I think I’m out, y’all

(What The Fast?!) #107

I’ve never heard of einkorn, but I’ll look it up!

(Sam) #108

Hi Jillian
Personal question… Do you suffer chronic pain? I have endometriosis and I’m also on a very high dose of Vitamin D3.

(What The Fast?!) #109

Also, here’s an image of weight over the last year…I started keto at like 148-149. I immediately got down to 141 (mostly water, I assume), but then I suffered severe burns (second degree, from boiling water spilled on my chest, long story) and I imagine the stress of that prevented weight loss. You’ll see a few jumps - I gained when I went ZC and I gained again when I tried the Fat Burning Female Project, where you include more carbs (that’s the high point in September). The downward trend from that point on has been from fasting. Each time you see a bump from there was a weekend trip or vacation - we went to Whistler to ski a few times, Christmas is in there, and then went to Hawaii over NYE for a wedding. Apparently my social life is getting in the way. I always remain keto while I’m traveling and generally work out while I’m gone as well (in Hawaii it was hiking, surfing, paddleboarding; in Whistler it was lots of skiing). The only thing I do on vacay that I don’t do at home is drinking, but interestingly, I generally stay in ketosis because of all the activity.

I do think there’s been some body recomposition though. I didn’t take measurements when I first started unfortuately. I did get a DEXA a few months in. I got another after a month of ZC and had gained body fat (WOMP WOMP). I am planning on getting a new DEXA this week or next as well (and will report back).

Anyway - as you can see, fasting is slooooowly driving the number down. I don’t think I’ll drink terribly much in Cancun and I plan to be active on that vacation as well.

(jilliangordona) #110

I do not, endometriosis has been ruled out. My mother has it, so I am hyperaware

(Richard Morris) #111

Yes. We’d love that recipe too. Jules and I had a sourdough starter that we let die when we went keto. But I’m thinking that a regular sourdough for her might be something she would add in to her diet, too.

(Ryan Ashton) #112

What made you go keto in the first place and why did you stick with it for a year and a half?

Has it handled any of the issues that you had that made you decide to become keto in the first place?

Everyone is different and for some, just a few grams of carbs can pop one out of ketosis. If you’ve been doing any cheating then going in and out of ketosis will make you feel very lousy because you’re body will not be in an efficient fat-burning state and yet you’re also feeding your body too little carbs to fuel it. It’s that ketogenic no-mans-land where you’re not burning fat but you have no carbs to burn either - hence the low energy.

Another possibility is adrenal fatigue. Drink a lot of coffee? Have a lot of life stress and/or training stress? Have another blood test that check cortisol levels.

Do you have a food diary to share with us? I would be curious to have a look see.

In any case, good luck for the future.

Regards,

Ryan

You can't expect your body to let go of fat that it still needs
(Ryan Ashton) #113

The other possibility is that she was eating too many carbs for her body (possibly cheating here and there) and was going in and out of ketosis so the body didn’t become an efficient fat-burner but also didn’t have enough carbs to get energy from that.

(jilliangordona) #114

I don’t have a food diary. I measure blood ketones. I was always in ketosis and knew how many carbs I was eating.

(Ryan Ashton) #115

More importantly, how do you feel?

(Ryan Ashton) #116

No, not weird. I think that’s your body talking to you - telling you that you don’t need what’s in meat. Possibly. Or just some unusual aversion from a body out of whack.

I’m still curious about how strictly you’ve followed keto over the last year and a half.

(jilliangordona) #117

Very strictly, with a long stretch of zero carb.

(Ryan Ashton) #118

Do you or have you kept a food diary? Something you could share with us? I would be interested in seeing that and seeing if we can help with your goals.

(Ryan Ashton) #119

You see, the thing with blood ketone levels, is that if your body is using the ketones correctly then (as far as I understand it from feedback I’ve gotten from an expert in the field - Peter Defty) your ketone readings shouldn’t be in the 6-7 mmol/L range - they should be lower. It’s like your body is circulating these ketones throughout your blood and not doing anything with them. It sounds to me like something is keeping your out of ketosis even though your numbers are saying otherwise.

There is something wrong with the fat-burning engine. High cortisol?

(jilliangordona) #120

@Ryan_Ashton I’m aware of this. There are no secret sabotaging ingredients because I don’t eat anything out of a box.

I appreciate your help, but I can promise I do keto right. I haven’t always, but for most of my keto journey I had it right

(Ryan Ashton) #121

Sorry I kept asking about the carbs. It’s probably more important to keep a food diary than it is to measure blood ketones. Then if something changes interns of weight, energy, etc, it is easy to go back and see what you were eating.

(Ryan Ashton) #122

That’s good to know.

So, for some reason your body doesn’t seem to be preferring ketones as fuel as opposed to glucose.

High cortisol? My body fat was melting away until I started heavy training for Ironman. My stress levels went up, along with my fasting glucose and now I’m having trouble shedding the last 3-4% bad fat that I wanna lose for my race. Weight training can also cause cortisol to increase and if one is adding that on top of a stressful job and too much coffee then you’re heading for trouble.

(Ryan Ashton) #123

You might find this interesting…

https://lowcarbgenesis.com/blog/high-levels-ketones-not-equal-greater-weight-loss/

(What The Fast?!) #124

I used to track meticulously (for maaaaaaany months, and pre-keto as well). I stopped because I found it created more stress. Now I just test for ketones. And, I’m fasting so much that a few extra carbs don’t seem to affect ketosis. But, here’s an example. I broke an 89 hour fast yesterday with:
Lunch: 1 smal avocado with olive oil, bacon
Dinner: ribeye w blue cheese sauce (blue cheese, creme fraiche), bone marrow, Cobb salad (romaine lettuce, blue cheese, bacon, avocado), low carb cheesecake and 2 strawberries

This morning my BG was 82 and ketones 3.4.

Clearly I was feasting last night (also V Day). I don’t typically eat much dairy, yesterday was an exception.

I have made sourdough starter from einkorn wheat. I used the highly milled version and then made the bread using einkorn I purchased from someone who grows it. I used to do this once a year for my daughter who really missed bread but has an intolerance to gluten which caused her to be very sad and emotional. She seemed to handle the einkorn fine but like I said it was a once a year thing.

(Wendy Shank) #126

Not sure the best way to share the recipe, but here is a link to a pdf I did (made the bread last night and wrote down what I did). Feel free to use any way you like on the site! https://www.dropbox.com/s/zcbkfd8zvnktywl/Sourdough%20Einkorn-Rye.pdf?dl=0