What workout are you currently doing?

(Karl L) #62

Our local Y just started an ‘intro to power lifting’ small group class, using mostly the Stronglifts 5x5 protocol. Really looking forward to getting started!

(Chris McRoberts) #63

Training for the Murph. 1mile run, 100 pull ups, 200 push ups, 300 squats, 1 mile run . Doing it Memorial Day

(Shawn Cochran) #64

My brother gave me New Rules of Lifting last year at Christmas. So… one year later I’m finally putting it to use. In week 3 of the break in routine (2 workouts per week, 5 exercises per workout). I’m already looking at getting a bench and a squat rack as I can tell my selective weight dumbells (up to 50 lbs each) aren’t going to last long when doing squats/deadlifts.

(Adrian ) #65

Damn, I’m also doing PHAT and absolutely loving it.:grinning:

(Roy D Rushing Jr ) #66

I do a pretty standard bodybuilder split. I’ve always thought that my main enemy was going to be burning out on exercise to the point that I couldn’t drag myself into the weight room anymore. So my goals in a program were:

Must be quick - I need to be able to fit it into tight time frames to minimize the possibility that I miss a workout due to scheduling concerns. This also serves the psychological purpose of being able to talk myself into getting it over with on those days where I’m lacking motivation.

Must be as easy as possible - No superfluous movements. If a body part is getting adequately worked by one exercise, I don’t add a ton of additional exercises on top of that. For example, I have always felt that biceps are worked adequately by doing heavy rows, while triceps are adequately worked with heavy presses. I don’t need a ton of bicep/triceps isolation exercises on top of that when it comes time to work them directly. Therefor my “arms” day consists of four sets of straight bar curls and four sets of triceps extensions. That’s the entire day.

Must allow for advancement - This means that there must be some path for increasing weight and/or reps to continually gain strength and muscle. This is easy enough. The majority of my exercises are multi-joint compound movements, and we know that those are easy to increase weight on workout over workout.

My weeks look like this:

Day 1 - Legs - Squats, split squats - 4 sets of 6-8
Day 2 - Shoulders - Flies, shrugs - 3-4 sets of 10-12
Day 3 - Chest - Bench press, weighted dips - 4 sets of 8-12
Day 4 - Back - Deadlift, Bent over rows, dumbbell rows - 3-4 sets of 8-12
Day 5 - Arms - Straight bar curls, triceps extensions - 4 sets of 8-12
Day 6 - Make up day/cardio
Day 7 - Make up day/cardio

I change the order up from week to week depending on what I feel like doing or what I did the week before. The make up days are there in case I happen to miss one of the other workouts. If I’m on schedule I just do light cardio on those days.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #67

Minimal effective dosing.

Two pandiculations, one for back and one for quads.
Warm up: a minute of hot coal running in place
75 kettlebell swings.
Shower.
Two times a week.
I might add some planking to this.

Just getting back into the gym. I’m a gym ninja. In and out, with shower and change in half an hour.