A warning!

(George) #44

Yeah thats probably a good idea. I’m on hour 40 of a 72 hour fast right now, but not because I ate a lot of carbs, just trying out a new weekly fasting schedule. Have you had pretty good results from being borderline carnivore? I’ve been considering it. So far what I’m doing has been working pretty well. My only concern is I have a vacation in a few months and worried I won’t be able to stay keto for the week that I’m not making my own food lol

(Karim Wassef) #45

Just eat animals… easiest way to stay keto while traveling or on vacation.

(George) #46

I think most of the options are heavy are noodles and rice (Indonesia), but I’ll try to stay Keto as much as possible

(Karim Wassef) #47

There’s always meat and eggs. If they bring noodles, they should have meat on top.

I usually tell people that I can’t eat plants or plant products because it bothers my digestion… and ask for meat only.

(Khara) #48

Every now and then we make a meat and apple salad. We pan fry either some type of sliced kielbasa or thick cut bacon ends and pieces. Once that’s done we throw in a very small amount of chopped apple. Like very small amount. I usually do a slice like 1/8 thick across the whole apple and then cut that up into small bits. Two of us share this amount. Then, toss it with the pan fried meat to cook it ever so slightly. Put this mix on top of some nice greens. It’s really good then with Parmesan cheese and Caesar dressing and some chopped nuts. The apple is such a small amount, it doesn’t make my daily carbs too high and I get this little surprise every now and then with my bites. Small amount of sweet with the savory.

Since a single apple can last between two of us for a good week, I use a similar strategy if I want it cold. Super thin slice, about as thin as I can cut it, and then some nut butter on top.

I can still have fruit, just need to be mindful of how much and how often. I think this is more the amount of fruits that we were intended to consume as opposed to the huge quantities people now think is normal and healthy.

(mole person) #49

I’m up north in Ontario, Canada near Algonquin park. My husband and I do most of our hiking and canoe tripping in this area. However, for a few years we were spending our winters in the Southern US and I would like to get back to that sometime soon. North Carolina is gorgeous but I haven’t been there since I was a kid and summered there for a couple of years. Hopefully, I’ll get back there again before i get too old to really make the most of its beauty.

(Ketoviking) #50

This is brilliant! I will try this. Unfortunately I haven’t branched out or become too creative in the food area. Part of it is my ability to eat the same thing everyday over and over, part of it is due to the fact that I’m afraid to branch out beyond my control area in regards to what I know is safe to eat. However having a little apple mixed in from time to time seems like such a rewarding meal with low risk cost.

(Karim Wassef) #51

if you go fruit, then the berries at least provide some benefits along with the fructose.

If I’m going to sacrifice by ingesting carbs, I better get some major payback for that pain. It’s why I crave onions and limes… I know they’re not carb-good, but they just pay back in so many other ways that I will sometimes turn a blind eye and indulge.

Also … technically, avocado is a fruit too

(Ketoviking) #52

I miss caramelized onions, or raw onions for that matter in the realest way. As for avocado, I desperately want to capitalize on all of the great stuff packed into them but I cannot get past the taste or texture. I’ll give a look towards the berries. Thanks for the info.

(Karim Wassef) #53

actually, avocados can easily be used in shakes or recipes… they add a creamy texture without impacting flavor much.

I use whipped avocados with coconut cream to add fat and creaminess to a lot of cooking and shakes.

I am 3.5 months in and have experimented. I can do a cheat meal and feel fine the next day as long as I keep it reasonable. If I go overboard, I definitely feel it. My biggest concern going keto was giving up/cutting back on beer which was easy over the winter. My arch nemesis has always been Sam Adams summer ale. I drank beer twice over winter in moderation and didn’t like how I felt compared to drinking keto friendly alcohol. Sam summer came out so I had to do a test run. How good would it taste now and how would I feel? It tasted good but not as good as I remember. I had two of them (13 grams carb each) and they made me tired and felt crappy the next morning. I can honestly say due to this I’m 99% done with beer and don’t even miss it. I think on most diets you always miss the junk and you want it. On keto I don’t miss it or want it anymore making this WOE extremely simple to me.

(Carolyn aka stokies) #55

I bike 30 miles fasted and never bonk… but I have been fat adapted for nearly a year now…

(Tamela Robinette) #56

I have found this to be true for me as well and it causes me extreme bloating and I always considered myself a beer lover. I had to ram my head into that brick wall more than once, I’ve tried beer three or four times and finally realized it makes me feel like a** and takes me several days to recover from. I love to drink beer while working in my yard and garden and at the beach and just pretty much all summer long, however I have learned the hard way it is just not for me. I have learned to love a good dry red wine and am learning what I like in the hard liquors (not much lol.) I can walk away from any carby garbage food wise but beer was the hardest thing to give up but I know now I can never have it again.

I hear ya on summer beer! Red wine is delicious when it’s cold. They have a bunch of spiked seltzer’s now with 1-2 carbs which are good as it warms up. My favorite thus far is the Smirnoff water melon with 1 gram carb. Replaced a hell or high watermelon wheat which was always a summer favorite of mine

(Katie) #58

That and also using your muscles (weight training) uses up the glycogen faster as well. But there is no rush, in the grand scheme of things, if this WOE is going to be a long-term way for you.

Man, I can start those binges, but I can’t stop 'em…:disappointed:

Agreed, if I can’t resist some extra carbs now, I go for more of a paleo-keto hybrid day or meal. Amazing how much of a treat a baked potato/sweet potato or some fresh fruit can be!

Cheers! I’m currently on hour 66 of a 72 hour fast.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #62

@JRS08 I have spent quite a bit of time in Indonesia, I was married to a Javanese woman in the 80’s. You’re right, noodle and rice heavy. But I can suggest some stuff.

Sate Sapi or Kambing (avoid the sauce) Beef or Goat

Sate Ayam …BBQ Chicken skewers

Soto Ayam- Chicken Soup (hold the nasi)

Ayam Goreng - Fried Chicken

Vegetable entrees - I like Kan Kung (water spinach)

Telur Goreng - Fried eggs

Sumatran Food might be okay, they bring about 20 little dishes to the table like Dim Sum. Generally very hot! I don’t remember much sweet flavors if any. Not sure.

Lots of fresh seafood available in coastal areas.

Ikan Pangang might be okay, Roasted Fish in Banana leaf

Ikan Asin Goreng - If you can eat this it might just be the most keto thing in Indonesia, you can smell people cooking this stuff all the time. Kind of stinks! It’s dry salted fish that they fry in coconut oil. Kind of like fish potato chips. Very salty, eaten with rice usually. Strong odor and very salty.

They have a beef meatball noodle soup that’s very popular called Bakso, probably has starch of some kind as a binder even if you skip the noodles, corn starch or taro root I think.

It will be helpful to make a list of stuff you want to avoid although you can expect some stuff to sneak through your efforts. They use palm sugar in quite a bit of things including their common soy sauce, kecap manis which seems to find its way into many dishes, in varying quality. It’s pretty carb heavy and syrupy.

Words to watch out for,
Nasi - rice
Gula - sugar
Manis - sweet
Bakmi, kwai tiau, Mie Goreng, - noodles
Sago - tapioca
Gandum- wheat
Roti - bread
Susu - Milk. Cream is unavailable they use a full fat sweetened milk powder everywhere, usually Nestlé from Switzerland or Holland I think so avoid dairy. They also use margarine everywhere instead of butter. I think it’s hydrogenated palm oil.

One good thing is coconut oil is king in Indonesia so you don’t have to worry about veg/seed oils much. Not much pork in most of Indonesia. GOOD LUCK, I would probably abandon keto if I were to go there again because Indonesian food is like my favorite cuisine. I lost weight from the constant heat and being active a lot but I was 26 then. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Justin ) #63

Same with me Tux, I love my beer. I have had maybe 12 beer in two months and that includes going to Vegas. I have moved to vodka soda and I still have my wine. I have lost 20 lbs in two months with zero exercise. I don’t really miss beer as well and how it made my gut feel! I will do an adjustment to my carb intake when I get to my target feeling and find my balance for my body.