Women runners over 50

(Kristin) #1

Anyone out there? I’d like to connect with some other women runners. Hoping to hear from some of you on your progress with keto and running.

Running links

I am full of admiration for anyone who runs, but I honestly believe that God, in Her wisdom, gave us horses so we dont HAVE to run!!!
Specially us old chicks :racehorse::horse::rofl::rofl:

(GINA ) #3

Me, Me! Although I am on hiatus right now with a hamstring and IT problem. I have been in PT for 3 weeks now and have a few more sessions.

I am 51 and have been runnng for 8-9 years off and on. I am not fast by any stretch of the imagination, but with training I have a lot of endurance. I have done several half marathons and many, many 5 and 10ks.

I have never been a high carb runner, but I use Ucan and target carbs around long runs. I run anything less than 5 miles fasted, but have always pooped out if I go longer than that.

Me, too. I’ll be 50 in June so close enough and I love running! I’m just now starting keto, about 3 weeks in and the speed and distance have greatly suffered but I understand I’m fat adapting and it won’t always be like this. Even though it’s very difficult to even run slowly at this stage of the diet, it’s kind of nice to take a break from endurance and just try to muster enough to get me fat adapted. Then, from what I understand, we’ll be VERY efficient runners.

(Kristin) #5

@GME, I hope you heal up well!

(Kristin) #6

Give it a little more time and you will start seeing improvement. I too had to cut back and slow down but now, after nearly 5 months keto I’m starting to see increased endurance and my speed is slowly coming back .

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #7

Well, I’m I’m only 49 :tipping_hand_woman:‍♀…for three more days :laughing:. I love running but I’m off and on with it. I’m more of a 5K girl, but mostly from a time commitment angle. I did one half marathon but I didn’t like to have to run instead of going for a bike ride with my kids or whatever. I was also pre Keto, gained weight and got injured :face_with_head_bandage:.

I really want to get back into it this Spring (if that ever happens :unamused: :snowflake:). So far I’ve just done sporadic hill sprints. I’ve been lifting weights so I’m hoping things will go better.

I’m with you, Jezza. I don’t like training for the longer distances anymore because I hate long, slow runs. THey’re boring and take forever. I much prefer a few hill sprints or some speed intervals and be done. It is enough for me at this stage and I like to do other things like you mentioned. There was a time and place for that distance stuff and I loved it when I loved it, but things are different now.
How long have you been keto?

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #9

I was Keto for the first time last Summer. 8 weeks and then I decided to “enjoy” my vacation and then just do a fast like Jason Fung does :rofl::rofl::rofl:. Got back to a sloppy Keto Jan 2 this year. Got rid of the nightly spritzers Feb 1, which I consider my real restart. I’m in such a great spot now there is no way I’m letting it go again.

What’s your story? What’s everyone’s story? :smiley:

While I’m not exactly a runner, I am a 53 year old tennis player who plays doubles in 3 tennis leagues and drills the rest of the week. It’s cardio intense when done properly.

I’m 5 weeks into keto and have noticed a drop in endurance in terms of being winded during tennis and fatigued after, but overall I’m starting to notice an increase in energy levels.

Well that was until yesterday. I do believe I have an electrolyte imbalance I’m trying to sort out.

I hope I can contribute to this group as while not really a runner, I am in a way.

I’m also an active tennis player, at 73. I play 3 times/wk with younger players. And I’ve noticed not only better play, but an increase of energy on the court including endurance. The past couple years I was beginning to not want to play that 3rd set, but now it’s no problem at all. And I’m full-on running again, willingly, to try to get any shot the opponents can dish up. I’m also physically strong, surprisingly flexible, not achy the next morning, and can generally remember the score (lol). Vision is OK too. On keto, almost everything has gotten better.

Best bonus? Playing has become really fun again, …when it had been less so recently. Subconsciously I must have decided I’m dedicated again since this past week I just purchased another ‘back up’ racket, and two more pairs of ‘my shoes’.

I was lazy keto all last year, and strict keto since last Christmas, so almost 3 months. I’ve ‘only’ dropped about 10 pounds since doing it seriously, and am still over 200. I can only seeing it getting better over time. But being an old broad, it’s going to be slower than I would like.

Oh, this is a fun thread! Welcome to all the tennis playin’, keto-lovin’ youngsters :slight_smile: You guys rock

My story is I tried keto about 4 or so years ago and while it was effective, I got lazy with it and started to gain weight and just let it go. I started up again because carbs and I just don’t get along. The interesting fact, however, is that fat in abundance makes me gain weight, so I have to hit it just right, thus keto is tricky for me…not too much fat but enough, not too much protein and barely any carbs.
I’ve experienced some really nice bonuses so far, but I got carried away with coconut milk before I knew it was 15 carbs per can. I wasn’t having a whole can a day, but it crept up to more and more and more to where I was no longer in ketosis and started to gain back the weight I’d lost at first.
So, back on the bandwagon and trying to get it right. Im MUCH calmer about it this time around. Like I do my best but I’m not going to stress out if there is social event and more carbs than I would normally have. I don’t crave them, so the only reason I’d eat them is if that was what was being served at someone’s house or whatever. Being out of ketosis for a spell is not at all the end of the world, and being IN it all the time is not at all a guarantee of weight loss.
So, I keep thinking long-term here. Like I have family coming from Hawaii in a few days and I’m going to have to roll somewhat wtih the punches. It’s three days and if they make me a meal with white rice in it (as they don’t HAVE meals without it lol) I"ll eat enough to be polite or i"ll just accept it on my plate and not eat it at all, we’ll see. But i"m not going to stress on it and I’m not going to be the diet freak of the group - been there done that. No more

(Kristin) #13

I am happy this thread is moving! I’m 53 and been doing Keto since October 2017. I felt immediate benefits in mood and energy and I was hooked. I lost a bit, gained a bit but am realizing that I am gaining muscle and losing fat as my measurements keep going down. Plus I really don’t have a lot to lose. I love running but like the rest of you, I like to mix it up. I “count” spin classes in my weekly mileage! I’m excited to see what it feels like to be a fat burning marathoner…so far it’s been pretty effortless. I’ve run 5 marathons in two years but ran the last in 2012. I did a half two summers ago and nearly ruined my knee. As I up my mileage now I’m amazed at how good all my joints feel! I’m glad to have a group of women like you to turn to for support. <3

(GINA ) #14

Thanks!

I did a race this morning. It is a tradition with some friends, but we all walked- me and my hamstring, one friend with a knee injury, and one with a big (baby) belly.

My IT was fine and I could feel my hamstring, but it didn’t hurt. That’s progress for sure.

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #15

Yes you must report back about lack of joint pain, injury or muscle soreness! I did try to train for another 1/2 but got up to about 9mi run in my training and the hip was bad. The knees were bad. Then I had some kind of groin injury and that finished me. It was very disappointing. I expect to be able to run pain free. I really do!

(Kristin) #16

@Jezza. I have been using a collagen supplement and it seems to be helping. I have had hip, knee, ankle and foot pain at various times in my racing “career” (thankfully never at the same time) but I am feeling great so far. I’ve dropped my time a full minute per mile, maybe even more, and that might be helping as well. I’m going to start introducing speed work into my training either this week or next. Just 1/4 mile sprint sets. So far I’ve just been running 5 miles on 5 of the days of the week. The longest I’ve run is 7 miles last week but I felt fine. Maybe slow your speed way down? Are you injured now or just hesitant to start up training again?

(GINA ) #17

I had been taking collagen for years for my hair, skin and nails. I would get little pains in my knees, hips, wherever, but they would go away quickly. Lately they have been hanging on. Besides my hamstring and IT, I am also nursing some tennis elbow (no tennis played here).

I realized that I ran out of collagen a couple of months ago and hadn’t replaced it. That was about when all my current aches started.

I bought some more and took a dose this morning. I hope it helps.

(Kristin) #18

I bet that’s it. As our bodies age they likely benefit more from those extras. Here’s hoping this gets you feeling better again!

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #19

I’m just hesitant. Also I prefer to run outside. Additionally I’m on week 4 of 12 of a weight training program and there hasn’t been any cardio - yet. Starts next week.

I have Perfect Keto Collagen! :woman_facepalming: I forgot :joy:. I did 4.5 day fast last week so I stopped taking it. I should get back to it before that cardio starts! I’m planning on alternate day fasting next week though. How often do you supplement with it and which one do you take?

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #20

:astonished: :tada: Gimme!

Slooooow down…righhhhhhht :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. One of my biggest struggles. Too much. Too soon. Too fast.