Woah, my intestines are ...working over time?

(Debi) #1

Helloo,

Sorry if this is a repeat toping. I did try searching “diarrhea” and “goodheavens my ass” and other such things, but to no avail…so here goes.

I am 4 days in to a well researched vegan keto ( yes I know 2 ships that rarely meet). It is going well, no keto flu - I hit “large ketosis” on pee strips this afternoon, down 5lbs (I know it is all fluid), no cravings, not hungry, managing a 17 hour fast from 5pm til 10am ish…pretty magical right!!!

A little back ground - so I am a gymnastics coach, been whole food, plant based, sugar free, vegan for 6 years, but kept adding padding. I suspect my last vice - potato chip was doing that. I gave up sugar because I was addicted to it. So i think my addiction took the alternate route via carbs. Sooo giving up most of them too. My nutritional science knowledge is considerably above average, so know all the most common answers to my current quandary - the intestinal furry that is happening!!!

I know some intestinal adjustments are common and should go away…but this seems a bit peculiar and a lot inconvenient…am hoping it is just being new and my body will adjust. But maybe some of you have had this!!! And can offer me encouragement.

Here is what is happening. Tuesday (day 2) I was, for want of a better description, pissing out my arse from 4pm to 5:30pm. Today, day 4, same thing, same time.

Here is what I have ruled out.

1. My Macros and Micros are all on point. My electrolytes are solid, I track every morsel that goes in my body. Sodium (100 - 200mg) and potassium (4700mg) are on point. I do not have excess magnesium and I am not eating and more fat than I am used consuming (thanks to my previous vast potato chip consumption!) and my saturated fat is not higher than my body is used to. So I dont think it is the fats.

2. I dont use sugar alcohols. So it isnt them.

3. I am a plant based vegan…so new and exciting fiber hasnt changed, I still eat 25 - 30g a day and that shouldnt be a shock to my system.

4. I cant see any correlations in my food diary.

Sooo someone please tell me this wont last long and when I can hope for it to stop, and any ideas you have that may help - cos ya know, spotting tumbling kids when you are afraid to tighten your abs is NOT something that I can live with for long. :frowning:

THANKS for taking the time to post back!

(Empress of the Unexpected) #2

You searched for diarrhea and didn’t find it? I did a re-search and most of the threads that came up were started by me!! I had that same problem, which I thought would never end. In my case, it was due to 1. My body getting used to the large amount of fat (which I was way overdoing), and 2. the types of fats (I have for the most part given up on oils and heavy whipping cream, most dairy in fact, with the exception of cheeses). Now, as a vegan, you wouldn’t have the dairy issue, but what about any oils? Anything new that you have added in the fats department?

(Empress of the Unexpected) #3

I also have that problem when I go too long without eating.

(I Am The Egg Man ku-ku-kachoo) #4

I just have to say…

“Good heavens my ass”

Made me literally LOL. :joy:

Seems you ruled out most that could contributing, so I could add that maybe it was something you ate? Not meaning saturated fats, or oils, etc. Just basically saying, did you pick up a bug? It only takes a small amount to start you down that path. … And I’m hoping you haven’t eaten a salad from McD’s. It’ all I’ve been hearing on the radio, how so many people are getting diarrhea from something in their salads. (but this is the type of thing I was referring to)

And you would not be alone there! :smile:

(Debi) #6

Thank you all so much for taking time to reply - especially in light of my inadequacies in searching. Sorry! :slight_smile:

Digital Dave, It definitely isnt a bug, because I feel fine, it doesn’t even bother me when it is happening ( thank GOD it has not been while I am coaching…so far (worried face) and it has been 2 separate 90 minute bursts of pooping every 2 - 10 minutes. And I says again GOOD HEAVENS MY ASS!!! LOL

Can you guys tell me what you know about fasting and pooping? I have not researched that yet. I have done IF usually about 14 hours, for about 8 months prior to this - but that was in 2017, not 2018) before and did not have M.A “manic ass”…I am trying to head towards the 20:4 ratio, did 17 hrs every day this week, and only had MA Tuesday and today.

Regina…I am eating about 75-100g fat a day, most of which is from foods, nuts, almond butter, keto salad dressing (oil, vinegar, mustard, and a little stevia) is the one with actual oil. Eaten it every day this week for lunch. Nothing new except Stevia started yesterday…so that doesnt explain Tuesday.

Again, thanks so much for your time :kissing_heart:

I know a lot of folks mention going through M.A (to use your analogy) when first starting, usually the few weeks. (Including my self) so though it’s not much different from what your used to, it could be the cause? … As for fasting, I can’t say it that would cause it, but I’m not that versed, so others could probably provide better info.

I’m also taking it you’re speaking of IF, meaning the timeframe between meals on a daily basis? Not necessarily EF, meaning extended over days? (It sounds like the former?) … As for EF, I’m actually at 96 hrs. into a fast, and I can say unless my stomach is full, I might go in the first day to two, but rarely after. Until I break the fast and start putting food back in. … I can say that I’ve learned there are some foods not good to break a fast, (And I’m not sure if this is for both, IF & EF, but I only know when I have done at least 3 days EF, this effects me) That would be eggs and I’m told nuts, as well. … It was suggested I break with a small salad, followed by a meal 30-60 minutes later, and so far this has worked well.

When I did eggs, even just one, I get what you describe above, and it basically cleans your entire system out, and does take some time, usually a day or so, before it clears up. … Hope this is helpful.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #8

I don’t use sweeteners, but the only thing in that list for me would be the oil. I actually had to cut my fat intake in half and am feeling fine now, but it hasn’t been a completely smooth 17 weeks. Yeah, I’ve been whining about that same problem for the longest time but feel like I have finally solved the problem, and now am feeling really good. I hope yours goes away soon. Keep us posted.

(Brandy) #9

So- whenever I do and extended fast, I get diarrhea at the 36 hour mark. Every. Single. Time.

It usually lasts for about 24 hours, regardless of whether or not I break my fast during that time period.

This has been the case for the last 6 months and doesnt seem to be resolving. It doesn’t make me feel unwell however so I don’t worry about it. I think of it as my fat shooting out of my body. This is probably wrong. I’m terribly undereducated about how all that works and not at all curious so there you have it. I however, am not spotting children or in any other potentially embarrassing situation- I might be more worried than I am if I were. Good luck!!

(Debi) #10

Yes Dave, intermittent, not extended. OOoh 96hrs…amazing. I have read about EF and how your digestive system hits complete rest. Have you seen the documentary ( I am expecting probably) on Amazon or Netflix ( cant remember the name righ tnow - but it follows a “spa” in Russia where people do 21 day fasts under Dr supervision"…it was fascinating. I broke my fast this morning with a wheat grass juice powder. But did have one of those yesterday…just not as my first food of the day. Maybe tomorrow I will move it to after breakfast.

(Debi) #11

Regine - noted. I will decrease the OO dressing and see if that helps :slight_smile: Just curious how many grams of fat a day are you finding is working for you?

(Debi) #12

Thanks for your thoughts Wahinewanders. :slight_smile: Yes, this has no discomfort, but yeah, I cant be running to the bathroom every 2 - 10 minutes for a kids class. That will not work at all. So far timing has been a blessing, but YIKES, what if?!?!? lol

(Empress of the Unexpected) #13

Around 70. I know that will appear shockingly low to many here but it works for me. Also, I do fine on the real food, not the oil. Avocados are fine but not avocado oil. Olives, not olive oil. For a dressing I usually use blue cheese. And I love nuts.

Actually, I happened to learn of Keto after the wife and I watching the Netflix documentary, “The Magic Pill”. I found it very interesting, well made and I actually went full Keto the very next day. Haven’t had any cheats, or really any issues since starting. And never looked back. … Even for those you already know about the Ketogenic Lifestyle, it is still a good show to watch.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #15

And again, this is just me. When I started I wasn’t using a tracking app. Before keto I loved cheese, nuts, bacon, avocado. You can see the fat adding up there… So without a tracker, I was following the “eat more fat” mantra, and doing (what my body told me at the time were crazy things) like drinking cream by the glass and eating sour cream out of a tub. On top of all the usual fats. It’s been a learning process for me. Your diet seems way better than mine was - but try cutting the olive oil and let me know how it goes.

Holy armogedon,

Go look in the mirror and stick out you tongue - your tongue is white not pink.

The body is reacting to a lack of its desired nutrients to support the flora in your gut… this is basic… and this to shall pass (literally) over time. As one type of flora dies off and provokes a reaction, another type,of flora takes hold and ready’s For battle with your new intake. Broad changes in repetitive intake result in broad changes in flora required to digest and break down the now intake - yet in so many case the older flora has significant entrenchements and attachments and deep rooted associations.

Your tongue, it is white…

(Debi) #17

Yep, will drop the OO and see how tomorrow goes…although as thing “sit” ( ha see what I did there) now…my intestines have to be close to colonoscopy clean I dont think pooping tomorrow will be possible!!! Although who knows what wonders and adventures await tomorrow?! LOL Tomorrow I dont coach, Saturday however 7 full hrs in the gym AND ONLY TWO TOILET STALLS!!! :):stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::roll_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth:

The reality is, Keto requires less flora and therefore your body is cleaner of the expeleation of the flora. Hold on to your toes and give nature a few days.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #19

:scream:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #20

I know the colonoscopy clean feeling. Pre keto, (well, pre common sense) I used to willingly do it to myself with hot chilis. My daughter and husband could eat chilis by the handful with no ill effects. I have since learned that some people have “special” chili heat receptors in their guts. How did I get so lucky - I love chilis, the hotter the better.