WTF Kerrygold!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #41

For what it’s worth, one of the reasons the canola variety of rape was bred was to lower its erucic acid content, since studies in rats showed that erucic acid could be toxic to the heart. Those rat studies have since been called into question, since rats apparently handle erucic acid much more poorly than do most mammals. One source I read stated that the toxic effects observed in rats have not been observed in human beings.

“Rape” < Lat. rapa ‘turnip’, and the plant is related to kale, mustard, and broccoli in the family of the Brassicaea.

(linda) #42

Excellent point to support local!-- I’m in Chicago (we have rats not cows) and I think I fell for all the marketing with Kerrygold. But Michigan and Wisconsin are close by so I’ll make a point of tracking some down.

(Bob M) #43

Can we just agree that if you have to resort to using things like hexane to get to your oil, maybe that oil is something humans shouldn’t be eating? (And I know someone will say, but what about “impeller expressed canola oil?” No idea, but to me, if you can’t take something, squeeze it and get oil out of it, we shouldn’t be eating it. That includes avocado oil, for me anyway.)

(Polly) #44

This is my favourite at the moment:

But I sometimes buy Lurpak or Sainsbury’s West Country Butter.

(Jane) #45

This one is good also

(linda) #46

Thank you Janie!!

only 1 store in my area carries that and I was so close to buying it one day but then I just defaulted to my usual purchase…but this is good huh? It is definitely cheaper than kerrygold around me. I might now grab a few and try them out since ya said you liked them. cool

My favs are…
this one (stock photo, ive run out :frowning: )

And this one…

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #49

Since we’re playing show & tell, here’s my butter which I get at my local Whole Foods:

The Walmart where I work sells this butter, which I also use when Walmart has it in stock:

Nanak is a local Indian dairy here in Vancouver. Not sure of distribution outside of Vancouver/Canada. Verka is a big international Indian dairy so its products are likely available everywhere there are Indian ethnic communities.

Of course, you can always make your own clarified butter from any regular unsalted butter.

I use ghee exclusively since I eat butter for the fat only. I could make it myself, but I’m not a kitchen person and don’t particularly want to bother.

I use Grahams regular salted or organic to make my ghee. Wait till its on sale then stock up and make a big batch.
The Isigny and the Skye butter are to good (and more exspensive)

(Bob M) #51

I just bought unsalted butter, for recipes and to make high-stearic acid butter as per Fire in a Bottle. This stuff gets expensive. There was some supposedly from only grass-fed cows, but it was $4.29/package. Kerry Gold is $4/package where I live, unless you get it from Costco. There was some French stuff that was $6.xx/package. I like the Plugra, too, but I can’t tell whether it’s from grass-fed only cows. Tastes good, though.

I did a comparison, though, and at least by the information on the boxes, they all seemed to be the same fat content. In the US, we do this by “serving size” and I find the producer likes to make this size small, to get better numbers. We might tease differences out, if they did it by 100 grams.

can you give me an idea on this price. just curious and does it ‘go longer’ than a stick of butter (or kinda what is amt. equiv. to butter sticks?) and I would think it would. I don’t bother making ghee and all that but never bothered checking out buying it premade either.

(Bob M) #53

We get Ghee in massive containers at Coscto. I’m not sure of the price difference, though. I do know you can make it cheaper for normal store prices, but it also will depend on the butter you use.

Ghee is not hard to make. I make it then enhance it with stearic acid.

I was thinking of trying something different, maybe over the Thanksgiving holiday. I would heat up butter in a pot, then cool it down. This supposedly allows the saturated fat part to “fall” to the bottom. If can drain off the “top”, what’s left should be higher in saturated fat. Not sure how long you get to “cool” it before it becomes a solid mass again. (Too bad gravy separators are plastic: I doubt they could take the heat of butter, but maybe?)

(Bob M) #54

Hmm: They make glass gravy separators. I might have to get one, as our plastic one has “spider” cracks in it, though does not leak:

(Jim) #55

Response is easy, just don’t buy it. Hopefully they won’t mess with their real butter.

For any of you here in Europe, Lidl’s butters are excellent despite being a good deal less expensive than Lurpack and other butters. I’ve even done a blind taste test on all the butters in our market (because I’m a baker and flavor mattered for making things like Italian meringue buttercream). Lidl came out consistently high.
They have it on sale several times throughout the year so I stock up and put in the freezer.

(Neil) #57

We have transitioned to Ghee for all cooking fat needs. It stays on the counter permanently and a jar made with 2 sticks of unsalted organic butter lasts 2-3 weeks (I.e. it’s empty after that). YMMV. I also use it on Keto rolls and crackers sometimes.

(Alex ) #58

@Neilx

I find the window of perfect / completely black and ruined ghee is very narrow, that’s the only thing that puts me off making lots more.

Agreed, they’re not bad. We have Lidl here in the US too :wink:

@ifod14, I didn’t know that! I’ve seen Aldi there, but never Lidl. Presume it’s a regional thing. Wonder how the stock varies (there’s quite a difference between what Lidl carries here and what they carry elsewhere in Europe – completely off topic!)