WTF Kerrygold!

OK, maybe I’m being anal here but I’d think a company that prides itself (supposedly) on their super high quality butter from their healthy cows eating that gold laced Irish grass all day would never consider making this abomination! I mean… HOW? It would be like Whole Foods making a section of GMOd frankenfoods (although they do sell impossible meat :grinning:) I’m all for business and making money… but pick a side!

(Vic) #2

Disgusting and poisonous. :face_with_monocle::face_vomiting:

(bulkbiker) #3

They picked a side a long time ago … it’s called profits.

I love Kerrygold but when I researched them long ago they had alot of ‘not from pasture raised’ cow issues and were in the media and more on it…but hey…it is all about profits and they are gonna make whatever they want but yea, pick a side. Won’t be in my buggy while shopping tho! :wink: Plus Kerry is getting darn expensive on the butter, I am one step from going back to regular old store butter and not worrying about those higher prices.

(UsedToBeT2D) #5

Veg oil cuts their production cost in half.

(Bob M) #6

Supposedly, they did feed the cows in the winter with other feed, though I thought it was still grass?

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #7

Interesting… Do they list vegetable oil as an ingredient?

OK Just saw the fine print…

Just saw the label… Says " Suitable for vegetarians " …

Someone needs to tell them it’s not suitable for anyone…

yea it was longer ago I read about it but it made a hoopla about their ‘advertising’ only pasture fed cows etc. Not sure anymore on what the details were on it tho.

(GINA ) #9

People like convenience. I have had people tell me they only use margarine because butter is too hard to spread. :roll_eyes:

I know, I know.

(Jack Bennett) #10

That is literally the only reason. Canola tastes worse than butter and is not good for you.

Why would you use it? Because it takes too much planning to take a stick of butter and put it in a butter dish and leave the dish outside the fridge.

Remember: https://youtu.be/Cfk2IXlZdbI

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #11

Before I knew better, I preferred the taste of some margerines to butter.

(UsedToBeT2D) #12

I used to leave the butter on the counter so that it was soft to spread. Now I leave a quarter cup on the counter for use for soft spread. The rest goes in the fridge.

(Vic) #13

Words of wisdom :+1:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #14

This is the natural progression of capitalism at work. They have a product, its quality was good enough to give them a following, now demand exceeds supply, so in order to capture some more of that lovely money, they adulterate the product. Who was it who said, “Greed is good”?

As consumers catch on, demand will drop, and we’ll see if they ever regain their customers’ loyalty once sales have declined enough for them to realise they’ve done themselves in.

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #15

Are they still selling regular butter?

Ya, the normal two were right beside it.

I’m all for capitalism, there would be no businesses or products without it or the drive to be better than the competition, but the move just doesn’t make sense for their business model. I get the demand for a spreadable butter, but given who their customers are, they could have used something like tasteless avocado oil and accomplished the same thing. It’s not like people who buy a 3lb tub of country crock are going to spend Kerrygold price for block or small little tub of butter. Plus, the people who do spend the little extra for grass fed butter aren’t going to eat something with Canola oil in it. Doesn’t make sense from either end to me.

(Jane) #18

I haven’t refrigerated butter in years and never got sick from it. It stays on my counter year-round. Well, the extras go in the fridge but only until the butter on the counter is used up.

I suspect the notion you should refrigerate butter was promoted by the margerine companies :thinking:

(GINA ) #19

I have a covered dish that holds a block of Kerrygold perfectly and I leave it on the counter. Extras stay in the fridge.

(linda) #20

What other butter do you all prefer??
I thought Kerrygold was the best!