A Guide to Making Excellent Chili

chili

(Dustin Ewers) #1

If you want to impress your friends, coworkers, and neighbors with incredible chili, here’s how.

This isn’t a recipe. This is a guide. It’s a map to figuring out how to make your own excellent chili. Chili (like most soups) is not an exact science. You need to play with flavors and figure out what works for you. It’s more fun that way and you’ll end up with something that’s specific to you.

The Chili Template

The basic chili template consists of three things:

1. Meat
  2. Chili peppers and supporting spices
  3. Tomatoes

Each of these things contributes something to the whole, like a culinary Voltron. By modifying this template, you can make a lot of interesting types of chili.

Meat

Most people use ground beef in their chili. Ground beef is acceptable, but you can do better. My default chili meat is cubed chuck roast. Chunks of beef provide a more interesting texture while also being tastier. Chuck roast is almost as cheap as ground beef, so there’s not a huge price difference either. For bonus points I like to pre-fry my chuck roast cubes so they get a nice sear before putting them in my chili. It’s more work, but the char adds a nice dimension of flavor.

You can also get creative with your meat choice. Nearly any kind of meat will work in chili. You can use ground pork (or cubed pork loin), chicken, turkey, or even wild game. I prefer to use beef, but there’s lots of room to get creative here.

Spices

Skip the lame pre-canned chili spice packets at the store. They are generally spiked with corn starch and other carbs. You can do better. The basic spices for chili are: garlic powder, onion powder, and cumin. You’ll also want at least one kind of chili, but they get their own section.

If you decide to use something other than beef with your chili, you can adjust your spice combination to match. For example, if you’re doing a pork chili, try using apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice. Both of those work well with pork and after you add some ancho chilis, you have something interesting and tasty.

Chili Peppers

Chili peppers are a fun place to get creative in your chili cooking. Most decent chilis feature a combination of different peppers. Feel free to mix powdered chili, fresh/canned chilies, and dried chilies. I usually use a mix of Rotel (canned chilies) and various chili powders. If I have an abundance of time, I like to make my own custom chili powder by lightly toasting dried peppers and grinding them up in a blender. What mix you use should be based on the level of spiciness you are comfortable with.

The chilis I like to use are:
Ancho - Sweet, mild, and flavorful. I always add a generous amount to my chili. The powdered form and the dried form are both great.
Jalapeno - Spicy, but also quite tasty. They usually make their way into my chili via Rotel.
Chipotle - Smokey and a little spicy. I generally like to include a little bit in my chili. The canned and dried forms are both good.
Cayenne - Spicy and hot. I like to add a little to my chili to punch up the heat factor.

Tomatoes

Tomatoes provide a lot of flavor for your chili, but don’t go too crazy. Tomatoes have a decent number of carbs. In general, avoid tomato sauces and pastes. I’ll throw a little bit of tomato paste in, but keep it to a minimum. I prefer to use a combination of Rotel (tomatoes plus chilies, generic works too) and fire roasted diced tomatoes. Rotel can be quite spicy, so don’t put more than a can in your chili.

Tricks and Tips

Taste early and often. You don’t always nail the flavor on the first try. Keep tasting and adapting. If you aren’t sure what to do, put a little bit of chili into a test bowl and try something. If it works, scale it up to the whole pot of chili.

Don’t be afraid of the salt shaker. Tomatoes tend to require a lot of salt to balance them out. Salt towards the end though. You can always add more, but you can’t take any away.

Bump up the umami of your chili by adding a little soy sauce and fish sauce. It’s weird, but it works.

Go forth and conquer

Find some meat, find some tomatoes, raid your spice cabinet, and make some excellent chili.

Won the Chili Cookoff with Low Carb Chili
What did you Keto today?
(Carol E. ) #2

My chili trick - add canned pumpkin. It makes the chili nice and thick. Sounds weird, tastes great. :sunglasses:

I can confirm that the umami trick is a game changer! Yum!

(mary6aros) #4

Thank you for the inspiration. My chili game has been lacking since removing the beans. I just can’t seem to get it right! There’s hope!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #5

I find tomatoes to be unnecessary. Which makes low carb counts much easier.

This is closer to how I’m rolling nowadays:

(Chris) #6

Great idea!

(Mike Williams) #7

I love making chili. For my meats, I like to “mix and match” instead of just the basic ground beef. I like to use ground hot sausage mixed with ground lamb or bison is my favorite.

(Tara) #8

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try the chuck roast next time. I typically do a ground beef and Italian sausage mixture in my chili.
I also make my own spice blend for chili and I use a couple cans of Rotel, they do make mild Rotel for those that can’t handle the heat.
I agree with adding fresh peppers, I usually add Jalapenos and a bell pepper.
My secret ingredient is spicy V8 instead of tomato sauce or paste. I haven’t checked the carbs on V8 compared to plain tomato sauce. But for me, chili is not something I eat all the time so I feel like I can splurge on the V8 because I know its really good.

(Dustin Ewers) #9

Loving the sausage suggestions. I’ll have to try that. I bet some spicy Andouille sausage would be fun.

(Vladaar Malane) #10

I was thinking of trying chili, with zucchini cut up like beans. I think zucchini takes the taste of things very well, and love baked zucchini lasagna, whereas things like cauliflower I don’t really enjoy as well.

(Tania M) #11

I have never made the same chili twice. I have often used little scraps of left over tomato sauce (home made) that are in the freezer. Sometime’s some of my aunt’s chili sauce. I love the experiment and now that I’m keto I am planning for a beanless chili for the first time ever. I never thought of adding soy sauce (molasses used to be my secret ingredient).

(Bob M) #12

If you want chunkier chuck roast, cook the chili in the oven at 200-250 or thereabouts, in a pot with the lid cracked. This prevents the chuck from getting too hot and drying out.

This is from this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Food-Lab-Cooking-Through-Science/dp/0393081087

(Bob M) #13

For umami, I usually add soy sauce, anchovies, and marmite.

Marmite:

https://www.amazon.com/Marmite-Yeast-Extract-4-4-Ounce/dp/B00886IHUI

Again, a trick from the book I posted above.

(David Cooke) #14

Here’s me being grouchy. WHY do some recipes mention powdered garlic and powdered onions? Is it because you don’t like the taste? If so, why eat it?

(Running from stupidity) #15

Because people don’t always have real garlic or onions around. Also, because lots of people who do recipes are kinda weird.

But it can’t be to avoid the taste, that’s literally the only point of the powders.

It’s handy for making dry rubs, taco seasoning etc… & you can store any leftovers for another day.

A wonderful savory umami for chili is 2-3 tablespoons thinly sliced and diced fresh Ginger. I’d add it along with a tomato or two after sauteeing a minced half of a white onion until golden. So much AROMA - and when people taste the savory-sweet umami of that Ginger (once it cooks in, its flavor transform and sweeten), they adore it.

After I had my first epiphany with a friends chili that contained fresh Ginger I never went back to non-savory chili!