Why did I buy this?

(Diane) #61

Absolutely an acquired taste which I have no interest in acquiring. Personally, I found them bitter and unappealing.

(Brian) #62

I bought some a while back, too, that I still haven’t used for anything. I think I saw a recipe for type of keto pie, probably lemon meringue or something of that type of consistency, and the gelatin was an ingredient listed. It would thicken liquidy type things, I would think. Probably could be used for anything from ice cream to gravy, maybe even in some baking, not sure.

(Jacquelyn Graham) #63

Tennessee style pulled pork is a good use for ACV.

(Jacquelyn Graham) #64

I use it for matcha gummies. Recipe is on Nom Nom Paleo’s website.

(Alec) #65

I used my xanthum gum for the first time yesterday… made some keto gravy. Not so good. I had bought this months ago to thicken up gravy (I tnink), and I finally got round to making it. I simplified a recipe and it didn’t work so well.

Any favourite keto gravy recipes anyone?

(mags) #66

I use it for gravy occasionally. Add it to bone broth. It’s lovely flavour but the texture isn’t quite right. Bit gloopy but it’s great chucked on mashed Cauliflower… I try to convince myself that it’s tatoes and gravy :grinning:

(Sophie) #67

I saw a Chef John video on something, I forget what it was, but he used unflavored gelatin to make gravy. And that stuck with me. I haven’t tried yet…it’s on the list!

(Karen) #68

HahahHa. Ticking off all the weird things I’ve purchased and not.used that everyone is listing. Yep,
nutritional yeast ugh,
Xanthem gum,
Unflavored jello
Erithritol don’t care for itl
ACV I use so little
some high fat dressings I don’t like,
Soy noodles back in my gluten free days,
barley tea,was avoiding caffeine
check, check, check. I just don’t follow through on projects.

(mags) #69

Just remembered that pretend rice and noodles that I bought. Still sitting in a box that I haven’t even opened. I blame Richard and Carl. Those darn recipes sound so good.

(Alec) #70

Ok, let’s take this up a notch… what’s the oldest bit of keto food you’ve used in a keto recipe? What have you had in the cupboard for too long, but you used it anyway?

(LeeAnn Brooks) #71

Nutritional yeast. And I’ll provably never use it again.

(Alec) #72

What did you use it for? I’ve never gone well using yeast… I think I am allergic to certain types of yeast. :-):grin:

(LeeAnn Brooks) #73

Nutritional yeast is nothing like regular yeast. It’s used to create a cheesy flavor/texture for a non-dairy dish. I made Keto bacon quiche, with an almobd flour crust.

It tasted okay, but I kept thinking the whole time how much better it would have been with real cheese.

My first 4 weeks on Keto I was following a dairy free meal plan.

(Jane) #74

My favorite story with my Dad was back in the 70’s. Adele Davis was a nutritionist who was thought to be a “quack” because she recommended fats added to a diet along with whole wheat and grains.

I was 14 and decided to bake some bread. With brewers yeast.

Had no idea it wasn’t live yeast. My bread had a LOT of honey in it. It came out as a BRICK.

My Dad…being the good sport he was… sawed off a slice and managed to swallow it.

Said it would have made a good door stop!!!
:rofl:

(Doug) #75

Yeah, Jane, Adelle Davis was big in the 1960s and 1970s - we had one of her books, Let’s Eat Right to Keep Fit, and while it isn’t low-carb advice, there is a lot of good sense there, especially towards eating nutrient-dense foods and staying away from processed stuff, too much sugar and ‘junk food.’

(Jane) #76

I also remember her saying “which carrot… grown where?” And cited a study on the beta carotene levels of carrots grown in nutrient-rich soils vs nutrient-depleted.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #77

Keeping cows and free-range chickens is a great way to replenish the soil.

(Karen) #78

Just gave my edamame noodles to my gluten free niece. Yay! Made waffles with my waffle mix (,carby) for house guests, they finished one partially full syrup too. Score they were happy,and now I have more pantry space.

K

(Becky) #79

Oh my gosh! I am going to make this NOW!!!

(Becky) #80

Ooooh!!! This is a keeper! I modified to use up some pantry items that had been around too long…85% Lindt dark chocolate bars, overzealously purchased when found at a discount store for 1.00 each! Don’t ask how many I bought! Also gave me a chance to finally use the cute glass beaker style measuring cup and silicone molds bought from Ikea at least six months ago.

Modifications to bacon fat fudge:
1 3.5 oz bar Lindt 85% dark chocolate
1/2 cup bacon fat
1 tablespoon Sukrin confectionary sugar (erithyrol & stevia mix)
1/8 tsp sea salt
1 tsp vanilla

Drop all ingredients in glass measuring cup, nuke on low for 30 second intervals. Stir to melt chocolate, taste (repeatedly…lol), pour into molds…probably would have used both molds exactly…but somehow…yum regardless! Thanks for posting!