WTF Kerrygold!

(Neil) #61

It comes with practice. The key is, once the butter has melted, turning the heat down so it simmers gently - and leave it alone. I never stir it, so the milk solids just clump together at the bottom. I use an induction hob with a timer that switches the plate off. That means I can check towards the end to see if it’s done to my satisfaction then do it a few minutes at a time if not. A little browning of the solids imparts a fabulous taste and smell to the ghee.

Haha, ya, after all the Aldi’s popped up it took less than a year for Lidl to have a problem with that and there’s almost as many of them around now. There’s gotta be 5 or 6 of them in a 20 min circle of my house. I’ve also wondered if the stock is much different. I do notice a lot of stuff dairy wise is a lot of Irish and NZ, a lot of the pre packed steaks are NZ and AU based, especially the grass fed stuff, haven’t been in there in a while though, the wifes convinced the reason it’s so affordable is because it’s all about to expire or something, I disagree as I’m a cheapskate.

(Alex ) #63

@Neilx

I follow an internet guide which incorporates two separate bubbling/frothing stages with the pan on medium heat, you have to keep stirring slowly throughout but you can miss the end point so easily, it turns black so fast!

Love the taste of home made ghee though, so nice in Bulletproof Coffee when you have that slightly Smokey honeycomb flavour!

This is the guide I follow, I’d be interested to see yours and know your cooking times?

(Neil) #64

That looks as good as any guide to making ghee as any. I don’t bother with cutting the butter or any stirring but I might try it next time and see if the results are better/quicker. I just put 2 blocks of unsalted butter in a small ‘milk’ pan and let it melt gently on a low to medium heat. This maybe takes 10 minutes and it is boiling by then. I turn it down low and leave it simmering for up to 30 minutes. I check it often in the last 5 minutes or so to make sure it is still boiling gently but not burning. I use a fine mesh tea strainer rather than a muslin bag to strain it once cool. The solids are encrusted on the bottom of the pan and slightly browned. It goes in the fridge for a day then comes out and stays on the counter.

Even my wife, who generally regards me as weird, loves it and has ditched all the other cooking fats (apart from coconut oil in her chicken meatballs).

(Alex ) #65

@Neilx

I think my issue may be the pan temperature in the final 10 minutes or so, might try your way with a 30 minute simmer next time I do it.

I don’t use the muslin either, I’ve got a big stainless steel strainer here, I usually skim the top off the end product in the final moments, and then pour through it into the glass jar…

It is a very acquired taste and sensation though, I love using it to bake chicken thighs and belly pork in the oven, I tend to throw in a tablespoon or so as I would with coconut oil! flavoursome!

(Neil) #66

Good plan. I have seen some videos where they suggest a thermometer to make sure the temperature doesn’t go too high, but that isn’t really needed if you simply turn down the heat once the water has evaporated.

I use ghee for all cooking. It’s especially good in sautéed and stir-fried vegetables and cauliflower or broccoli rice. It’s great for steaks too as it’s smoke point is so high.