A warning!

(Ketoviking) #1

So I went out last night for a guys night with some long time friends. One is actually a “mentor” for me in the KETO process. He’s lost over 70lbs and has the health benefits to show for it after 2 years of KETO (some cycling in and out of the WOE.) The the place we were eating was the first time since doing KETO (3months) that I could find nothing on the menu worth eating. My buddy asked had I done a carb cycle yet and I obviously I hadn’t. I’ve been strictly KETO since day 1 and have lost 38lbs in the interim. He explained to me having one big cheat meal is kinda like throwing gasoline on the already lit keto fire. So chicken and waffles, some spicy syrup and 8 hours of carb drunken slumber and this morning I literally feel like I’ve been hit by a truck. I’m super cranky, lethargic and hungover feeling. I just want to click my heels and go back to how I felt yesterday at 6pm. So a word for you newbies (like myself) if a handsome gentlemen stops you on a street corner and tries to sell you carb cycling don’t buy it. I’m not downing carb cycling if done properly just saying that reintroducing carbs even 1 time for me was a shock to the system.

(Mario) #2

cheap carb cycling - or lets say: your first one is always some experience.

but, in a professional hand its much better. and you will use it for sure much more often :grimacing:

(mole person) #3

I get this hungover feeling when I cheat and have a Mars bar for a couple of nights. I also gain about five pounds in temporary water weight over the next couple of days. It’s possible the two are connected. The day after the carb-up we may be very dehydrated because our body had to suck up all available fluids to fill our glycogen tank.

(Ketoviking) #4

So I was just saying this about the dehydration to one of my fellow ketoins here at work. My body is screaming for water right now. I don’t want food or coffee even I just want water and lots of it. Would it be ok to just do a 18-24 hour fast from this point? I’m partially concerned about getting back into ketosis which I’m not too worried about but I really just want to get back to the mountain top high that had become normal on keto. If anything a cheat meal serves to teach us why we KETO in the first place.

(mole person) #5

Yes, a lot of people fast after a carb up. It gets you through that glycogen and back into ketosis faster.

(Jay Patten) #6

I get a wicked hangover from carbs… so bad that cheat days are off the table for me.

The first couple of cheats were fine, but the longer I stayed in ketosis the worse the hangovers would get. To the point where I now fear carbs, lol.

(Ketoviking) #7

Also another quick question. I’m going on a 4 day hike in just a few days. I had planned to maintain KETO with no fasting. I’ve been training for the hike on KETO and my energy has been pretty amazing. I’ve done some reading here and some ppl have suggested keeping some carb heavy bars in the pack to use as quick energy. We’ll be doing about 5 to 8 miles each day with some significant elevation change mixed in on a couple of those. I’ve always hiked as a carb burner and this will be my first one on KETO. I can knock out 5 miles with a pack on my back no problem, I’m more concerned about day 2 3 and 4 and how my body will respond with or without carbs. If I take some carbs along usually in the form of a granola bar or nut dense trailmix will I feel this sluggish feeling during a hike or will my body probably burn that up first? Also will the mess with my keto/fat adaption?

(Murphy Kismet) #8

Might it be the type of carbs consumed?

Currently I am considering having a carby day but only because my daughter brought home a gorgeous watermelon yesterday.

(Jody) #9

I had this experience last christmas with the candy, the dehydration and cramps were hell!

(Ketoviking) #10

I have been craving a watermelon. Here in South Carolina we’re starting to hit some 85 degree days and a nice refrigerated watermelon sounds like heaven!

(Jennibc) #11

Chicken and waffles did that to me BEFORE I started this way of eating! But it certainly is pronounced when one has actually been feeling really good because of the change in the dietary habits.

We do a carb meal about once every three to four months (either pizza or pasta) and we keep it to a reasonable amount like two slices of pizza or I’ll share a big plate of pasta with my husband. I end up feeling a bit blah the next day but I am not sick nor do I have a ‘hangover’ - I think it’s because we don’t go bonkers on the portions and we don’t add sugar to it. I can’t imagine how I’d feel if I went and had chicken and waffles. Reading your story makes me miss them less.

(Ketoviking) #12

This was my first 1 since I started and I was anxious about cracking that door again due to potential cravings for sugar. I haven’t had sugar cravings since about week 3 on KETO and for me a sugar fiend I welcomed that removed desire. However so far just this morning after I just want to get back to my KETO WOE. Kinda like the last few days of a vacation after you’ve had all the fun and you’re out of energy and money and you just want to get back home.

(mole person) #13

It will depend on how long you’ve been fat adapted. If it’s long enough you don’t need carbs at all. Last summer I was hiking all day fully fasted with no thoughts of food at all.

(Ketoviking) #14

I may take a few bars or nuts along for the middle of the day during the more intense parts of the hike but I doubt I’ll need them. I’m big guy and have loads of stored energy. During my training I’ve felt really good with energy leftover afterwards.

(mole person) #15

I love good multi-day backcountry tripping, can I ask where you are going?

(Scott) #16

You may want to have some as back up but if you are truly fat adapted I would go more for the macadamia nuts and almonds. The other problem is how to get enough fat. The thing that comes to mind is jerky. I have no idea what freeze dried foods are keto friendly other than eggs. Assuming you are fully fat adapted I think this would be a great opportunity to insert some fasting and/or get some kick ass fat burning in. I noticed you are in South Carolina (I am Upstate) You heading to the mountains?

(Ketoviking) #17

Yep we’re gonna hit Pisgah Forest, Cat Gap, Butter Gap and parts of Art Loeb. I feel like I’m mostly fat adapted, I have done multiple 24 hour fasts and regularly 19:5 fasts during the week. I have done lower short hikes 5-6 miles with moderate elevation change on a fasted state and felt fine other than water loss. I think I may try some fasting hike and see how I do the first day and go from there. I just haven’t done an extended hike with all the homeostasis that being outside for multiple days throws at your body.

(Robert C) #18

OR

So a word for you newbies, if a (now) better looking person looks back at you in a mirror and tries to sell you carb cycling - don’t buy it.

(Scott) #19

Sounds like fun! Especially Butter Gap!
It took me about three months to get my running legs back so that is when I assumed I was fat adapted.

(Ketoviking) #20

Rule number 1 fat ppl don’t run, we ruck. That being said I’ve noticed sustained and increased energy as I’ve added distance and weight. I did have 1 strange day that just zapped me but I had consumed coffee right before and I was not nearly as hydrated as I should have been so the combination had me feeling a lil clamy after a 6 mile hill ruck.