What workout are you currently doing?

(Brenda Running Sauder) #41

I started doing Charlie mike 8 weeks ago. Great free workout app from bodybuilding.com most my body has changed in 3 years :grinning::grinning::grinning:

(Kellyn ) #42

I started the 15 day body fit challenge Monday. Iā€™ve done it before a few times and have always seen excellent results from it. Itā€™s on YouTube and only takes about 20 minutes or less. Itā€™s a HIT workout with weights. I do it when I get up in the morning so that my workout is done for the day and I donā€™t have to spend any less time with my family in the evening. Itā€™s hard, but there are modifications.

For years I have been very active but only cardio workouts. I commute either by bicycle or on foot, 10+ miles per day total (5+ each way), five days per week at least. Sometimes I jog (between 10-11 minute miles), sometimes I walk (around 18-20 minute miles). Sometimes I ride my own bike the whole way, or sometimes I walk or jog halfway, then hop on the city ā€œbike shareā€ bicycle for the second half.

I have not really ever been into resistance or strength training, but I would like to be. In the last six weeks I have taken up push-ups. When I started, I would do ten at a time. I slowly increased that and now can do up to 25 at a time. For the last couple weeks I have been doing 50-75 per day in various sets throughout the day, with the occasional rest day.

Iā€™d like to learn more about other good exercises to do. Anyone have advice on a good place to start, to expand beyond just push-ups?

Thanks!

Hi Kellyn, how did your 15 day body fit challenge go? What sort of weights does it require? I just have a couple 8.5 pound dumbbells that have been sitting around my house for years. Would those work? Thanks!

(Kellyn ) #45

Hi Nalien2000, Iā€™ve lost 15 inches over my body and 12 pounds in 3 weeks. The program lasts 15 days so Iā€™ve started over. I can tell I am getting stronger, because the workouts are a little easier. I have 5, 8, and 10 pound weights, but 8.5 pound weights are good. You also use an exercise ball, but can modify the workouts that use the ball. If you try it, let me know what you think. I just know this works for me.

(Jamie Hayes) #46

Push ups are a great compound (multiple joint) exercise, that mainly works the triceps (back of arms), anterior deltoid (front of shoulder), pectorals (chest) and abdominals. They are an upper-body ā€œpushing exerciseā€.

It would be a good idea to balance this our with an upper-body ā€œpulling exerciseā€ to work the opposing (antagonist) muscles: biceps (front of arms), posterior deltoid (back of shoulders) and trapezius (pulling those shoulder blades back). Think of exercises like chin-ups, or modified pull-ups with a lower bar and your legs out under the bar. You could buy (or make) a TRX device that enables a large range of pushing and pulling exercises.

Another great addition can be a soft medicine ball that you can use to do a ā€œClean and Pressā€ multiple times. It brings into play the legs, buttocks, lower back shoulders and arms. I was lucky to stumble upon a 12 kg ball at Aldi supermarket. I started with 10 reps, and built up to 20. My son visited and did 50. I built up to 70. Then he did 100, then 110. Iā€™m now up to 160 straight. You could mix this with 10 of these and your push ups. Then repeat. I went looking for an example on Youtube and could not find it, so recorded a quick video. https://vimeo.com/243403899

Just aim for balance!

Thanks for the feedback! I will try to find a pulling exercise to do along with push-ups (hit a new record of 35 at once yesterday). Maybe I can use my 8.5 pound weights in a similar fashion to how you use the medicine ball in the video.

(Adam Kirby) #48

Currently doing Paralettes 1 from GMB. Prominently pushing exercises so I supplement with front lever work.

(Dean) #49

So I started doing 5+5 about a month and a half ago, I have been low carb/ keto for couple years, some of the suggestions I have read on this train is to up your calories to gain strength, Iā€™m hesitant to do so if Iā€™m not hungry but yet I still want to gain strength, how did you approach this?

(G. Andrew Duthie) #50

I didnā€™t worry about it, frankly. If Iā€™m not fasting, my goal is to eat when Iā€™m hungry, and I operate on the assumption that my body is smartā€¦if it needs more raw materials, my appetite should reflect that.

(Dean) #51

Thatā€™s a good way to look at it, i am 51 years old and have always did some exercising in my life but these 5+5 workouts is the first time I can actually see some gains, I guess I got to reading to much stuff in the carb eater arena and was getting a bit confused, I even enjoy lifting while fasted sometimes and I feel great. Thanks

(Mel Soule) #52

So true. Same routine here except on Mondays, then an hour walking/aerobics in the pool. Want the mild hypothermia from the pool. Walk the pool for an hour on Weds and Fri for a weekly total of 2+ miles. Started this routine August 1 and strength gains have been startling. Ketoversary is 2/18/2018 (30% body weight loss and 29% waist line loss since start) and looking to move current average daily step count from 6,000 to 10,000 by 5/18/2018. While still maintaining the once a week gym visit. Starring in Father of the Bride in August.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #53

Yep. Not sure if youā€™re already aware, but a nice benefit of fasting is higher HGH, which likely helps with workout recovery.

Iā€™ve seen some nice changes in body composition over the last week and a half when Iā€™ve done some EF (6 days fasted last week) and fasted workouts. Seems like Iā€™ve dropped some significant fat from my thighs, even while continuing to build muscle.

(Mel Soule) #54

IMHO doing any exercise while still fasting is an amplified benefit. Even with my daily intermittent window of 18-20 hours. I try to time the exercise after that 12 hours mark while fasting since that is the onset of ketosis and fat burning shifts from linear to exponential at that point as Cahill showed 40 years ago. A great way to exercise my fat burning muscle.

During my two previous Zornfasts I did both the pool walks and leg machines during 84 hour extended fasts. During my October Zornfast I started to feel a little cold on day two and decided to try walking for a mile. Solved the problem. So during my November Zornfast I walked every day and did the weight machines on my last day. No cold feeling at all and my lifts felt better and I could extend the time to fatigue by 10 to 15 seconds. My recovery time felt much shorter that week.

That has made me a believer in using that HGH rise to build on.

(Justin Jordan) #55

Weightwise

(Not including warm up sets)

Workout A

Squats 3 x 5
Pullups 3 x 5
Bench 3 x 5
Pendlay Rows 3 x 5

Workout B

Squats 3 x 5
Pullups 3 x 5
Press 3 x 5
Trap bar Deadlift 1 x 5

Alternating MWF

In theory I also go for a two mile walks five days a week, but winter has made that mostly theoretical.

(Dean) #56

I do pretty much the same but 5+5, Iā€™m just a month or so into this and have seen some good gains, I know it will slow once I get heavy so probably go to 3+5, generally I walk 4-5 miles a day during the work week at work.

(Dean) #57

Yeah Iā€™m going to be doing more fasted lifting over the next month or so , I have time off from work so I will be able to in the morning I really like the energy I get and usually does make hunger pass

(Shane Poynter) #58

Iā€™ve been keto for 2 1/2 months and using Stronglifts 5x5 for 6 weeks. I feel better than I have in years and wish I had found this lifestyle 15 years ago.

(jilliangordona) #60

I do circuit training twice per week and strength training twice per week. Just added circuit training back in, hoping itā€™ll help shred some fat

(Jesse Driskell) #61

How do you like the workout? Are you gaining strength and size?