Women runners over 50

(GINA ) #42

Wow, eight miles on a treadmill! I am of the opinion treadmill miles should count double.

I did four miles and it is nice to be able to run outside all year round. I did get stung by a wasp today. They are out year round too. Still beat the treadmill though. :grin:

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #43

Signed up for a 5K trail run 5/19 with my son (15) :astonished:. He loves trail running. Omergerd!

I’m going to run T/Th/Sat and do FYR program on other days to condition.

I’m up to 2mi :roll_eyes::joy:. Ah well… off to buy some strapping tape :grimacing:

I am quite sad reading all your responses.(Sniff, sniff) I started running (hobbling, more like) in 2013 to show my podiatrist that yes, I could run, despite what he called my “terrible feet” and to show my GP that yes, I could lose weight and not become diabetic. I was 64 at the time. I ran in cold, heat and rain. Neighbors would offer to give me rides home, but I hobbled on. I did lots of 5ks and 10 ks, usually bringing up the rear with the police car trailing me and once, getting unbelievably lost with another runner on a 10k through a vineyard. Finally, in 2014, I did the Disney Princess Half, one of the best memories of my life!

Then my “terrible feet and legs” got their revenge in 2015. I started having awful hip pain, got injections, yada yada. Couldn’t finish the Princess Half, cried on the bus back to the finish line. Reluctantly put away all my running gear and gained back 40 pounds.

Started keto this year in January. Thought maybe I’d at least try to walk like I used to run. (The speed is actually about the same.) Nope, not happening. Posterior tibial tendonitis reappeared in my life, new orthotics and the serious threat of having to wear an Arizona brace for the rest of my life-- it’s rigid plastic and comes halfway up your leg) forced me to realize–very sadly-- that I can’t exercise like I used to. Two months in a slightly less invasive brace calmed the inflammation down to where I could walk without a limp. Started keto to lose this weight once and for all. I’m down 25 pounds, with 20 to go.

So I’m with you all in spirit, wishing I could be out there, bringing up the rear but enjoying every minute. Even my hiking days seem to be behind me, if I want to avoid the dreaded Arizona brace. I inspired several friends to start running and they’re still out there. I guess I’ll content myself with being part of the cheering squad.

Run on, girls!

(Kristin) #45

Slow and steady!!

(Kristin) #46

@Noapples4u, I’m sorry to hear about you not being able to run.

(Kristin) #47

I’m having some amazing results I want to share…I’ve been eating keto for 5 months and building a base. I’ve dropped my speed a full minute and a half and just allowing my body to acclimate to running on fat. Slowly I’ve noticed improvements in endurance and slightly in speed. Yesterday I ran my first 10 miler in years and didn’t have to stop to walk. It was crazy. And just now, a day later I ran another 5. I think my body likes running on fat!! Thanks for allowing me to share my excitement!! :slight_smile:

Thanks, I guess I should be happy that I’m still standing at 67— and feeling great on this diet! --but I miss the runner’s “high”!

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #49

Out for a run this morning! Sunny and perfect :smiley:. Found out the trail run is more of a field run - not the park I thought. That should be much easier and less precarious :+1:t2:

I still haven’t got up to 3.2 mi with no walking but every time I get out there I’m improving. So pleased! Got sturdy shock absorbing trail running shoes and my joints have been fine! :astonished:. Appropriate foot wear - who woulda thought :joy:

(Julie ) #50

Did the Garmin Land of Oz Half Marathon yesterday- not my best time but still not to bad. Hopefully by the end of summer my left heal will not hurt anymore so I can work on time races. The best part of this race no nutrition was needed and since it was cool and overcast with some sprinkles did not burn through the propel.

(Kristin) #51

That’s awesome! Well done. I’m trying to decide whether to run a half or a full in Sept…

(Julie ) #52

That is cool, I am sure you will make the correct selection for yourself. Thank you, so much.:grinning:

(GINA ) #53

I did the 12K in Big Sur last weekend. It is hilly and both my hamstrings were sore for a day or so, but not bad.

(Edith) #54

Hi Ladies,

I need some training advice for those of you who have done a half marathon.

I am running a half in two weeks. Due to some stupidity a few months ago, I hurt myself and had to take a break for three weeks. To make a long story short, as a result I am only up to eleven miles with two weeks left to go. My body, especially my lower back, punished me for torturing it this morning.

I would like some suggestions on how to proceed for the next two weeks with training so I don’t overdo it and still make the entire half.

I am 52 and run three to four days a week:

Cheers,
Edith

(Kristin) #55

@VirginiaEdie I have heard that no training gains are to be had two weeks out. I’d suggest doing some short easy runs, no more than 5 miles, about 3 times a week two weeks out and then just 3 miles 3 times the week before. You’ll be better off that way. Good luck and enjoy yourself!!

(Kristin) #56

Plus 11 miles is all your longest run should be for a half!!

(GINA ) #57

This. Eleven miles is the longest run of many training plans.

(Edith) #58

Thank you for your advice.

I was originally thinking about doing 11 miles next weekend just so my body can experience it one more time before the big day. I will ramp it down for the next two weeks instead.

(Jan Wyatt) #59

Just did my 1st “Park Run” on Saturday and i was 48hrs fasted. 5klm in 31min with 300 other runners. I was very happy for a starter run. http://www.parkrun.com.au/ I use this Aussie brand of Collagen
https://www.gelatinaustralia.com.au/collections/all

(Julie ) #60

You should be good since you have hit 11 miles for your half marathon. Since you had an injury though I would not worry about setting a PR (Person Record) and time, I would just go out to enjoy the race. One other item not sure where you race will be, but be sure to have electrolyte’s drink with you as that will help on the race. Good luck and have a good time, look forward to hearing about it on the board.

(Kristin) #61

Good plan @VirginiaEdie! And good luck!! Let us know how you do. :slight_smile: