Whey

(David Cooke) #1

Anybody else making cheese? What do you do with the whey, too many carbs for me. Feed it to the plants? Seems a shame to pout it away.

(Allie) #2

When I strain the yogurt I make, the whey goes down the sink to be honest.

(Marius the butter craving dude) #3

I thought whey is protein rich… I mean all the gym products brag that they have whey.

(Jane) #4

According to this article on liquid whey

a cup of whey has 66 calories, 5% is carbs which is 3.3 calories which is slightly less than 1 gm carb per cup.

If that article is correct. Whey is mostly water so likely to be close.

Supposed to be good for plants but haven’t tried it yet.

(David Cooke) #5

Yes but 1 dl (3.5 oz, which isn’t very much) contains 5 gm of carbs.

(David Cooke) #6

Thanks. I get more than enough protein otherwise, it’s the carbs I am worrying about.

(Alec) #7

Yep, we make about 30,000 tonnes per year. What do we do with the whey? We dry it as whey powder and that is used as an ingredient and we sell it.

Oh, you meant DIY cheese, sorry… :joy::joy::joy:

Feed it to a pig. Eat the pig.

When I make mozza I give the whey to the dogs.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #10

It’s what we do with everything we don’t want to eat, they are living garbage disposals. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Jane) #11

Where did you find that carb value?

(Tony ) #12

I’m not sure whey is ‘That Bad’. I do bodybuilding, and the whey powder I buy ( in Australia, made in NZ, by Inc Nutrition ) claims that one serve of 35g contains 3g of carbs of which 2g is sugars. Protein is 26.2g.
The sugars seem low.
For bodybuilding and keto its a difficult balance between fat and proteins, that is, losing weight but building muscle at the same time.
( I can also easily get protein from canned salmon, which seems cheap here, but the whey is loaded with amino acids…)

(Jane) #13

Whey powder is concentrated and has nothing to do with the OP’s question of throwing out liquid whey from cheese making.

I still question the 5 gm carbs in liquid whey and wonder where that data came from.

(Tony ) #14

Whey powder is as you say, concentrated whey. The question in this post is what to do with whey from the cheese making process. It clearly can be made into a dietary supplement (but I didn’t think I would have to spell it out). Someone above has stated that the whey IS made comercially into whey powder. NZs dairy industry is a known big producer ( ref Fonterra ). Whey has some very beneficial components to it. My post was to link the fact that whey even as a concentrate can be high protein but at the same time be low carb. I mentioned this particular product as it comes with an extensive nutrition panel consisting of 26 items. One serve of this whey powder ( 35g ) contains 146 cals.

(David Cooke) #16

(Jane) #17

That’s powdered whey, not the liquid from making cheese.

(David Cooke) #18

So what is the constitution of whey?

(Jane) #19

I posted that. It is mostly water - 66 calories for a cup of whey from cheese making, of which less than 4 calories from carbs.

The powdered mixes you buy and mix with water is highly concentrated. Have you ever made cheese? Whey is a thin yellowish liquid you can see through. Nothing like the whey protein powders you mix with water.

(Ken) #20

Whey powder is the whey from cheese making, it’s just been dehydrated. It used to be considered a waste product, either being discarded or fed to livestock until they figured put there was a market for it. And yes, it takes lot’s of it to make the powder.

I don’t make cheese, but if I knew how and had (real) Whey in placed of my powdered stuff I’d be using it!