3 months in and lost no weight...Help!

(Laura Wilson) #1

I am a female with 40+ lbs to lose. I started this diet a few months ago. I was hopeful after my fiance lost 30 lbs in 3 months. I don’t eat beef or pork, so chicken and seafood are my only meat options. I have really been sticking to under 30 carbs a day, and have been following the carb nite book, which allows us to cheat 1 day a week. I quit the diet last week bc I got so frustrated, but am willing to give it another shot. I need advice!! I’m getting married in 2 months and really would like to lose some weight. Should I start exercising? Should I be watching my calories? Thanks for any advice!

Stalled weight loss on keto...tips?
(Jessica) #2

Honestly, I think you should just keep calm and keto on!
No cheating though, that was probably what was holding you back.

Last podcast was great, have you already listened to it?

(Cathy) #3

Hi there. I understand how frustrated you much feel. Because you are asking for advice…

1. I would suggest that you drop the carb night. It is likely keeping you from fully adapting to keto.

2. Many people have to restrict carbs to 20g total (no netting out for fibre).

3. Restrict all snacks to none and try a little intermittent fasting. This is to limit insulin which can and does block fat burning.

4. Be sure your are eating appropriate amounts of protein. Too much is converted to glucose.

Hope this is of some help…

I’ve read on another board that the ‘carb nite’ plan doesn’t work for a lot of people, so that could be the problem.

Personally, I can easily maintain my weight eating almost zero carb (I’m very carb sensitive), but in order to lose, I have to watch my calories. You don’t mention your height, but many small women (like me) require much less food than they’d imagine.

(Dustin Cade) #5

yeah, my lady has been strictly keto for 7 months +, she is beginning to think that keto is not right for her, she is still trucking, though she is slowly gaining her weight back… she lost 25lbs, though that has slowly started to creep back in- I’m going to try and have her check out the newest podcast episode as i think that will hit home for her- i hope

(Laura Wilson) #6

Wow thanks for the quick replies guys! I will cut out carb nite and stay under 20 carbs. Will see if that works. I have not listened to any of the podcasts but I will definitely start! I am glad I stumbled upon this forum today! I know another thing I’m not doing is drinking enough water. I drink about 2 liters a day, but I guess I should be drinking more like a gallon a day

(Jo Lo) #7

No netting. Your pancreas doesn’t care about fiber.
Just drink to thirst, no need to wash out all your electrolytes.

(Laura Wilson) #8

So don’t subtract fiber from total carbs?

I respect Keifer and his deep dives into science and I tried both his Carb Nite Solution (CNS) and Carb Backloading (CBL) for about 9 months before giving up. I believe that it can and does work for some people, but I know that I’m not one of them, so I think your choice of cutting it out for now is a good idea.

This is an individual thing, but if you’re having problems losing, it’s best to fall back to total carbs and leave exploring net carbs until you’re comfortable with your progress.

(eat more) #10

sorry this post is going to be a lot of questions :slight_smile:

are you losing inches?
clothes fitting differently?
does your body “feel” different to you?
noticed any non scale changes? (mood, energy, improved sleep etc)
are you tracking your intake/macros?
are you getting enough fat?
are you getting enough food period? (i don’t agree that you may need less caloric intake…especially without knowing your stats/intake)

it’s “different” for women (even with other ways of eating for weight loss…soo annoying! LOL).
even without the hormonal differences I think generally we need a lot more healing of our systems than men.
For me the CNS or any “carb load” is like starting over every week…mentally and hormonally.

i suspect that since you are only eating chicken and seafood (as protein sources not your only food :wink: ) you may not be getting enough fat.

exercise is good for you :slight_smile: hormonally, mentally, and physically but it alone will not cause weight loss…

it’s possible that even after 3 months you aren’t fat adapted and maybe only in ketosis for short periods of time if at all because of the carb nites…
it’s beneficial to confuse the body but even a 6 on 1 off can be recognized as a pattern and have hormones bouncing back and forth

carbs 20g
protein .8-1g per pound of lean mass
fat “the rest”

(Laura Wilson) #11

You’re so smart! :smile: I noticed maybe a slight change in how my clothes fit, but just briefly. Nothing else has changed, and now my clothes are tight again. I guess I’ll try giving up the carb nite for awhile and see where that gets me. I need to start eating more veggies, I just know they’re full of carbs. So what do you eat?? Lol. I know once I start losing weight I will be more motivated and feel better. I was using myfitpal to do my macros. I was doing carbs 5%, protein 25%, fat 70%. I’m 176 lbs, 5’ 4.5’’

(Michelle) #12

Welcome! Glad you found us!! All the great advice that everyone has given you already - I second that!!

Just also know that ketogenic diet is not just about weight loss. Men do tend to lose weight quicker and front loaded, but women tend to lose it slower. It’s all about controlling that insulin. If you are spiking your blood glucose for any reason, then you are releasing insulin, and that’s causing you to store fat and shut off fat-burning process.

I would say - cut out veggies for a little while. :astonished:!! Throw out old thinking and start with clean slate. Eat eggs and avocados or olives for a full day. Or add some cheese too if you do dairy. But don’t worry about getting fiber or veggies for now, for a short period, until you know your body has fully switched fuel sources to burning fat instead of glucose.

What is carb nite? never heard of it (I’ve only done this for 3.5 months).

(eat more) #13

you prob don’t need to eat more veggies but if you like them…eat them within your carb limit :slight_smile:

you can do it…
for me it’s the easiest no-brainer way to eat. i just pick a protein, decide if i want a veggie (or not) and then think “ok what yummy fat can i add to this?”
chicken and avocado is really good together
fish baked in butter with coconut oil sauteed asparagus
egg salad or deviled eggs…sometimes with celery or cucumber, sometimes not.

the other night i was dog tired from work and had leftover ribs and made some coleslaw with lots of mayo :smiley:

do you eat cheese? no pork at all? not even bacon? :scream:

if you have the premium MFP switch your macros to grams…it’s a bit more reliable to see where you are at

(eat more) #14

it’s a CKD (cyclical keto diet) protocol where you get a “cheat day” where you carb load…i don’t know if it’s true for CNS but most carb load protocols want you to switch from LCHF to HCLF for that day, however…i think most ppl ignore the LF part…for me…what good are potatoes without fat? :joy:

(Dustin Cade) #15

yeah, my lady has been strictly keto for 7 months +, she is beginning to think that keto is not right for her, she is still trucking, though she is slowly gaining her weight back… she lost 25lbs, though that has slowly started to creep back in- I’m going to try and have her check out the newest podcast episode as i think that will hit home for her- i hope

(Jessica) #16

Inbetween all the valuable advice I want to throw in one thing: Don’t overcomplicate things.

I have the best results (inches, not scale) if I stick to simple foods, meats, eggs, leafy greens, good oil. And I have to remind myself of that too from time to time (like… now)

(eat more) #17

completely serious question…if not keto, then what?

i know i personally feel like i have tried everything under the sun…including not trying at all.
i haven’t had any earth shattering scale or size changes but keto just seems to fit my life the best so i keto on

(Dustin Cade) #18

yeah, i have no answers, I’m always learning more keto stuff… she struggles because she is not seeing results and some of the results she was seeing have reversed a bit… so i end up sounding like a broken record…

(eat more) #19

can we get her here for some non-husband/man support? :slight_smile:

(Dustin Cade) #20

she is on the Forum, she just doesn’t use it, she likes her Facebook groups. @chandra-lah is here name on here.