Stalled weight loss on keto...tips?

(Miranda) #1

I’m starting to think I’m not doing keto correctly. I’ve been doing keto for 8 weeks, counting calories for 5 weeks. Initially lost 6 lbs and an inch overall, but now I’m at a stand still. I’m super bummed it’s not going anywhere.

The only thing constant in my daily life is I drink coffee with heavy whipping cream every day (150 cal total). As a nurse, I’ve needed it to even function. During the weekdays, I have a diet coke with lunch. I wonder if cutting the caffeine and/or HWC would be the trick.

Any other suggestions? I’d appreciate any feedback!!

HEIGHT: 5’4”
DAILY CALS: 1300
GOALS: FAT 73%, CARB 9%, PROTEIN 18%
SW: 159
CW: 153
GW: 135

(LeeAnn Brooks) #2

Get ready to hear “stop counting calories.”

But sense you’re counting, I’m going to point out that you’re clearly set to a deficit. You don’t want to do that while adapting. I think you need to add about 300-400 calories to your day. More if your exercising regularly.

Are you hungry a lot?

(Miranda) #3

Interesting! I don’t exercise and I don’t really feel hungry a lot. I actually lost most of the 6 lbs before I tracked calories, now that I look back at it. I started to track it to make sure I wasn’t overdoing it and because I don’t exercise (I keep planning to start…)

Would you still recommend upping the calorie intake with my sedentary lifestyle?

(Ron) #4

Miranda,
You are eating at a caloric deficit and have probably slowed down your metabolism. Without knowing your specs, an average 40yr old woman 5’ tall and 160lbs who is sedentary should consume 1500cals to maintain body requirements.
Up your calorie consumption until you are fat adapted when you can then do some adjusting if you choose. Suggested avenue here is usually continue to maintain high calorie consumption and IF occasionally as this keeps the metabolism up. Here is a discussion that might shed some light on the issue.

(Miranda) #5

Thanks for your input, Ron. Makes sense! That post you shared is actually the reason I found this forum. :grinning:

(Troy Anthony) #6

Yes, I don’t agree with the typical don’t count calories advice, in the sense that it is a useful data point. I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary, but for people who like tracking it’s useful. For instance, you wouldn’t even know you are only eating 1300 calories and in a deficit if you weren’t tracking. That data lead to instant useful advice. My advice would be to up your calories to maintenance. Eating in a large deficit will definitely slow metabolism and cause the body to store energy, a protective process for your body to not become malnourished. You want to ramp that metabolism up and become an energy burning machine. Exercise helps, so even trying like 20 min of something that feels like hard work can really help ramp up the metabolism, but the biggest thing is getting your calories to maintenance. Another thing that will help is eating the majority of calories in a few meals, instead of eating 5 or 6 times a day. If that’s hard, dr berg recommends slowly cutting meals, maybe one a week. So if you eat 5 times, go to 4, 3, then maybe try 2. This comes easy to some but take your time if need be. I’d say keep counting calories but do it to be sure you are getting enough.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #7

Yes. It can be scary at first, especially coming from a low fat diet approach which is centered around calories in vs calories out, but to give you some perspective, I am 5’2” 132.7 pounds. My average daily consumption is 1600. Now I’m moderately active running 4 times a week. But the 1600 is an average. I like to keep my metabolism guessing, so I try to do one low and one high day per week. My low is 1200-1300 and my high is around 2000. The rest of the days I’m typically around 1600. And I’m losing weight.
That said, I will tell you that I can and have lost weight a lot faster and more consistently on low fat, calorie restrictive diets eating 1200-1400 calorie maximums per day. But I’ve gained that back each and every time and then some. That’s why I’m here. I will happily trade a slower (and at times more erratic) weight loss for a permanent WOE I can maintain.
What I would suggest is to kick up the calories some, enjoy eating fat :bacon::cheese::egg::fried_egg: and be patient. Some months you may take off 10-15 pounds. Some you may only lose 5. Others you may lose nothing while your body is changing.
Take body measurements, because the scale doesn’t always tell you the whole story. Watch the way your cloths fit. Body recomposition will begin to take place if you stick with it.

And while you don’t need to exercise to lose weight on Keto, it’s a good idea to get some light to moderate exercise. Even a simple 30 min brisk walk 3-4 times a week is so good for your heart. I honestly don’t know why anyone doing Keto for health benefits wouldn’t put in at least this level of exercise for its health benefits (unless there was an extenuating medical reason that is).
Besides, you’ll want to start showing off that new body you’re going to be rocking.

(Miranda) #8

Wow, thanks for this!! I’ll try not to get too focused on the calories. I have pretty much learned what can get me to 1300 calories a day so I can be mindful about adding extra cals.

(Miranda) #9

Amen, sister!! This is the only way of eating I’ve stuck with this long. Usually, I give up by the 4 week mark because it’s not realistic for our lifestyle and … was high in carbs! Because you know, if it’s whole wheat, it’s gotta be healthier…except when you eat it for every meal and rely on it. I surprisingly have not felt that low blood sugar nausea since I started this!!

I’ll do some tweaking and see how that goes. Making chicken bacon ranch casserole right now and will eat 2 servings instead :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: