Advice for 2018 newbies with a lot to lose - keep it simple

simpleketo
omad
intermittentfasting
zerocarb
gluconeogenesis

(Linda M Au) #21

Hi! If you wanted a complete noob in this thread, you now have one. :smile: I’m really JUST getting into this, after seeing a friend at Thanksgiving who is a lot like me – and who’s lost 40 pounds so far (about 6-8 months) on a keto diet.

One way she’s not like me is that I am a type 2 diabetic. I was diagnosed 8 years ago and am not on insulin or anything. Just taking metformin now (a fairly recent development, because I was in a sort of carb rebellion for the past year or so).

ANYWAY… I want to get off the metformin completely and get back to all-self-management. But a diabetic can’t usually get away with long fasting periods without seeing those glucose numbers going wonky. We’re typically told to graze. We’re also not really supposed to exercise on an empty stomach or the numbers shoot up. Giving the body food to burn during exercise often keeps the BG numbers more stable.

I’ve got breakfast down to a science: scrambled eggs (in butter), and maybe a couple slices of bacon. Water. Sometimes coffee. That’s been my breakfast for the past eight years.

Diabetics typically handle carbs a little better as the day goes on. So, after early testing, I easily found out that I do not handle carbs at breakfast very well at all (from a BG perspective). So adopting this breakfast was fast and easy.

What do you recommend for a noob who is also diabetic? The fasting for such long periods doesn’t seem smart for a diabetic, and exercising before eating also seems unwise.

Thoughts?

(Whitney ) #22

LOVE this!! Thank you so much! :grinning::grin:

(Heather Miller) #23

Hi Linda! Awesome breakfast choice. You can fast eventual, as I and many like me on here have found. The issue is thst our blood sugars need to become more stable first. By lowering carbs ( I eat ketogenic now and keep carbs to under 20 grams per day total) sugars become much more stable. As this happens, the cravings for sugar and carbs disappear and we can then start to go longer periods between eating. I found it became natural to skip breakfast after a few weeks keto, then I gradually learned to just eat when I was hungry. I was constantly monitoring my sugars just in case. Now I can easily fast for extended periods and my levels are fine. This is of course more difficult if one is on blood sugar lowering medications which can cause lows. I still have some dawn phenomenon early morninghighs, but exercise barely moves the level any more.

So, start by eliminating sugar, then lower carb intake, and see where it takes you. Good luck and ask lots of questions.

I am a severe type 2 diabetic and have fasted for 6 days without a problem. It is a great way to stabilize blood sugar. I have found the opposite in that if I am going to have any carbs, they need to be earlier in the day. The later I have them the worse my readings are the next day. However, that’s just me. I’m currently doing zero carb and it is working great. This is keto, fat is your friend. Good luck!

(Linda M Au) #25

I am relieved to read so many of you who don’t micromanage your eating every day. That is the part of any diet that tends to throw me off. I dislike cooking and am grateful that hubby and I are now empty nesters. (Between us, we had six kids and those days were NOT fun for someone who hates cooking!) :slight_smile:

Anyway, I also don’t mind eating similar/the same foods often, so I don’t necessarily need a lot of variety, especially starting out. So, since I’ve done enough reading on low-carb stuff over the last eight years (even though I didn’t always obey), going even lower carb should be easy enough. I was pleasantly surprised, for instance, to find out early in 2010 after my diagnosis that having some potato chips was a BAD idea for blood sugar… unless I paired it with onion dip! The fat slowed the carb absorption. Lesson learned.

So, I have always been on board with fat-is-a-friend. I’d already switched to butter, having finally given up on those Smart Balance margarine tubs and other blechy choices. And I just found that our local Walmart actually carried Kerrygold butter so I picked some up. Sure, it’s pricier, but that’s okay.

I work from home, so I have a lot of flexibility in food choices and timing. I never used to eat breakfast before my diagnosis, so learning to get up and EAT a no-carb breakfast was the hard part. Once I realized I loved having scrambled eggs and bacon every day, I quickly adapted (and can make it all in about 3-4 minutes). And if I have 3 eggs and 3 strips of bacon (or 4), I find I don’t want lunch till late afternoon (like, after 4 p.m.). Sometimes I have to remind myself to eat. We have late dinners since hubby goes straight from work to a bunch of rental properties we own. Dinner is often between 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. I’m a night owl so that’s all right… but my issue is that I’m often up late enough that my brain thinks it wants to eat again.

The other night I got away from the Christmas snacks (which are FINALLY disappearing from the house!) and had some wedges of sharp cheddar and a large handful of olives as a late snack. Loved it… and no guilt.

Tomorrow I have jury duty (UGH), but once that is over I’m going grocery shopping for all sorts of no-carb snacks and foods. I already read labels for carbs so I just need to keep doing that… and apparently adding more meat. :slight_smile:

I’m blessed that, although hubby also needs to lose weight but has NO interest in a focused diet of ANY sort, I can feed him almost anything and he’ll eat it. He doesn’t really care for potatoes and prefers veggies anyway, so I am going to load up on meats and then supplement with no-carb veggie dishes instead of carby side dishes.

And the late-night snacks will, I hope, disappear completely. But in the meantime at least I’ll finally have in the house some carb-less snacks. (FWIW, I detest almost all nuts, which is sad because they are a diabetic’s friend when we need to carry snacks without refrigeration. But I HATE 'em. Blech.)

Great to be here…and great to hear that others here are diabetic and have eventually found that the fasting is not an issue. Heather, yes, one step at a time, I think. After these holidays, I’ll eliminate sugar and the really nasty carbs (that can be done in a day for me), and then move on from there.

I’m actually excited about grocery shopping tomorrow. :slight_smile: Well, except for the fact that they’re calling for 1-3 inches of snow … again. :snowflake: :snowman:

(Linda M Au) #26

One small addendum: I have no problem drinking enough water (probably 100 oz + a day) because I just love water and prefer it to almost anything else. I also get plenty of sleep – around 8 hours a night of solid sleep. I firmly believe those two habits (which I guard closely!) are responsible for the fact that, in the past decade, I’ve had exactly 2 colds and no other illnesses. (And the colds were only because I forgot to move to the guest room when hubby was really sick! GERMS right on my face!)

So I think I have a good head start in some areas where others might struggle. And the diabetes diagnosis eight years ago means I’ve done a lot of reading on low-carb thinking and at least have my head wrapped around that much of it so far.

My biggest motivation right now? I found out I’m going to be a first-time grandma in June! I need to lose weight and get healthy for that little one! :slight_smile: :baby_bottle: :baby:

(Tee) #27

Great to have sage advice and many perspectives from folks who have been doing Keto for awhile.

Before i joined this group, i did a lot of binge watching doctors and those who lost significant lbs…(a priority for me) and read lots of online articles. The science and experience of individuals convinced me to take the leap.

So many folks say don’t worry just limit your carbs. But i’m not a good judge of that without weighing or keeping track. Before joining this forum, i downloaded carb manager and i have been logging my foods… i love salad, vegetables… i’m so afraid if i don’t weigh and log i will go overboard on the leafy and green vegetables. Before moving to Keto (i’m on day 4) I ate 2 times a day (and a fruit/nut snack in the evening). but now i eat three times a day. Is this normal? ALSO, my keto stick says i’m in ketosis, but many say that those sticks are not reliable… I weighed myself in the AM, the scale said i lost 5 lbs, i reweighed thinking it was an error, same result. So my question is – is this normal and will it stay this way or go back up? If i just count carbs and eat meat until i’m satisfied, i think i will go over. because I don’t feel very satisfied staying inside my numbers as it is right now. Thanks… Skinnygirlcaptive

(Laura Lee Pritt) #28

Thanks for this! Really helped me wrap my head around approaching my inner struggles (quitting carbs-feel like a sugar junkie) and outer struggles (being told I’m crazy!).

Yes, thank you for your thoughts and schedule. I have been struggling with the chicken or the egg first…Keto or fasting. I like your IF schedule and will give it a couple of weeks to see how things go. Do you do that every day?

(John) #30

I’m self employed. I work at night doing work that is moderately physical but slow paced. Because of the large area I cover I often will work every day for two or three weeks straight. Then I will have a couple of weeks off, before I hit my next route. So my work day is typically working from about 11:00 P.M. to about 8:00 A.M. I’m usually back in my motel room no later than 9:00 A.M. I usually have some breakfast the motel supplies, usually cereal, and then would take some other food they have to have for supper (I’m a cheapskate). If I did intermittent fasting, should my window of eating be from the time I get up usually about 5:00 P.M. to about 9:00 P.M.? Of course I am aware this is keto, so no cereal or carbs, but I will buy my lo-carb foods to prepare at the motel.

Thanks,
John

(Guardian of the bacon) #31

If your not feeling satiated your not eating enough. Eat mare fat.

(Guardian of the bacon) #32

Your IF window can be whenever fits your schedule. I wouldn’t push to fast into IF until your body is fully fat adapted.

(Margie) #33

Wow. Thanks for that post. Best regards to you.

Great advice, thank you! :blush:

(Tee) #35

Thanks! Your advice Helped. I set my macro values at sedentary… I do walk a few miles everyday and maybe I wasn’t getting enough fat in. My challenge is still getting the fAt in and not going over on protein/carbs. Other than drinking a tablespoon of olive oil, any non-dairy suggestions to get in fat without going over carbs? I’m tracking total carbs because I’m a cancer survivor and wish to stay that way… and lose weight.

(Guardian of the bacon) #36

I know you said non dairy…I love butter on all the things. Some use ghee as a replacement. Coconut oil is good on veggies or by the spoonful if necessary.

(Lex (Sydney, NSW)) #37

Thank you and well done on your fat loss to date.

(Jay eidelberg) #38

my advice is
read all ingredients,
every meal counts but remember if you make a mistake everyday is a new day!!
dont use sweeteners if possible
go slow this is not a race its your life

(Tee) #39

Thanks! Down 10 pounds, 10th day on keto!!

(zubair) #40

hi, i just wanted to ask, do you still take your meds for type 2? i am also type 2 severe. and new to keto so quite bewildered.