3 months in and lost no weight...Help!

(eat more) #21

well hopefully she will come play with us someday :blush:

Lots of great advice already. As you have a goal date not too far away, I would take the opportunity to really drill down between now and then. Drop the carbs to <20 total and make sure you keep the fat up to stay satiated. My suspicion is that your carb night has been sabotaging you and stopping you really making the switch into keto proper. Ditch it and just see. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Look at what you have done so far as the lead in. Now you are going to do this thing for real and then some. You GO and you will feel GREAT. It doesnā€™t matter so much about weight and all that malarky. You want to feel amazing for your wedding right? THis is the best way to do it. Get yourself the keto buzz ready for your wedding night. x

(Evan) #23

I will agree with those that say your carb nite book maybe the problem.

With keto it can take up to 6 weeks to become fat adapted. This is the point in time where your body goes from relying on glucose(sugar) for energy to using fat (the kind you eat and the kind you store). One thing with what you are doing now is that your sending your body mixed signals. Your eating keto for 6 days and just when body starts to say ok we are going to use the fat now you are throwing carbs back in. Then the body says well hey she gave us more glucose so letā€™s just use that. Your basically in a holding pattern with your body because it not sure what to use.

My suggestion is skip the carb days for a least a month. The biggest key to is get fat adapted as quick as possible. So you can let your body know you want to use the fat as energy. Also having no carb days allows you to keep your insulin levels low which is probably one of the most important aspects of eating keto and in lossing weight.

If you havenā€™t learned weight gain is not a cause itā€™s a symptom the true cause is insulin resistance. When insulin levels are high your body goes into fat storing mode. When you decrease those levels to low as possible then you start to lose the weight.

Another thing to be mindful of is the protein. Too much can cause an insulin response just like sugars and starches so keep the protein to your daily minimum which sounds like you know those levels already.

Last thing read your food labels and pay attention to those carb in foods. Too many food have hidden card and can wreeck havoc on your day and keto.

Oh and last thing you got this we are here for you and this community is strong. We will all be here to help you.

(Keto in Katy) #24

Cheating is sabotage.

(Laura Wilson) #25

Thanks so much for the advice guys!! I will take all of your suggestions and use them :slight_smile:

I think Kiefer (carb night) is great and he has a lot of really interesting ideas plus a sh*t load of really interesting science research behind his plan. He is absolutely worth listening tooā€¦
ā€¦Howeverā€¦I really believe his ideas work better for people who are intense exercisers. AND I donā€™t believe his 10 day ā€œlow carb inductionā€ ā€œphaseā€ which he prescribes before your first carb night is enough. I just donā€™t think this is enough time to properly fat/keto adapt before you challenge your body with carbs.
I did actually use this program a couple of years ago when I was heavy lifting in the gym 3 times a week. And yes, the plan, and the lifting, got me results. However, continuing to use the plan after I stopped lifting resulted in weight gain for me.
I do intend to try carb night again when if/when I take up lifting againā€¦but until then I will stick to keto.
@Wilsoll09 I would stick to straight keto for your immediate goals of weight loss. If you do try carb night again, I would do at least a couple of months of keto before trying it again AND if you do, only with intense exercise.

(Karen Fricke) #27

Limit the artificial sweetener. If I eat too much, Iā€™ll stall, probably because it triggers insulin

(Laura Wilson) #28

I appreciate all of the advice! Today was my first day back on the diet and I did great! 17 carbs for the day and hit all of my macros. Thank you for all of the support!! I am so glad I found this community

(David) #29

Well done.

Did you feel satisfied? Or hungry and like you were missing out?

(Laura Wilson) #30

I was satisfied! Which is totally unlike me, I am a binger. I paid attention to my macros and saw I was going to get enough fat so I added some olive oil to my salad and some butter to my dinner. It was great!

(Kristian Woods) #31

I wrote a complete guide to keto that has helped a lot of people if you would like to read it! I can send you the free PDF. https://themindandbodydialogue.com/2017/09/11/lets-get-fat-burning-party-started/

(Lisa Stevens) #32

Very interesting but everyone is different, especially women. Fasting and feasting would never work for me because of the metabolic damage I have from dieting. Not to mention men are always more successful. I would love to know the percentages on their success rates. Iā€™ve been doing keto for almost 3 months, feel better and Iā€™m a little smaller by how my jeans fit but no weight loss. Iā€™m trying to lose 20 to 30 lbs, postmenopausal.

Itā€™s really helped me to understand that this is about body recomposition, not weight on a scale. This is why we talk a lot about ā€œnon-scale victoriesā€ the rejuvenation, mental stamina, and changes in measurements and body tone that are huge signs of change.

For example - a lean 160 pound body looks completely different than a 30% BMI 160 pound body. The LCHF/keto way of life restores atrophied muscle and takes fat cells through transformation processes before they collapse and dissolve.

In 7 months I have not weighed myself, but I have measured - and am dropping inches and half inches! Am down two dress sizes and even my leggings are loose and foldyā€¦ Do I ā€œfeelā€ lighter? Nope. I feel stronger, and my face is radiant as if Iā€™m lifting weights every day (only do strength training once a week!).

This little video by Nurse Cindy is just a few minutes long but an incredible teaching tool about the wonders of fat cells and how they change with a ketogenic way of life helped encourage me a lot, and I hope it helps you :smiley:

And this is her FB page: https://www.facebook.com/asknursecindy/

(Lisa Stevens) #34

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I think my body is just fighting to stay at itā€™s current set point. Iā€™ve been taking pictures but letā€™s just say thatā€™s not working out so no more pics. LOL. What Iā€™ve recently become aware of is an elevated heart rate, blood pressure going up and down along with night sweats. There is a keto doc in my area so Iā€™m even considering going for a consult. Iā€™m taking all the recommended supplements but my body is going crazy. Iā€™m going to add a new one for the BP called K2. If itā€™s as good as research shows it to be we would all benefit though on keto it is more available through food. Hereā€™s a video on K2: https://youtu.be/fYMExQNosTQ

(Pui Fun Yong) #35

Hi, I just started on Keto 22 days ago. Lost about 5 pounds. I bought a Ketonix which arrived yesterday. Did my first reading today and it measured 12.81 ppm. Into the green zone. Is that any good or I need to Keto more before I see some serious weight loss?

Well - itā€™s just science, and biology to me - the body is a lot more that just the outside! For example, weā€™re composed mostly of bacteria - and our microbiome has itā€™s own brain, basically. So, rejuvenation happens from the inside out. :smiley:

Most of what goes on with body recomposition is unseen on the surface - metabolic & gut healing processes which involve all systems of the body as well as brain rebuilding! Taking the body off of sugar is quite a dramatic thing in our favor in terms of cellular health and turning around pre-diabetes and pre-cancer.

Weā€™ve been taught to mistrust or devalue bodily processes and expect instant results - and the mind can be tricky to manage when we fight time, thatā€™s for sure. For me, I had to suspend time and only measure myself every other month - and the changes Iā€™ve experienced at age 51 have been profound (such as return of regular cycles which had recently been quarterly, due to onset of the climacteric), even though I wasnā€™t metabolically deranged or morbidly obese.

Some of the symptoms you describe sound hormonal, and post-menopausal women do have their own responses to the estrogen release via fat burning - some even having periods return for a few months. Or, the symptoms could be tied to simply to mineral imbalances that can have lots of effects when one is releasing estrogen or toxins via fat burningā€¦

With ketogenic body rebuilding, beyond the first couple weeks of water loss, the results are definitely more subtle on a monthly basis but they really add up as the seasons and years go by. As you prob already know, whatever hormonal imbalances and toxic load you presently have play a part - and females generally have more hormonal rebalancing to process and slower progress than males - because as our fat is released from fat cells, so is stored estrogen released. This is why some females may benefit from taking things that help absorb and move out toxins - things like clay, charcoal, and even small amounts of resistant starch, along with Soil Based Organisms (SBOs) which are the only kind of probiotic that donā€™t dissolve via the stomach and actually make it into the large intestine where they assist in many processes to reduce inflammation and strengthen the immune system and metabolsim.

If oneā€™s stress level is relatively low, adding weekly strength bearing or intense slow weight lifting (slow burn or super slow styles) may really boost and synchronize the metabolic processes and help with hormone rebalancing. The book Body By Science by Doug McGuff MD helped me a lot, along with Slow Burn Fitness Revolution by NYC personal trainer Fred Hahn & Mary Dan Eades - all of these authors are LCHF/keto advocates.

You might be also benefited by the work of Virta Health (Dr. Phinney is their Chief Medical Officer) - they provide a digital coaching platform for LCHF/keto, lab recommends & translations, and medical case management. It can be very useful to have a keto-friendly medical overview, and to see what if any bio-identical hormone supplementation may help - or what if any foods or herbs to take or avoid. Insurance doesnā€™t cover it - and itā€™s about $100/week for those who have credit lines, etc.

(Lisa Stevens) #37

My heart rate is doing better now with continued potassium supplements but the blood pressure still goes up while fasting. I have to go back for BP check so I just wonā€™t fast before that vist but Iā€™m going to share what my results are at home. Iā€™m quite sure itā€™s just part of the journey now that Iā€™m almost 56. There are local keto docs so I might consider seeing one if I get so frustrated that Iā€™m just shooting myself in the foot by stressing out.

(Christoph) #38

First thing. Take your scale and throw it in the trash. A scale is like a self inflicted torture device for women and sometimes men. The only time I step on a scale is if I am fighting someone. And, I always make weight.

Two, you need more fat. Starving yourself is torture.

Three, I suggest steak and pork. Because you need fat.

Ultimately you are going to start adding fat if all you are eating is fat and protein. This happens usually after you get leaned out.

Four, do NOT count fiber. Fiber is not a carb. It looks like a carb. People say it is a carb. It is NOT a carb. It is actually a short chain fatty acid. However, it has to get down to your colon to get to the bacteria to be digested. Otherwise, it doesnā€™t get digested.

So, I have similar questionsā€¦
Should I be measuring total carbs or net carbs? Whats the consensus?

(Cathy) #40

I am of the opinion that total carbs is the best way to go and the reasoning is that it is impossible to know what gets absorbed and not. Everyone is different.

Dr. Micheal Eades is the person who came up with the idea of net carbs and in recent times, he has commented that he wished he never had. This because it is an inaccurate and can lead people off track.