Women runners over 50

(Kristin) #62

Fantastic job @wyatty66!!!

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #63

So I did 3.2 steady slow run at race site on Monday. It went well. I didn’t run the course since I hadn’t looked it up yet.

Sadly really felt it after. I’ve also been dealing with crushing fatigue (12 days into Keto restart). Could be due to other issues too. I may just have to wing it on race day with a run walk plan :slightly_frowning_face: and just do what I can.

I’m thinking of letting the running go after that until I’ve lost some weight. BMI is 26 but my bod is protesting :unamused:

(Kristin) #64

Tough runs are no fun. :frowning:
I agree with a walk run approach. How far is the race? Just pay close attention and don’t let ego push you past your limits!

(Edith) #65

Don’t be ashamed of the run/walk approach. It is easier on the body and will allow you to go farther distances if you want.

As long as your heart rate is in the aerobic zone you will still be getting aerobic benefit during the walk breaks.

Edith

(Edith) #66

Okay Ladies,

I ran my first half marathon on Sunday. I took your advice for the two weeks prior and took it easy. I did do a nine mile long run the weekend before because I run in the Vibram five finger shoes and I need to make sure my bones are used to the pounding.

I was not hungry when I woke up on race morning but I did drink water with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and eat a piece and a half of bacon pre-race. During the race I drank plenty of water and then added salt to my bottle at the halfway point.

The race went fine and it was relatively fun. I have the car magnet to show I made it. That was actually my motivation.

I will definitely plan on doing another one in the fall. I would love to get to the point where I feel like 13 miles is a “piece of cake.” That will be my cake since I don’t eat cake anymore. :wink:

Thanks for your advice,
Edith

(LeeAnn Brooks) #67

Congratulations on your run. I completed a half marathon two years ago and the sense of accomplishment was great.

Now I’m happy finishing 5 miles. I want to work back up to another half, and I kind of have a full on my bucket list. That’s half the reason I started Keto. I’m hoping it helps my endurance.

(Edith) #68

I thought I might want to try a full, but I’ve realized the time commitment to run that many miles, especially the long run on the weekend is just more time than I want to spend. I think the half for me will be a good level of endurance without using too much time.

I’ve never run this far before keto. Keto or just finally determined enough, or maybe both? I think keto and actually the 80/20 method of training I’ve been using is what did the trick.

Edith

(LeeAnn Brooks) #69

I just started the 80/20 method.

(Edith) #70

You’ll have to let me know how you like it.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #71

I downloaded the PEAR app, but I haven’t had a chance to play with it yet. Weather sucked here today, so I spent an hour on my treadmill instead.

(GINA ) #72

Congratulations!

I would really like to do a full marathon too, but the time commitment is huge.

(Kristin) #73

Well done @VirginiaEdie!! Yes, a half is an easy distance to keep up. Training for a full is a lot of work!! Glad you enjoyed it enough to want to run again.

(Julie ) #74

Congratulations!! Way to go :grinning: You are correct on the Full as it is a lot of commitment and work. Did 3 fulls 3 years ago.