What's the wine Carl talked about?

(Scott O) #1

I recall Carl talking about a wine he gets that 0 carbs. What was it???

Alcoholic drinks allowed on Keto?
(matt ) #2

adding @carl

I think it was lower carb but not zero.

alcohol inhibits lipolysis, always, forever and without exception, with or without carbs in it. the mechanism is 100% known.

alcohol (with or without carbs) is a toxin and your liver immediately mobilizes to metabolize it into more harmless metabolites. without going into details this biochemical cascade immediately halts lipolysis (and therefore ketone production).

short of inhaling donuts there is nothing more destructive to weightloss.

. if you are serious about losing weight/getting healthy you should reconcile yourself to this.

If you are serious about losing weight/gettting healthy you should respect other cultures and sacred traditions for starters, and get hip to the fact that most all the LCHF/keto physicians I know of enjoy or have enjoyed or bless small amounts of red wine with certain cuisine. Go ahead and ignore lots of facts if thatā€™s what you need/want to do for you - however, in my experience absolutist dogma can be quite toxic for oneā€™s health.

Actually the small amounts of alcohol in wine are not harmful, but health-giving for many folks - as borne out by history and subsequent twentieth-century scientific research. Small amounts of red wine (2-7 small glasses per week, depending on cuisine) deliver SRIT1 benefits as well as quercetin - and stimulates the release of the hormone gastrin, good for digestive enzymes - and can be a kind ally for body recomposition in those who have reversed fatty liver disease and those who donā€™t suffer from alcohol addiction. SIRT1 in adipose tissue is a key factor in maintaining the bodyā€™s energy balance and insulin sensitivity. There are other posts in this forum that go into moderate wine intake with lots of facts - just use the search bar and search ā€œwineā€. There are even people here who enjoy occasional mixed drinks!!!

Iā€™ve lost lots of inches on my keto journey and enjoyed red wine with Italian/French meals a couple times a week throughout, which Iā€™ve done long before keto, cos Iā€™m a FOODIE and a big fan of food-as-medicine.

The SRIT1 gene interaction with red wine has anti-aging benefits. The keto scholar Cristi Vlad goes into the fascinating historical viewpoints on red wine in his book Periodic Fasting: Repair your DNA, Grow Younger, and Learn to Appreciate your Food

Plenty of folks here on this forum enjoy low carb red wine with fatty foods, with great progress on body recomposition. The keto athlete Donal Oā€™Neill along with British cardiologist Aseem Maholtra MD explore the authentic mediterranean diet (as opposed to the heavy carb, fake food industry version) in the keto documentary The Big Fat Fix (promoted by the ketogenic MD Andreas Eenfeldt on the Diet Doctor webstie and elsewhere) and how wineā€™s digestive benefits compliment certain fatty foods and can - in moderation - be part of a tendency to ā€˜live a littleā€™ (as the French sayā€¦).

The classic little article Wine As Therapy has lots of content from the work of molecular biologist Stigs Erlander PhD who lived hale and hearty to his late 80s, and made and drank his own red wine of the traditional kind (very potent and kind of thick compared to todayā€™s modern wine - one would be hard pressed to manage to drink more than one goblet, so strong it was - and I was fortunate to purchase jugs of it from him back in the 1990s).

:grapes: :grapes: :grapes:

(Dean Stamford) #5

He didnā€™t ask ā€œHow can I be perfect?ā€
He asked the name of the wine. Rather than scold him, try answering the question x

(Jay AM) #6

While I agree that drinking isnā€™t an issue on keto (obviously within the context of not spending all day drinking.)

Jason is also right that alcohol stops fat burning for the time it is being processed. But, really, we make the decision whether we want the drink or not at the expense of a few hours of fat burning.

Thereā€™s a Limoncello, orange cello, and lime cello producer locally where Iā€™m from. I really want to try some when I take time off back home, mmm.

Maybe it was Carl who mentioned the brand Dry Farm Wines which might be what youā€™re looking for. (It was either him or someone else I listen to.)

(Jay AM) #7

Most people in this forum have been made aware of this fact in some way or another. Itā€™s a very common piece of information. But, whether someone decides that they would like to have that drink or not is up to them. Getting up in arms about it is an effort in futility. If you donā€™t drink, cocongratulations on making that decision for yourself.

Really we could argue that our 20g suggested carb limit is bad for health as all carbs raise insulin but, Iā€™m not going to lose it if someone eats some cauliflower.

Yep - Dr. Fung does a great job at stating the facts and supporting informed choices. For a number of folks here, a few hours without fat burning is no big deal - itā€™s not a 24/7 race - unless perhaps if one is morbidly obese or quite medicatedā€¦ or racing to ā€œcutā€ as a bodybuilder for a contest.

On the other hand, those of us who do resistance weight training or other intense practices may well find that the mitchondrial vitality phenomena is such that there is no detectable delay in fat burning with higher carbs or moderate wine!

A certain amount of randomness has definite benefits too - keeping the body guessing and avoiding ruts. I go for days at a time eating spicy Asian/Latin food without any desire for wine, but when I enjoy Italian/French food - the fermented grape is SO TASTY, and I love its digestive help and how it also helps me savor and enjoy life. I also enjoy purposefully going without red wine for weeks at a time, on retreats and such.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #9

Iā€™m going to add that, while fat adapted and having likely reversed my fatty liver, I get more buzz per ounce, but it clears faster. As your liver is given a break from processing large amounts of fructose on LCHF, I suspect thatā€™s the mechanism for the faster clearance. As the blood sugar is lower, along with the pressure and various other things, I think thatā€™s why the buzz is better.

(GINA ) #10

I donā€™t know what wine Carl talked about, but I keep getting ads for Fit Vine that say it is low sugar and other bad stuff. I tried some white and it is good.

no one is ā€˜up in armsā€™ about anything.

(Scott O) #12

Thanks for saying that. It gives me something to learn more about.

(Scott O) #13

Thanks for saying that. I now view reward foods in an entirely new light. My childhood ā€œEat everything on your plate and youā€™ll get dessert.ā€ has turned into ā€œIf you get under your goal weight and youā€™re doing lazy keto, then you can have a glass of wine with friend this weekend. And maybe a piece of cake if you donā€™t eat until late tomorrow.ā€

(Scott O) #14

Thanks. Iā€™ll check it out. I felt like I could drink a now sugar carb wine without a problem. Now Iā€™m not too sure. I should have gone back into the podcast archive and re-listened to exactly what he said.

(Scott O) #15

Thanks for having my back. :grinning::sunglasses: Itā€™s OK. I was being lazy by asking and not going back and listening to the podcast again. Since Iā€™m keto lazy right now, Iā€™m going to cut back to once every week or two or three.

(Lonnie Hedley) #16

@ScottO Iā€™ve had a couple bottles of Fit Vine. Not super into wine but they were a tasty treat.

(Tina Emmons) #17

Itā€™s a company called Dry Farm Wines. They are not a vintner but a collector of old vine, dry farmed wines from around the world. I tried and really liked some but not many. Itā€™s a subscription and runs about $20-ish per bottle. Has WAY less sugar than a store bought, like 1g residual sugar to a bottle as opposed to upwards of 300g in a conventional varietal. FitVine is also doing low sugar and is easier to get and you donā€™t have to commit to a subscription. This isnā€™t the greatest endorsement but if I had to choose no wine or Dry Farm, Dry Farm wins every time.

(Tina Emmons) #18

Forgot: all the other claims are true! Less alcohol content so you donā€™t get as tipsy, buzz is ā€œcleanā€ and zero hangover.

(Doug) #19

Tina, I was all set to be critical - many times wine clubs are really not worth it. However, Dry Farm ended up looking pretty good to me. If it really is ~$20 per bottle (or even a little more) and the shipping cost is not bad, then from what I see itā€™s a relatively good club.

On the Dry Farm website, the one winemaker currently mentioned is Eric Weber. The producer is Hofgut Falkenstein, in the Mosel region of Germany, noted for Riesling wines. If Dry Farm is presenting their dry or off-dry wines, then Iā€™m impressed.

(Jennifer) #20

He said Pinot Noir. I believe he said it has 3-4 carbs per serving.