What's the wine Carl talked about?

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #21

That must be a very low alcohol, sweet grape to produce 300g of residual sugar in a 750 ml bottle.

https://winefolly.com/review/sugar-in-wine-chart/

Dessert wines have as much as 220g/L, which works to 165g in a standard bottle, 82.5g in a 375ml half bottle, and about 21g per 3 oz pour (it’s a dessert wine).

Most wines that people drink tend to be between bone dry and dry, which works much more doable in a ketogenic level of carbs.

If you want to get very technical, you should learn to read a tech sheet:
https://winefolly.com/review/understanding-wine-tech-sheets/
To really understand the residual sugar in wines.

What you’re getting from Dry Farm is someone who is reading tech sheets, running unnecessary lab tests, and essentially functioning as a marketer/concierge. That’s not a bad thing.

But, here’s some interesting stuff:
https://dryfarmwines.helpdocs.io/article/tvwtumnbqc-how-many-calories-are-in-your-wines

While a typical domestic wine can get up to 18% alcohol by volume, we don’t accept levels about 12.5%. And, we carry a range of wines as low as 9.5%.

18% domestic wine is hardly typical. Typical BIG Napa Cabs top around 16%, though I’m sure you could find a few at 18%. Most Cali reds top around the same 12.5% to 13%, and most rose’ are low alcohol down where their low alcohol wines are.

I don’t think this is snake oil. I think it’s a worthwhile service. I have found several other shadings of the truth in their FAQ, and yet, I don’t think that necessarily diminishes the value of the service.

Last thing, while the 1g/L is a nice statement to make, I suspect, for my palate, this will not balance properly. Low but non-zero levels of RS are key to balancing the acidity, the alcohol, the whole flavor of the wine. I’m not sweating it if they get up to even 38g/L, which works to ~5 per pour, assuming 6 pours per 750 ml (4.25 oz). And very few wines I drink get that high.

Full disclosure, I’m a minor wine geek and planning a trip in November to Sonoma, where we will visit a few wineries, including maybe a couple that dry farm. Dry farming is probably the future in California, with the climate change.

(Vicki Ann barbaria) #22

So I received nutritional value from Cavit Winery. I wish I could upload the PDF file but since I’m newer they won’t allow me. This is a general information that I received from them and it looks like it’s fairly low. I emailed them and had a response that had the basic information from Below, they also gave me sugar levels and other things but this isn’t a diagram that again I cannot upload.

Cavit wine Nutritional Information

*based on a 5 oz serving

Total Calories

Total Carbs (g)

Pinot Grigio

Calories 104. Carbs 0.6

Chardonnay

Calories 106 carbs 0.6

Cabernet Sauvignon

Calories 106. Carbs. 0.6

Pinot Noir

Calories 105. Carbs 0.9

(KJB) #23

Pino Grigio is a good one too

Be careful with pinot grigio. Italian pinot grigio is about 3-6 g sugar per bottle. American pinots can be upwards of 20g/bottle, especially the cheaper varieties (ie. woodbridge(23), barefoot, ecco domani(21))

I just wanted to add that it is fairly easy to figure out how much residual sugar is in a bottle of wine (whether natural, or in the above cases, added to the finished wine by the winery). I usually google residual sugars in a specific bottle of wine. It will be in one of 3 forms:

1: g/L grams per liter, in which case you multiply by .75 to get total in one 750ml bottle
2. g/100 ml, multiply times 10 and then multiply by .75 to get total in one 750ml bottle
3. %, move the decimal over one space to the right to get total per bottle

I was so excited to find out about Dry Farm wines, until I realized I can walk into my liquor store and ask them which wines are organic and do the rest of the legwork myself. Saving myself about 10 dollars a bottle in the process.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #25

To be fair, dry farming is not necessarily organic farming and organic farms are not necessarily dry farmed. I would guess that most wineries that dry farm are beyond organic standards in many ways (like the use of cover crops), but maybe don’t pursue the designation.

Wine can be as delightfully complicated or as simple and unfussy as you like.

Dry Farm Wines is a company that sells wine to people doing a keto/lchf WOE. They sell organic “low-carb” wines in 6 packs at @25 a bottle.(retail on the bottles is @$8-15)