A warning!

(Karim Wassef) #21

The term hangover is a good one.

After running clean, the carbage reaction is a combination of panic to sequester and critical controls to contain the oxidative spike. It’s basically going into damage control much like an alcohol hangover.

I did it once with a pizza party a couple of months into keto. That event killed pizza for me. Even keto pizza is distasteful now…

It also made me acutely aware that this is how SAD is ruining the lives of so many people who are numb to the damage.

Having said that, there are techniques to introduce high carbs in a controlled manner as part of a weightlifting timed event. It’s like using a dangerous drug under controlled circumstances to achieve a specific short term goal. I have yet to build up the nerve to try it myself…

(Scott) #22

Ruck that!
My poor knees can run but I don’t think they are up for Rucking. Its funny I started walking because my knees hurt so bad from running. I started playing a GPS game (Ingress) and ended up running from point to point in short bursts. I kept extending the distance and checked my phone one morning and it said I had run 9 miles. I came home after a run one friday and saw a half marathon scheduled for the next morning and thought “I can do that”. It was my first race ever. I saw a customer there and he asked what am I doing there? I said “I saw in the paper yesterday and thought I would give it a shot”. He said “you are going to get killed” I posted a time of 1:54

(Ketoviking) #23

Interestingly I had chronic knee pain from years of long distance fat guy running. I’ve always been active but still a big guy ( I gave up on being a speedo model early on). I finally stopped running because the pain was just too much and picked up walking. I have always hiked so it clicked one day just walk with your weighted pack which will keep you in shape for hiking season, so I was rucking just not calling it rucking. After about a month of rucking my knee pain went away. Rucking is actually a restorative approach to running. Give it a shot you may surprise yourself.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #24

As far as I am concerned, “carb cycling” is just an excuse for feeding my carb addiction. For me, it’s not a cheat, it’s a relapse. :cry:

(Ketoviking) #25

I’m inclined to heavily agree with you. If I weren’t still a noob I would likely fully agree with you. For me this morning I can see no benefit to cheat or come of KETO for even 1 meal as I did. I wasn’t looking to cheat last night, I had no cravings, my buddy just suggested something and knowing he was a long time keto veteran I trusted him. I don’t look forward to doing this much in the future. That being said I don’t completely understand it’s benefits so I’m not ruling it out.

(Karim Wassef) #26

Don’t trust the bad man bringing gifts of bread!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #28

I have never eaten carbs with the idea that it would affect me in a positive way since I went keto. But I have had several experiences with deciding to eat some carbs while in a restaurant with a friend because the keto options were abysmal or in one case I was traveling and decided I had to try traditional Cuban food for one meal. That particular time was the worst, my gut trying to deal with rice, black beans, bread and a huge steak at the same time. Horrible cramps and discomfort all night. But on the times I was more moderate about indulging some, I didn’t have the same intensity of a reaction. I think also that all carbs aren’t created equal. White sugar and flour are not the same as some potato, yam or whole grains which digest slower over time in my experience. If you decide to indulge don’t let yourself abandon all keto protocol for the meal. There’s a big difference between 75 carbs and 200, just like alcohol if you drink till you’re falling down drunk you can expect to feel bad and hungover the next day. That being said I avoid those kind of binges at all costs including just not eating much and making up for it later when I can eat properly. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #29

@Kaitlynne You little pig! :pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::doughnut::doughnut::doughnut::doughnut::doughnut::doughnut::doughnut::doughnut::doughnut::doughnut::doughnut::doughnut::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::nauseated_face:.

:cowboy_hat_face:

(Marianne) #30

I don’t know anything about carb cycling and have only been on keto (clean) for two months, however, I would stick to what you know - which seems like a lot given your progress and how you felt before the carb cycling. You have already experienced the benefits of keto, so I would say you don’t need anyone giving you advice that is contrary to what you have been doing successfully and painlessly for 3.5 months. Trust yourself. For “quick energy,” I’d pack some pepperoni pieces, gouda, salted hard boiled eggs, bacon slices, etc. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” Good luck and have fun!

(Karim Wassef) #31

I used to eat my steak with a big side of brussel sprouts (love those sprouts in butter)… but I always got stomach issues.

I gave up the sprouts and eat 1.5x more steak with all the fat and it feels awesome. The carbs just mess everything up for me.

Pizza party? I’m picking off the pepperoni and cheese and throwing that bread and crust in the trash. I hate throwing away food but it’s not real food.

(Marianne) #32

I was never really a fruit eater, but that is what I crave now more than anything - pineapple, watermelon, cantaloupe and apple. Oh well. Feel too good for it to be that big of a deal.

(Marianne) #34

Isn’t that amazing!? Before when I was on a “diet,” I would hang on by my fingernails to try and not eat sweets or carbs. It was usually just a matter of time before I did and felt horrible about it.

(Marianne) #35

Sounds like the student has become the teacher.

(Jeramy Koval) #36

I’ve had success with tossing in a weekly cheat meal once a week. Again, that is 1 single meal during the week. Not a cheat day or cheat window. Usually it’s a Saturday dinner with the family. 2 or 3 slices of quality pizza with a 12oz craft beer.

Usually the day of my cheat I hit the gym for a good workout. Then again the morning after. For me, it helps get the carbs out of the system and eliminates any hangover effect.

(Ketoviking) #37

So I was never a big fruit eater either but a cold granny smith apple was about like snickers bar for me. I loved them. Cold watermelon and a cold granny smith are really my only hold overs from my life before. That and cheesecake but thankfully KETO cheesecake is one of the easiest to make.

(Ketoviking) #38

It really is a surreal feeling to consider that I ever thought extremely low carb, no sugar eating would be a “home” for me in my eating and health journey. I abused my body for many years and I feel it beginning to shake the rust off of some of the damage I had done. I’m feeling more and more like a new creature each day, with the exception of today of course.

(Ketoviking) #39

That’s impressive. About the sleeping I slept to my alarm this morning usually I’m up an hour before it goes off. It was like being born again you know the deep sleep where you wake up in your own bed and wonder where you are.

(George) #41

Yeah man its pretty crazy how those carbs can hit you. I haven’t really cheated at all since I started and I’ve been keeping my carbs to around 12 grams/day, and last week my wife insisted I try some Vietnamese iced coffee from a local shop, so I did, and a few hours later I felt like I was dying, my vision started getting blurred, etc. Luckily it only lasted for about 30 minutes or so. Turns out that coffee is made with a can of condensed milk, with a whopping 166 grams of carbs, not including any added sugars. Lesson learned LOL

(Ketoviking) #42

We’ll be in Pisgah National Forest in NC. Mainly on the Art Loeb trail and a few parts of Cat Gap and Butter Gap. I’ve hiked a good bit in Tenn and NC these are in close proximity to where I live. Where do you like to hike?

(Ketoviking) #43

I get it! I’ve hovered for the last month around 0-5 grams per day. Borderline carnivore with some salads or broccoli mixed in with as much non-processed single ingredient I could manage/afford. So add in all the sugars, processed compounds and overall carb dump and it’s a disaster. I slammed half a gallon of water since I originally posted and I’m feeling much better. Still not hungry which is surprising so I think I’m going to carry this on out to a 24-36 hour fast.