Women runners over 50

(GINA ) #21

I usually do a heaping tablespoon in a cup of coffee.

I have Great Lakes collagen hydrolysate. I have also used Sports Research hydrolyzed collagen peptides and they were easier to mix. I don’t really know the difference other than that.

That is amazing Alexia! I hope to be playing tennis into my 70’s - what an inspiration you are!

I nearly gave it up this past year. I sprained my ankle so badly in August that by January, thought my tennis days were done as I still had pain in my ankle. A few weeks later it noticed I was pain free - not sure why but I had some serious tearing and stretching of the ligaments and a bone contusion and it took 6 months to heal.

I started keto well after I resumed playing tennis after my ankle issue. I am currently on my way to becoming fat adapted. But I have already noticed a stamina increase and I really see the ball. Since starting keto I feel I am playing my best tennis ever. I can track the ball so clearly and I can keep focus to see the ball hit the racquet strings. I couldn’t remember seeing this pre-keto.

I recover quickly between matches and I am now playing 5 days a week. I would be injured by now in the past, perhaps I should tone it down a notch. But I am not stiff or tired the following day.

I do sometimes need a nap in the afternoons I play tennis, but I think it is because I am either dehydrated or not fully fat adapted yet. I started taking magnesium supplements and have ordered pink salt to boost my electrolytes.

Like you I feel I have a renewed zest for tennis because of how I feel. Keto is great! I love it!

Hi Gina:

I am a tennis player and have suffered through a few serious bouts of tennis elbow - so much so that I could not hold a coffee cup or put dishes away. What really helps is deep tissue massage - sort of like active release therapy or even better rolfing. It is very painful but it helps break down the fascia and scar tissue (if any). If you are able to find a rolfer - can also provide relief for IT band issues as well.

Also purchasing sports band helps relieve the pain for tennis elbow. Good luck.

(Kristin) #24

I use Great Lakes collagen too. Not daily but at least weekly.

(Kristin) #25

And I noticed that you did a long fast, well done!! My longest has been just over 3 days. That is my current sweet spot.

(GINA ) #26

Maybe it is a coincidence, but I think the collagen is helping already. I have been taking a couple of heaping tablespoons since Saturday (today is Tuesday). Last night I was able to reach around back and unhook my bra instead of twisting the hooks around to the front. I haven’t been able to do that without pain in in my elbow for a month. It isn’t 100%, but much better.

Good news on that.

I started taking collegen as well. I have noticed my knees don’t crunch and grind as much walking up stairs.

Not sure if it’s keto or collegen. I’m really hoping to see a difference in my hair quality hence taking collegen.

(Julie ) #28

Almost 53 yrs and did a half marathon with friends a few weeks back with another planned for mid April. Both are for fun, not time. We walk it usually finish in 3 hours and 14 mins. I have not done a time check yet, not since being on keto (11 weeks so far) but just before was dipping into 11 mins miles and holding.

(Kristin) #29

I’m so happy to have this group!! Just started adding some heavy weights to my weekly work outs. I expect to be sore tomorrow!

(GINA ) #30

I had my last session of PT yesterday. According to their measurements I am much improved and the therapist said to try running mixed in walking now. She also said to keep doing the exercises and stretches at home.

I hope this does it. I felt like the massage was doing more than anything, so I’ll look into that if it starts up again.

(Kristin) #32

@GME, wonderful news!! Have you tried running yet? How’d it go? Shooting for 8 miles tomorrow.

(GINA ) #33

No running yet. I did walk 6 miles today. I am signed up for a 12k that is part of the Big Sur Marathon events in late April and I want to be able to do it, even if it is just walking.

For the first 5 miles or so, I could “feel” it, but it didn’t hurt. By the time I was almost done it was hurting a little, but I gave it a good stretch and it feels fine now.

(GINA ) #34

Anyone use the Maffetone Method or heart rate training?

Big Sur? You live near me, Gina. That’s a beautiful one!
I had a 10k on the schedule today in the same county, but I am taking a pass since I just got adapted (I can tell you the very DAY I noticed it) and haven’t been training at all for it. I don’t wanna hate my runs any more, so I just did a walk/run interval type of workout for the last about 6 weeks, and now that I’m feeling better, I get to train to get back in shape again, and maybe run a few races this summer, depending on how I feel.

(GINA ) #36

We’re neighbors. I am a teacher too (well, an administrator now).

I keep going out, thinking I am going to add run intervals, then chicken out. I am kind of weird about injuries. I had to have achilles surgery a few years ago because I had a chunk of bone growing under it, threatening to cause a rupture. Between the initial treatment and recovering from surgery I was out for over a year. Gained a bunch of weight (much of which hangs on still) and lost a lot of fitness. I guess deep down I’m scared it is going to happen again.

I’m in Sonoma County - are you doing any running, then? And if not, is that because you haven’t tried it yet after surgery or you’re not sure with keto? Or both?

(Quinn) #38

went for a run with this guy this morning

(GINA ) #39

The surgery was quite a while ago and I did run quite a bit after that. Right now it’s my hamstring and I guess I am afraid if I run too soon on it I will get laid up for a lot longer. It probably isn’t true, but there I am. I guess I am ‘making up for it’ by that may be worse.

(GINA ) #40

I went out today and mixed in some slow run intervals. My leg didn’t fall off, so there’s that. :smiley: I kept to my MAF heartrate and I was on the beach so it was slow (sand running causes a higher heart rate, for me anyway).

(Kristin) #41

Well done! I did my first 8 miler in ages yesterday and it was effortless…being in northern Illinois it’s still pretty chilly for running outside so I did it slow and steady on the treadmill. Jealous of you in the warmer climates.