Wife and I are on Day 22

(George Anderson) #1

Greetings everyone! I searched for a non-Reddit Keto forum and found this place. I hope to share tips and recipes, and get advice from time to time.

A little history - My wife has Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, MS, Lupus, and Rheumatoid Arthritis. I have Diabetes, Anxiety, High Blood Pressure, and Fast Heart Rate.

Before Keto I took my blood sugar, my average was 221 before breakfast. My wife has had knee and back pain pretty much for years, every day. My starting weight was 340. My wife’s Starting weight was 403.

Today is day 22 of our Keto journey. I have lost 18 pounds, my wife has lost about 20. I have a shirt I bought from eBay that was a 3x but tight on me. I can finally fit in it. My pants are a little looser so I had to tighten my belt. My Blood Sugar as of two days ago was 166. My wife has not had knee or back pain for 2 days. We go on walks 3 times a day and are considering joining a gym next month.

We eat very well. We both love avocado and cauliflower. We eat lots of protein.

BUT

One food eludes us, and I hope someone or some people can help us out. We bought a deep fryer and 4 pounds of lard. We tried fried chicken. Twice. We used almond flour and egg wash for coating. The first time we did the egg wash then the almond flour, then the egg wash again. The flour just fell off in the oil and burned. The second time we tried the flour first, then the egg wash, then flour, Same thing, the flour just fell off and burned. Are there any success stories with deep-frying chicken? What coating do YOU use. The almond flour just doesn’t work for us. We read somewhere that unflavored protein powder was a good alternative because it’s a fine consistency like flour. Any advice on deep frying foods would be helpful. Thank you for your time.

(Edith) #2

I haven’t deep fried them, but I’ve used ground up pork rinds on chicken tenders and then fried them up in a frying pan. They turn out pretty tasty. :yum:

And, welcome to the forum. You have found the best keto forum on the web.

Haven’t tried it yet, but @kyarn Tracy posted some chicken tenders, the other day, using Lupin flour.

Her instructions might help:

Or she might just show up and give you some advice. She’s pretty good about that.

(Susan) #4

Yes, indeed! I agree with Edith, and welcome from me as well. I have never fried anything personally since being on Keto, but the advice above seems terrific to me. Your wife and yourself are doing great so far; it is great to have you both here, and I wish you all the best in your new Keto lifestyle. It is awesome that you are doing this together!

If you like chicken wings you can deep fry them with no coating at all and just skin on. I use a mixture of pork rinds and parmesan when deep frying and often use mayo to make it stick. Keep experimenting and your will get there. Good luck to you two

(Robin) #6

Hmmm… I think I would switch to skillet frying or skip the coating and just season after frying. Some things just can’t be perfectly duplicated. I now get baked chicken thighs hot from the deli and love it. What may feel like an emotional sacrifice at first, will get better over time. Like any addiction. Y’all are rocking it!

(Polly) #7

Welcome to the forum.

Today we have enjoyed crispy chicken wings done in an air fryer. Before putting in the fryer the wings were dried, then sprinkled with salt and pepper and rubbed with some toasted sesame oil. Sometimes I use goose grease or duck fat but sesame oil adds a good flavour as well as supposedly having some benefits.

I can thoroughly recommend this way of preparing chicken.

(Laurie) #8

Congratulations to you and to your wife! Keep it up–you’ll be glad you did.

Don’t know much about frying chicken. I used to dip pork cutlets in egg and then crushed pork rinds, and fry in about a quarter inch of grease in a pan. Delish. But probably not much help.

(Tracy) #9

I prefer to use egg white for the wash because it makes it crispier. If you are looking for lots of crunch, I think pork rinds are excellent. If you are looking for something that is very close to using a wheat flour for breading, I’d go with lupin/whey protein mixture. Almond flour has never worked for me. This guy uses pure protein powder and it looks pretty good. I have tried it yet.

(UsedToBeT2D) #10

Great progress! I would stick to pure/plain Keto foods for now, beef, pork, healthy greens, Try to break the fried food addiction. That is part of our problem, being accustomed to foods fried with flour and vegetable oil. Welcome to the forum. KCKO.

(Marianne) #11

Not exactly. Never tried “fried” chicken, but chicken wings come out okay in an air fryer. Certainly not the same as true fried, but you do get the crispy skin. Unfortunately, that is the only thing I use the air fryer for.

So glad you and your wife are liking keto! I have found it is a very livable way of eating and quite sustainable. The benefits besides weight loss are innumerable. The longer you are on it, the more your cravings for carbage will diminish.

(Marianne) #12

Great advice. There are so many delicious foods, concentrate on the decadent things that are keto friendly.

(Roberta Worley) #13

Welcome and congratulations to your progresses!

Just yesterday, we have decided to limit our chicken intake to chicken thighs and chicken legs. We will no longer be purchasing boneless/skinless chicken any longer. To use up what little we have on hand, we’ll be supplementing it with the boneless thigh meat we just bought before our recent understanding.

Why are we doing this? Well, the simplest of answers are that chicken doesn’t contain enough fat which my dearest had pointed out to me just last week and was confirmed by TwoFitDocs.

Just a week or so ago, I had these beautiful grilled lamb chops at our favorite East Indian restaurants. I have to learn how to make that because most restaurants use canola oil for frying. And since we don’t eat pork or shellfish, lard for us is ruled out.

(BuckRimfire) #14

If you have room in your kitchen and budget for another appliance, an air fryer would be worth a try. We got one a year ago, and have enjoyed making fish sticks with a coating of crushed pork rinds. I haven’t tried to duplicate fried chicken, but I bet thighs would work well.

But, you can get pretty similar results with an oven, I think, although it takes a few minutes longer and (in my estimation) heats up your kitchen more. (One advantage of the air fryer is that in the summer, you could move it outside, if you have that option.) Particularly an oven with a “convection” setting will brown stuff well. (which is the literal opposite of convection; that misnomer is one of my pet peeves.)

(Scott) #15

Not an answer to your fried chicken question but since both of you have diabetes you may want to check out Dr. Bernstein’s Diabetes Solution". It is a very interesting book.