Why did I buy this?

Not going wrong with chocolate bars!

(Aimee Moisa) #82

I know exactly why I bought the chia seeds but after trying them in a recipe once those things ain’t going in my mouth again, ever. I cant throw them away though, so they will just sit in my pantry until little bugs grow in them or we move, whichever comes first!

I use ACV whenever the recipe calls for vinegar of most types. I usually have it handy and cannot be bothered finding my others

Love Konjac noodles. Do you know how to cook them? I drain, rinse really well and then dry fry them, add sauce (spagetti, pesto and cheese) same as pasta and heat everything in a frying pan

(Bella) #84

Hi Saphire,

Yes, I used them in everyday - soups, stir-fry etc but I found them hard to eat and swallow sometimes.
However, since I didn’t want to throw them away I discovered they are great if you chop them finely and use them to pad out a meal such as Bolognese or chicken curry.

As for ACV still struggling with the smell but use it to wash the noodles:grin::grinning:

(Bella) #85

CHIA SEEDS :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::rage:

(Kristin) #86

@ladylyssa, lol, use them on a chia pet!! They’re the same seed.

(Natasha) #87

Sounds yummy, do you have a recipe?

(Alec) #88

I am going to revive this… what the hell did I buy this for??

(Diane) #89

Some baking recipes use whey protein powder or whey protein isolate (which is why I bought mine initially). They also happen to be the recipes I haven’t made repeatedly.

(Jody) #90

I have psyllium husk, grass fed collagen, grass fed gelatin. I don’t know what I was planning and that stuff isn’t cheap!

(Alec) #91

And it was a recipe that I read only recently, must have only been a week ago… forgotten where it is now… does keto make you forgetful?

('Jackie P') #92

I have a whole cupboard that I call my alchemist cupboard! So many things I never heard of before Keto. Coconut flour, almond flour, psylliym husk powder, nutritional yeast, xantham gum, milled chia seeds, flaxseeds, raw cocoa powder, unflavoured whey protein, mct oil, wheatgrass powder, every seed and nut! Made a couple of weird breads and biscuits and use a few bits here and there but mainly eat … just food really!

('Jackie P') #93

I bought that whey protein powder to make a tempura batter as seen on ketoforums. The fact that I have no ruddy deep fat fryer is a slight stumbling block!:no_mouth:

(Alec) #94

I think tempura batter may have been it!! Thank you!!

(Annette Grable) #95

Hi–I made a bread with whey isolate as one of the ingredients. Batter smelled mildly funny and so did the finished product. And it tasted funny. Not in a good way. Texture was fantastic, but that subtle taste from the whey? No good. Threw it out. Now I have a whole can of why isolate that I don’t want to bake with and I’m not sure how to consume it otherwise.

Has anyone had experience and therefore a tasty recipe that uses why isolate? Thanks in advance!

(Retta Stephenson) #96

@AnnetteG My hubby makes a low carb granola recipe that uses all kinds of nuts n seeds, and the whey protein isolate. If you are interested, I’ll dig it out. Just give a holler. :smile:

(Annette Grable) #97

I️ would appreciate that very much! Happy 2020!

(Retta Stephenson) #98

@AnnetteG, Here ya go:

I believe he adapted this from Maria Emmerich’s recipe, since it was called “Healthified Granola”.

He makes a big batch, flavors it 3 different ways, and stores it in the freezer in baggies. It’s a loosey goosey recipe, using what you have on hand, subbing wherever wanted.

Jim’s Granola

6 cups chopped pecans

1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts

1 1/2 cups slivered almonds

3 cups raw sunflower seeds

1 1/2 cups sesame seeds

5 cups plain or vanilla whey protein powder

(he uses plain NOW brand Whey Protein Isolate Protein Powder)

1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt

1 1/2 cups sweetener of choice (Swerve, Xylitol, Whey Low, or a mix of whatever you choose)

3/4 tsp stevia powder (we like NOW brand Better Stevia Organic Extract Powder, from https://pool.netrition.com/now_stevia_page.html)

(Note: he likes his granola on the sweeter side, so adjust to your tastes)

1/4 cup Nature’s Hollow Sugar Free Honey Substitute (mix into the warm coconut oil); is sweetened with xylitol; not as thick as real honey, but imparts a nice honey flavor

2 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled a little

Basic recipe also has:

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 cup Vanilla daVinci (sugar free syrup; if you don’t use this, omit and just use vanilla extract)

Some options for the 3 flavors:

1. BASIC recipe with the cinnamon and vanilla (above)

2. SPICY: 1 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice, or Nutmeg; and 1/4 cup Pumpkin Pie daVinci syrup, or omit and increase spices

3. CHERRY: 1/4 teaspoon LorAnn Butter Vanilla Bakery Emulsion (from Amazon);
    1/4 cup Cherry daVinci sf syrup (use to soak the fruit in to reconstitute it); and 1/4 chopped freeze dried cherry bits; we got ours from https://nuts.com/driedfruit/cherries/freeze-dried.html

4. PEACH: 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract; 1/4 cup Peach daVinci sf syrup (use to soak the fruit in to reconstitute it); 1/3 cup chopped up freeze dried peach bits, from https://nuts.com/driedfruit/peaches/freeze-dried.html

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.

• In a very large bowl, combine nuts, seeds, protein powder, sweetener and salt. Melt coconut oil, cool a little, then stir in artificial honey to the warm coconut oil (careful if have dogs, xylitol is very toxic to them; or leave out and use something else).

• Pour the oil/honey mix over the dry mix and stir evenly.

• If making different flavors, divide into 3 bowls, and add flavorings and fruit bits.

• Place on large cookie sheet with sides. Jim makes this in 3 separately flavored batches. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool. Then break into cluster. Store in airtight containers.

Can’t say for sure about the carbs, since it will vary by ingredients, but the original recipe said a 1/4 cup serving was about 3 carbs.

Note: Jim was willing to go low carb, but was missing cereal, and also missing fruit. So he chops up freeze dried no-sugar added fruits, and soaks them in matching sugar free daVinci syrups. The little bits give the flavor of having fruit in his granola. True, a purist would holler. But it’s a LOT better than what he used to eat, and he’s been able to stay off insulin shots and lower his A1c. :grin:

(Annette Grable) #99

Thank you. Fantastic! Can’t wait to jump in and try this.

Annette

(Andy) #102

I use either physyllium husk powder or xanthan for gluten-free baking.
Yes, I also find things in my food cabinet and wonder “why the heck did I buy this”?
Since I am an avid fan of Marie Kondo, at least I go thru my cabinet regularly and dump things that are past the best-to-use-before-date.

Cocoa butter is very good for skin care, especially in winter.

One weakness of mine is that I forget things that I have in my cabinet, and I buy them again (for example lentils).

I am new to this board and am just beginning to grasp what keto is about. Still have to learn a lot. So please be patient with me.