You can't expect your body to let go of fat that it still needs

(Ryan Ashton) #41

Haha. I’m not saying the body can’t do things without your conscious effort. Lol. :wink:

That’s called the autonomic nervous system.

But OP said you’re body is “healing” and “protecting” you. The body can’t do that. It’s not a separate sentient being. The body does what the body does and is wonderful at it.

Please, in future, take the original context into account.

To be fair - the below is a quote from you copied from here I think I’m out, y’all

“No, not weird. I think that’s your body talking to you - telling you that you don’t need what’s in meat. Possibly. Or just some unusual aversion from a body out of whack.”

Let’s not get too absolutist either - absolutism is very fragile, whereas nuance and complexity is much more antifragile.

I grant that there are different genres of scientists - however, a large systematic survey study of medical students done in the 90s reported that over 80% of them are in it for financial gain as the number one goal.

The science of the 20th century was Cartesian to the hilt. Dualism, biophobia, misogyny, and egomania aren’t the only way of doing science.

The question is, how much iatrogenia will be eradicated in the 21st century? How much empathy and respect will be restored? What I love about LCHF/keto is that there is quite the grassroots revolution happening in folks doing their n=1s and thinking for themselves.

Science generally is assumed to be western industrial materialism - however, there’s eastern and indigenous science as well - if one considers empiricism, skepticism, and intuition scientific methods. Very advanced civilizations with advanced math, healing modalities, navigation, and architectural feats existed in the west and east long before western materialist science - witness Chichen Itza (just one example of many amazing ones).

Nowadays I think it’s heavily weighted on the BOUGHT science, along with the neomaniacal. For more on that, see the work of Nassim Nicholas Taleb - a global thought leader and independent scholar:

“Your grandmother’s advice - though it be may be mistaken every once in a while and it’s not that “scientific” is definitely more robust that the scientific results we’re getting today - particularly in psychology and social sciences.” August, 2018 at the 9th Intl Conference on Complex Systems

BTW, Taleb goes into metabolism, hormesis, post-traumatic growth, low carb and more in his recent book Antifragile: Things That Gain From Disorder, heavily cited by Romanian independent keto researcher Cristi Vald.

(TJ Borden) #45

Agree 100%. Unfortunately MOST of what is passed off as science, especially when it comes to nutrition, doesn’t follow the scientific method.

Generally the hypothesis is established and observations are cherry picked to support that hypothesis, then conclusions are presented without any actual tests.

(TJ Borden) #46

It seems like you’re disagreeing for the sake of being contrary, only to follow it up with the same point @Sarah_Bruhn was making.

If you cut your hand, then (baring any medical conditions that interrupt the process) your body will stop the bleeding, protect the wound, and eventually there will be little to no sign the wound ever happened.

By your argument that doesn’t count as healing, but just the body doing what it does… which is healing.

(Ryan Ashton) #47

You completely lost me. Could you explain what all this means? I’m clearly not as bright as you, so you’re going to have to dumb it down a bit.

I have heard the term “mansplaining” and as I understand it, it’s your way of telling me that anyone reading this can basically disregard whatever I said as valueless.

You also used “aggrieved entitlement”, which I had to google and it seems to have a lot of links with “angry white men” and “masculinity”.

It seems to me that you have discounted everything I’ve said because I’m a man and specifically an “angry white man”.

Why do you do that? Why do you have to try and make this about who I am as opposed to only about what I said?

I don’t have a problem with you disagreeing with me, but it’s completely unnecessary to bring the fact that I’m a man and that I’m white into it. That immediately makes me feel like an outsider. Was that your intention: to make me feel like I don’t belong here? If so, you did a bang-up job.

I’m entitled to disagree with what this person wrote regardless of who she is and I don’t feel that it’s fair that I now have to try and defend myself against personal attack, even if only implied.

Other people disagreed, at least somewhat with @Sarah_Bruhn, including @grinch734 and @Regina, so why do you have to bring my sex and colour into it?

You’re clearly a very bright and articulate person (far more so than me - lol). It’s unfortunate that you have to resort to bringing up the sex and race of the person making a statement that you don’t like as opposed to just sticking to what was said.

Now, let me try and focus on the subject at hand:

I don’t agree with what @Sarah_Bruhn was saying for the following reasons:

How could you ever force your body to do anything? It’s a ridiculous premise.

How are you going to find out why your body needs the fat? Again, it doesn’t make sense. Are you going to ask your body, “Why are you holding onto this extra fat?” And then what? Is your body going to reply? How?

How can your body “betray” you? It also can’t protect and heal you. It can protect and heal itself through natural processes such as the action of the liver, etc. But this doesn’t require “positive thinking” or something. Give your body the right nutrients, sleep properly, decrease stress, etc and - barring problems in genetics or disease, etc - your body will do what it is designed to do.

Nobody’s body “holds onto fat”. Of course there can be psychological reasons for not losing weight. Someone might eat more because the extra weight makes them feel protected or more commonly because eating feels good.

The only thing that I want is for the public at large to experience the benefits of the ketogenic diet. I honestly believe that this way of eating can fix so many problems with the world. But if we, as the ketogenic community, are to have a positive impact, it will be because we show the science. I feel this write-up does the opposite: it makes it seem - at least to me - that @Sarah_Bruhn is implying that somehow the body is a separate entity and has a mind of it’s own and does it’s own thing. That idea, in my opinion, is ludicrous and I am standing by that.

I have nothing against her personally and I’m sure she is a very nice person but I don’t agree with the way this write-up comes across.

(TJ Borden) #48

Giving another example of what @SlowBurnMary was referring to as a response to her calling you out on it. I’m not sure if you were trying to be clever, or if you’re just an asshole.

It seems your issue is really with the idea of referring to the body as a separate entity from ones self. While that might be a legitimate philosophical discussion, it doesn’t negate the points @Sarah_Bruhn was making.

I think it’s understandable to refer to the body as a separate entity when we are differentiating between conscious (in general, what we control) and the sub-conscious (in genral, what we can’t control).

Back to the title, “you can’t expect your body to let go of fat that it still needs”, in that statement an assumption is taken as true, that the body is holding on to the fat because it is still needed, which is a big assumption. I am not saying the assumption is wrong, I am saying that you don’t know that it is right.
Maybe the reason why at some point in keto the body holds on to the fat is that keto is not the holy grail of weight loss we made it to be, that is, it may work for some and not for others, and maybe there is even a very simple explanation of why that is so, and it will come up eventually. For now, the only thing we can say is that we don’t know why the stalls happen and we don’t know that they are necessary.
We actually don’t even know that keto is good for the body in the long term, because that has not been proved either. Some serious researchers like Longo for example think it is not, because the system is flooded with glucose due to uninterrupted glycogenesis. Go figure, last thing I would have thought. Is he right? I have no idea! Is that the reason of the stalls? No idea either! Is that important to find out? I think so. You don’t wanna spend years climbing a ladder that’s put on the wrong wall. We want to verify the premises. If a diabetic found in the analysis that things were not going in the right direction, he would stop and ponder. If someone obese or overweight were to stop losing weight for a sufficiently long period of time, that is a good reason to stop and ponder as well, imo.

(TJ Borden) #50

We absolutely know that it’s true. If you had no fat stores at all, or the ability to convert energy to stored fat, the only energy you would have available would be the glucose in your blood. When that was used up, you’d die. Essentially, type 1 diabetes.

Absolutely true. However, a million years of evolution would suggest the percentage it doesn’t work for is very small. Of course you’re also assuming that the point of Keto is to loose weight. In fact, weight loss is merely a side affect of Keto repairing a system that has been abused for years, or decades for many of us.

That’s not to say that many on this forum, myself included, didn’t start down the Keto path with weight loss as a goal, because I certainly did, but weight loss has taken the backseat to my having reversed type 2 diabetes and finding a better quality of life.

As soon as someone can support that opinion with evidence, instead of “thoughts”, I’m happy to listen, but I haven’t heard of any evidence so far.

I’ve always struggled to figure out why people assume a stall in weight loss is bad, or means they’re doing something wrong. Weight loss is not linear. That’s not to say after an extended stall, it doesn’t hurt to mix things up, but to blame the mechanism that has clearly alreadt done something for you, because it can only be a stall if you had movement to begin with, seems ridiculous.

That is what the SAD was. I don’t know what will eventually kill me by following a ketogenic lifestyle. I know it won’t be type 2 diabetes, and I’m reasonably sure it won’t be heart disease or cancer, so I’ll stick to this wall… my guess is I’ll get hit by a bus while crossing the street, not paying attention, while on this forum… so I guess, you’re right. Keto might cause my death.

So is weight/obesity the only marker of health you are using? I’m curious because I still weigh over 400lbs, yet I’m healthier now than when I weighed 250.

I doubt Longo would qualify as a bad scientist. Anyway that sounds like simple chemistry to me, but I work in finance so what do I know?
What I mainly meant with my post is that I personally prefer to investigate things rather than assume everything is all right, if it appears not to be so. Maybe you guys have a measure of faith in keto that I don’t have. To me, it is a tool, and if it doesn’t work, I change it. And if I hear a good scientist give rational biochemical reasons that may explain the stalls, I ponder them. As I said I don’t even know if it a good explanation but I wouldn’t discard it, or any other piece of information for that matter, just because it says something not in line with what I want to hear.

I am sorry, I didn’t notice you were answering to another post and even another thread. I was mostly answering, as briefly as possible, to the previous post, which was a reply to me, and I thought you just had added your point to that.

This is a actually a thing. I read it in a book called focusing. I’m just adding this for interest value. Not arguing that it is scientific or proven or whatever. If anyone is interested though I think this is the website. That book when you scroll down is the one I have. Lots of info about how to use your body’s “intelligence” (dont slaughter me, I don’t know what other word to use) to help you heal by literally asking it what’s going on.

http://www.focusing.org/more_about_focusing.htm

Again, don’t hate me. I find alt-truth BS fascinating and its relevent to the original post

Again, didn’t say this is hard science people.

That’s exactly what I do. Did it for 30 years and in the process accumulated 30 lbs. Now that I know how to eat to keep it off I still find myself doing the same thing. Even though the food is healthy and balanced, the extra calories for me will put the weight back on.

Ah well, if that’s the worst of my problems my life is good :wink: At least now when I catch myself it’s only a couple of pounds and they come off quickly.

OT

Thank you for posting this. I hesitate in taking it though…I’m pretty good now at identifying folks who are ignorant in this way. Do I really want to know for sure and be even further frustrated? :roll_eyes:

Sorry for the OT post.

(Sarah Bruhn) #58

Sheesh never mind

Regina, I’ve been in premature menopause for years due to hysterectomy but have only gotten a belly this last year. It’s devastated me! I’ve been in Full Ketosis for 2 weeks but seem to be as bloated as ever. How long before you saw a notable difference in your belly?

(Ryan Ashton) #60

I was just being honest: she seems a lot brighter than me. It’s not common for people to admit their own shortcomings so I can understand why you thought I was trying to be clever or an asshole.

Thanks for playing but you’re wrong.

Soooo… how about them Raiders.

(Sarah Bruhn) #62

yes very raider…y

My gut wants to disagree with this. Your body’s metobilism could be adapting to your current usual intake/activity. Maybe it’s just time to shake things up?

Also why is everyone battling so hard in this thread?
I vote we leave egos at the door.