2018 Lenten Fasting

fasting
lent

Stopped the fasting clock this morning at 85 hours and made a chocolate mug muffin. I woke up yesterday ravenously hungry and was hungry all day. Miserable! Woke up this morning with the same hunger. So will eat today and possibly tomorrow as well. I also hopped on the scale and have gained nearly 4 lbs while fasting, so I’m obviously retaining water too. :::le sigh:::

Noice!!!

My mind and attitude are having trouble dealing with some personal things right now as well. So I’m finding myself doing this with a resentful heart, not a grateful one. Better that I take today and possibly tomorrow to remind myself of blessings and bounty, I think. When my attitude is better adjusted, I’ll resume fasting. Anyway, not going to disappear from the thread or anything. I’m just going to be MUCH quieter today and maybe a few days.

Blessings, good thoughts, and good vibes to everyone.

KCKO. :slight_smile:

Hi Michelle from the KKBs! Glad you are joining us!

(Christina Heinrich) #163

I made it 84 hours!!! Never thought I could do that. Down 8lbs, presuming that’s mostly water loss… Not getting hopes high. Breaking far with a HWC cappuccino made with my new Ninja Coffee Bar. I’ll then make some scrambled eggs. I’ll try to stay mostly carnivore during my noon-fasted days

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #164

Broke my fast yesterday and had 3 meals; breakfast was 3 eggs cooked in 1 Tbsp of butter and 5 strips of bacon, lunch was 3 huge beef ribs and a half of a smoked chicken breast (ribs are one of the reasons I didn’t want to fast all the way through Lent), and a bacon cheeseburger, no bun or veggies of course, with an egg on top. A very filling yet satisfying day. I did gain 0.8 lb (0.36 kg) but my BG and ketones look very normal! I did lose 5.4 lbs (2.45 kg) from Tuesday morning to Saturday morning!

Like my fast a month ago my morning ketones are continuing to go up even though I did eat right before the test - forgot to measure as I got up a bit early for me!

I am eating carnivore (zero carb) on my feasting days and am feeling great.

I am enjoying all of the updates so keep them coming! I will begin another fast on Tuesday evening and fast February 21-23 as well. This fast will be different as I will be traveling for business, leaving Tuesday and returning Friday.

KCFO!

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #165

Post from my diocese’s website fits well with this Lenten exercise.

I started early and broke my fast at 116 hours! I think planning this lent fast is a great plan. Wanted to say thanks! My blood sugar (56-92) and ketones (2-5) have been the best it’s even been especially my sugars. I think the more i do the healiter i will become. Thanks again

Just checking in. Ate a bit yesterday. Will eat today as well.

No details, as I think that’s a special kind of cruel to make people who AREN’T eating (and are maybe struggling) read all about what other people ARE eating.

Still struggling with my mindset/heart with the personal issue that is happening. This may take some time.

KCFO, my fasting friends!

Checking in with everyone. How are y’all doing?

Ate yesterday, pooped yesterday. (Just like all the cool kids! Heh.) Had a good conversation with an old friend of mine about the personal situation, and she wants to help out, so that eases my mind a little bit.

Eating today and tomorrow, and then, good Lord willin’ , creek don’t rise, etc., will return to fasting on Wednesday.

Hope everyone is having an awesome day!

I did a three-day last week, it was great. Doing warrior fast (20/4) today.

Quick check-in. Wrapping up several days of eating and now getting ready for a fast, starting after dinner tonight.

I haven’t decided whether it will be 3 nights/2 days or 4 nights/3 days. Time will tell. Feeling Ok. A lot of work on my plate and also I am in charge of big dinner on Saturday. I am going to be attempting a vegan keto type. We’ll see how that goes!I’ll load up on some other things before. :slight_smile:

(Keto Travels) #171

So not sticking to my OMAW plan so far … my uncle died Wednesday night ( after a long full life with relatively little suffering at the end and after consciously announcing that he was done struggling with his current illness,so it doesn’t get much better, but still…) I found fasting and processing my grief too much while also having a full on job. So I ate one or two keto meals a day and only got back to fasting today. Happy to say that it has been a smooth transition with my body clearly signaling last night it had had enough food now could we stop eating for a while please :slight_smile:
Will see how it goes this week and how well I can ride the fine line between disipline and punishment.

(Damon Chance) #172

Spent the weekend eating my fill of cheese/dairy/eggs and started the 5 day fast last night. I will fast through Friday evening. The weekend will be vegan leaning and possibly have some slow-carb (lentils or hummus) items if I can’t feel satisified on other things. I’ll be stocking up on avacados, nuts, and salad for the weekend to help though.

(Simon L Smith) #173

I am not tracking ketones, but here is my first Lent Fast update:

I am fasting every day of Lent, which does not include Sundays. So my first fast was Ash Wednesday - Saturday. Going forward I will fast Monday - Saturday.

I am doing a “water only” fast that includes black coffee in the morning, 3-4 liters of my homemade Ketorade (1 tsp Kroger brand Mio + 1 tsp Lite Salt), and plain water.

In addition to that sodium and potassium, I am also taking a daily multivitamin, magnesium pills, and calcium pills.

I’ve done a “40 days in a row” fast 10 or so years ago and a number of other Lent fasts. Ilike fasting and tend to find it easy. When I am in fasting mode I do great. As my wife says, I can fast and I can feast, it’s the in-between moderation that gets me!

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #174

@SaintDepraved Simon, glad to hear you can fast so easily! I too can easily fast as well as feast with no chance at moderation in between. My wife says I am a man of extremes only!

Keep up the good work and thanks for the update.

UPDATE for me: Ate yesterday and am eating today. Resuming fasting tomorrow.

I’m so happy to see everyone posting updates! It looks like everyone is really doing well! I guess I’ll see y’all again sometime in the morning.

Have a great day, yall!

Quick update - about 40 hours in. Easiest fast yet! I’m feeling happy, slightly high (even though I don’t feel good about 1 work project that has been hovering!), food obsessions to a minimum, no cravings really. Did a mild workout which went well.

I don’t know what to tell you - I think I’m developing this fasting muscle. Not sure when to break, I’m going with my body and mind and see what happens.

How is everyone else?

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #177

I’m about 16 hours into this week’s fast and feeling very good! I am traveling on a business trip and not looking forward to the business dinners where I will just have sparkling water and black coffee.

Yesterday I had a chorizo omelet for breakfast, a 16 oz ribeye for lunch and a 14 oz bone-in sirloin for dinner. very satisfying! My ketones were 1.9 mmol/l this morning with a glucose of 89 mg/dl!

Will work hard at staying on the fast!

Resuming fasting today. So far I’ve had tea.

@avocadosrule. I feel the same way, that I’m building up the fasting muscle. I’m an experienced faster, but it feels good to take this 7 weeks and focus on doing fasting “workouts” that should keep me in good fasting form for a few months. It’s kinda like an intense boot camp thing, isn’t it? Fasting Boot Camp, heh. I guess since it’s Lent, it should be “God’s Fasting Boot Camp.” :slight_smile:

(Jeff Davis) #179

Fasting today, about 13 hours in. Just black coffee and some salty water. I wanted to push through till Saturday, but I have a business lunch tomorrow so I may break then and jump back on the fasting wagon on Friday. I can get two 36-42 hour fasts in this week, centered around Wednesday and Friday, the traditional penitential days.

Booooot Camp!! Slowing down right now - feel I have had plenty of salt. Maybe my body needs caffeine!