight on in the first place as this encourages many to be patient. You are doing great (learning the right path) so just keep pushing forward.

(Kelly Holt) #90

Btw, at my current settings, I’m finding I use up my fat macro a lot faster than my protein macro. Carbs are staying under 20g. How do I get the protein to keep up with the fat? (Based on a 70/25 target ratio)

Thanks for sharing. Some rather sage advice that will certainly help
me stick to a plan. Like the idea of fasting, and found my window for
eating closes around 6 p.m. That helps to keep pre-diabetes in check
along with under 20g of carbs. Thanks once again and congrats on
your positive steps and willingness to share. Got some great ideas
to work with now.

(Kelly Holt) #93

Actually, discovered that my ratio settings were off. Put them at 75/20/5 and balance seems to be restored with how I am eating. Upped the calories, so we’ll see how it goes with the lethargy and dizziness. Thanks for the advice. I appreciate the knowledge and experience of so many on this forum!

Hah! This must be what I am going through now. I am in my 7th week of keto and have noticed my BS increasing from 80s-90s to into the teens and sometimes above 120 this past week. I am NOT eating more carbs; I am keeping carbs under 20g daily. Was wondering what was happening.

Too much protein. It has a way of turning some of it to sugar if too much is consumed. Drop some protein and eat more fat.

Thanks, @dead-fred. My macros look OK, but perhaps if I eat a little less protein and more fat, then things will subside. I am reaching the point where, after breakfast I don’t feel like eating anything for a long while, and if I get caught up in an activity, I don’t feel like eating dinner either. I did go 24 hours last week w/o eating and felt fine; however, my BS during fasting was 110-115. I was surprised it wasn’t lower.

(Ron) #97

https://blog.virtahealth.com/how-much-protein-on-keto/

(Julia Brindle) #98

whats HIIT

HIT = High Intensity Training. Exercise you do for 30 sec to 90 sec,
raises pulse rate through more intensity. HIT session is followed by
60-90 sec of regular exercise. Example: Walking 90 sec, running
30-90 sec followed by a cool down period of 60-90 secs. The goal
is to eventually have your HIT session equal to you rest or cool down
session. In my routines I will do 8 HIT session with 20 minutes.
This takes in to account a 2-5 minute warm up period before going
into first HIT session. This period does not count your cool down and
stretch period after final HIT session. Hope that makes sense. Internet
can help you with various HIT sessions for stationary bike, running,
weight lifting, etc.

(Julia Brindle) #100

I have been sedentary in my work place for 3 years, I dont think I could sustain a 20 min HIT in that case. Maybe start walking first?