2018 Lenten Fasting

fasting
lent

Hahaha! Boooooot!

Yeah, it sounds like you’re hitting that 48 hour wall. Caffeine does help.

Are you fasting from caffeine AS WELL AS from food? Wow!!! #We’reNotWorthy

Absolutely a lot of caffeine! :slight_smile: With a splash of HWC. I am trying to cut down on HWC.

I still don’t like the salting bit - I use wheat free soy sauce and also have some pink salt at hand.

Edit: the coffee perked me up!

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #183

I made it 24 hours! We made a big sale today and the account exec offered me waygu beef at $140 for 6 oz. I said that wasn’t enough so he bought me 2!

If you have never had wagyu beef it is fork tender although a steak knife cuts through it as a warm butter knife - so good. Waygu beef is a heavenly meal and you should experience it at least once in your life, you will never forget the experience.

Back to fasting in the morning and may stretch it to Saturday evening to make up for this celebration feast.

Nice bargaining! AR

(KCKO, KCFO) #185

I am so jealous. There is a steak house near us that used to make burgers from waygu and ribeye mixture. Not any more :cry:. They do still offer the steaks, I am planning on going there for my next birthday to get one of those big boys. Not something one can eat often but they are heavenly things.

(Damon Chance) #186

I’m about 85 hours into a fast this week. Its been basically water and coffee, although I have had probably 2tbsp of Coconut oil. I have been craving a salad but I blame all the signage all over my office (work for a very large convenience store chain and we have kitchens in each store and signs all over corporate). Still planning on breaking the fast tomorrow and keeping as keto as I can while eating vegan through the weekend before I start over.

Well, I’m 70 some hours in and I’ll break at dinner tonight –Wild Alaskan salmon (seared probably) with asparagus and king mushrooms --. Maybe next week I can do 4 days. It was going well until I went grocery shopping and things got ‘out of hand’ in the brain! Fasting is so psychological and I’m determined to get better at this. I think fasting will be key to maintenance once I get there.

(Pascal Menezes) #188

Update: Last week I started fast beginning Ash Wednesday - 72+10 hours. Feasted only on Saturday Feb 17th morning. This week started fast beginning Monday 120 + 10 hours. Will begin feasting tomorrow morning Saturday, 24th Feb. This will be the longest fast, for me, so far.

The experience has been good. I lost about 4 Lb. However my goal is to normalize my Blood Pressure. I pray it does.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #189

My week with business travel turned into 2 24-hour fasts and a 36-hour fast. I feel strong and healthy and I even dropped an extra 1.2 pounds! Feasting for the next few days and will go for the 3-day fast again starting Wednesday, February 28.

(Jo) #190

So far 3 for 3 on planned Lenten fasting and feeling great!!

(Victoria Mc Coy) #191

Sad that I’m only 2 for 3. Major fail this week. Some rookie mistakes + travel from Midwest to Pacific NW and back in 4 days + HIGH stress at work = no Friday Lenten Fast for me. Bummed.

Aw, hang in there! It’s never too late to get back on.

I went off it last week as well (stress plus family emergencies, plural), but this week I’m back to it. We can do this!

Awwww, no worries, keep going!

Started fasting last night (sunday) after having made a vegan Thai meal for guests. May have had some carb creep and feeling not entirely convinced this morning of doing this fast. Will see how the day moves along and decide.

I am exploring what is the sweet spot between challenging myself and ensuring I am doing something I can do after I reach maintenance. No white knuckling or it will not work!

(Simon L Smith) #195

(Replying to my first update to keep all my stuff together.)

Although I am fasting for the 40 days of Lent, that does not include Sundays, when I will eat.

Therefore my “fasting for Lent” is really five 6 day fasts (and eating on Sundays) bookended by two 4 day fasts.

• One 4 day fast (Ash Wed-Sat)
  • Five 6 day fasts (Mon-Sat)
  • One 4 day fast (Mon-Thur)

Also, for context, I am doing a “Water” only fast that includes:

• Black coffee in the AM.
  • My homemade zero calorie/zero carb Ketorade (Kroger brand vitamin water enhancer + 1 teaspoon Lite Salt)
  • Water.

In addition to the sodium and potassium in the Ketorade, I am also taking a daily multivitamin, magnesium, and calcium.

1st 4 Day Fast

• Starting Weight on Ash Wednesday = 203.2.
  • I weighed in the Sunday morning at 198.8 for a loss of 4.4 pounds so far.
  • According to Vora I fasted for 104 hours.
  • According to MFP I ate 2651 calories and 28 Net Carbs.
  • I rarely had hunger pains or tummy growls. Overall it was fairly easy.
  • I officially started my next Lent fast today, but technically started last night between 9 and 10
  • PM.

1st 6 Day Fast

• I weighed in on Saturday morning at 192.8 for a weekly loss of 6.0 pounds and a total loss of 10.4 pounds.
  • According to Vora, I fasted for 153.5 hours.
  • According to MFP, I ate 2139 calories (500 or so less than last Sunday) and 25 Net Carbs.
  • I weighed in on Saturday, instead of Sunday (before breaking my fast) because I went camping and hiking with my 17-year-old Boy Scout.
  • I hiked 7+ miles, fasted, and only broke my fast Sunday morning, as planned.
  • I did double down on the electrolytes.
  • Per the camping food picture I bought more than I ate. For lunch I only had the salmon and avocado and didn’t touch the tuna. I also didn’t really eat the meat sticks. I only had two of the meat sticks as I just wasn’t feeling them. I also bought one extra bag of the salt and vinegar pork rinds (for a snack for Sunday night after my camping) that I ended up not snacking on.
  • According to MFP I burned over 2000 calories, fasted, on my 7.22 mile hike. NOTE: The time is an estimate just to get an idea of what . I did do this hike on the 6th day of this week’s fast.

(Linda RatzThompson) #196

I just started a 33 day fast to Easter. Thanks for the inspiration.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #197

Simon, Thanks for the update and congratulations on keeping on track with your plan!

KCFO (Keep Calm and Fast On)

(Jeff Davis) #198

Switching things up a bit this week. I feasted a bit too much–gorged, really, and some of it non-Keto–over the weekend, so I felt like I needed a fast earlier in the week. I started after dinner last night (Sunday) and will plan to go through Wednesday lunch, eat Wednesday dinner, then hop back on the fast for Thursday and Friday. Fasting is flexible!

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #199

Great plan! Yes, fasting makes no-meat Fridays really easy!!!

(Linda RatzThompson) #200

Day 2 of 33 day fast. Did great 1st day. Got in some good walking. Had trouble going to sleep, but finally did. Got all my water in and other goals. I am staying with this. Feel much better today. Ridding more excess water.