When should I have a blood test?

(Empress of the Unexpected) #1

I started on Keto three weeks ago. A year ago, for the first time ever, my triglycerides were up to 209. I’m a “normal” weight but have a lot of fat in my midsection. A lot. I know that relates to my triglycerides. How long should I wait to get another blood test. 3 months? Six months? There is no urgency at this point, and I have read on here that some blood factors go up at first. And I don’t want to give my doctor a heart attack. Especially since his recommendation was a low fat diet. Which caused me to gain weight.

(Ron) #2

It usually takes between 6/8 weeks to become fully fat adapted (sometimes longer) and I wouldn’t recommend even thinking about testing until well after that. The changes going on within the body will mess with the tests. The longer you are fat adapted the better chances of stable and accurate readings. I am in the same boat and am considering new tests at the 6 month mark, if this helps. (unless the general consensus suggest otherwise :thinking:)

(Empress of the Unexpected) #3

Thanks. My insurance only pays for one lipid panel a year (if there are no problems) so I don’t want to do it too early.

(Stacy Blanchard) #4

I think the test results will vary from one person to the next. I started this LCHF lifestyle by doing a 14 day fast. I did blood work on day 12 of my fast. My cholesterol dropped 150 points. I really don’t put that much stock on the results after studying Dave Feldman’s experiments, but the lab and doctor were beyond surprised.
So you could go in and have a big drop or it could go up. There are lots of resources your doc could read to re-evaluate his/her understanding.
I would recommend you learn about it and know what kind of test you should request and know how to prepare food wise before.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #5

Thanks. I’m mainly concerned with the triglycerides. Everything else is fine. And I know what you eat preceding that test has a lot to do with it.

(Ron) #6

This might be an interesting read if you haven’t already.

(Tammy Kidd) #7

Have you checked out www.cholesterolcode.com

(Empress of the Unexpected) #8

Thanks. What is odd is that I have high HDL along with the high triglycerides. Guess I’m different. Will be interested in seeing what happens to the HDL as well.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

What is your ratio of triglycerides to HDL? Anything under 2.0 is good if measured in milligrams and under 0.9, I believe, if in millimoles.

As for when to test, I would recommend waiting until at least six months on a ketogenic diet. If your trig/HDL ratio is still not good at that point, there are things you can do to manipulate the results. As Tammy suggests, check out Dave Feldman’s site, www.cholesterolcode.com.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #10

Sorry. Not a math whiz. How do I calculate the hdl/triglyceride ratio. All that’s on the report is the chol /hdlc ratio.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #11

Sorry. Found an online calculator. 3.43. Not great. But assuming my triglycerides will decrease in the near future. Will wait six months to get tested.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

You’re getting there. Just keto on and you’ll be fine. The next time you have blood tests, I’ll bet your numbers will be great.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #13

Yes, I am already penning that NSV in my mind.