Will the fear-mongering ever stop?

(Murphy Kismet) #1

“Keto is not easy to maintain, it’s not a palatable diet,” says Andrea Giancoli, a dietician and nutrition consultant in California. Getting 80-90 percent of your calories from fat—which is what’s generally required for keto—is actually difficult. It involves eating a lot of rich, heavy foods with little variety—think fatty meats and gravy on cauliflower.

I could quote the entire thing, but why…?

It’s so chock-full of falacies, it’s painful.

But the really scary part is that people are going to read this article and believe it. It saddens me so much to read shite like this.

Funny thing I'm seeing with Keto articles

I love this stuff, the more it’s bashed the more people google around to see what this is to begin with, then all you’re going to find is bazillions of people that have lost massive weight and that’s all many care about… BOOM more keto’rs. Like telling a teenager not to do something!

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #3

“ If it’s not hard, you’re probably not doing it right.”

Weird as I’ve lost 70 lbs in 8 months but surely I’m not doing it right :joy:

(Murphy Kismet) #4

That would be nice to hear someone who did that! :slight_smile:
One can only hope…

(Murphy Kismet) #5

Well it’s not a long-term sustainable diet donchya know! lol
When you’re “done” your diet, ALL that weight’s gonna come back with a vengeance. And while mildly true, if carbs are reintroduced at the rate they were consumed pre-keto… um YEAH the weight’s gonna pile on again hel-LO!

Screw the cauliflower. Gravy is also a waste of time. OK, maybe some butter as gravy…

(Jane) #7

She’s a former news producer for CNN.

Self-promoter hitting on popular trends.

Meh.

(Paul H) #8

That explains it…

(Scott) #9

Its always difficult, restrictive and not sustainable. That is how I would describe calorie deficit. Keto is the easiest most natural thing I have done. I maintain or lose weight effortlessly. The only thing that is difficult is to gain weight. Go drink the kool aid but be warned it has carbs. :laughing:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #10

Will the fear-mongering ever stop?

Short answer: No it won't.

Longer answer: There are too many vested interests at stake to let it go.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #11

The same thing happened to Atkins. Mostly I remember all the bad publicity about cholesterol, liver and kidney damage. Apparently it didn’t hurt the numbers of people trying it. And it’s still here. And nobody seems to talk about how bad Atkins is because there’s a new bad boy in school.

The article is pointing to the epilepsy therapy original keto diet and basing everything on that. 80-90% fat? Why would people without epilepsy adopt such a crazy way to do keto. It’s like they focus on fat and not so much on low carb. Completely ignorant.

:cowboy_hat_face:

(mole person) #12

Actually the longer I’m in maintenance the more I find that around 80% calories from fat is exactly where my body hums along the best. I see this reported by lots of other people as well so it’s not really that crazy at all. I do think that it’s more of a maintenance version of keto though, since prior to that people are still supplementing fat from body stores.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #13

Will fear mongering ever stop? NO. It’s how you get someone to click on something and manipulate them into buying a product. It’s the language of advertising and sales.

Some of the biggest laughs in my family was making fun of commercials with my son as he was growing up and picking apart click bait. Adding on to sentences, restating what they were saying to tell the truth.

(Jane) #14

No, it’s smart if you are a tireless self-promoter!

Saturated fat is still evil in most people’s eyes after 50 years of it being repeated so many times.

And carbs are yummy, addictive and most people’s favorite foods so easy to push someone’s buttons when talking about taking away something they enjoy.

(traci simpson) #15

My co-worker baulked when he asked what I had for lunch and I said RIBS! you should have seen the horror on his face!

(Karim Wassef) #16

Next time, say ribs and bacon

(traci simpson) #17

Right?! I was at my sisters house on Memorial day and we had burgers etc. I had three patties and two hot dogs and she was like “I’ve never seen a person eat so much meat” I know what she was implying but I appreciate her not food shaming me. I had her IF’ng for two days and she was like, nope, not for me. I need my carbs!! LOL I don’t say anything to her, I just let he be because I don’t want her saying anything to me. I want my results to say it all for me.

(Scott) #18

I get odd looks when I order a bacon cheeseburger with extra bacon, no bun and mayo on the side. When they bring the fries because I forget to tell them to hold them I just let them sit there. You can see it in their eyes "this guy eats weird.

(traci simpson) #19

I’m really starting to like it when people do that!!! LOL

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #20

Yep, I’ll order a nice fatty burger with a side of broccoli and not eat the bun, and I’m sure they are always thinking “ma’am the broccoli will not save you” :joy: