What to do with this? - Coffee Flour

(No I'm not mad - that's just my face) #1

Anyone have any good ideas for this? The only thing that comes to mind right now is some sort of truffle. I saw “coffee” and 1 net carb and my reptile brain took over and threw it in my cart.

Anybody try Coffee Flour?
Cheddar Bay Biscuits by Zorn
(eat more) #2

i got excited until google said it didn’t taste like coffee :frowning:
seems like the few recipes i found were just using coffee flour with regular wheat flour…not a replacement
BUT…the good news is that if it’s at Trader Joe’s it’s only a matter of time before there’s more recipes that can be keto tweaked :joy:

Very interesting! This is the discarded part of the coffee bean. I’d like to try this product some day.

(Michelle) #4

First thing that came to mind is tiramisu. Bad, right? That’s the only other thing I’ve made with coffee beside just drinking it :grin:

(Dustin Cade) #5

i wonder how it would work in lieu of almond flour with fathead dough

(No I'm not mad - that's just my face) #6

Interesting idea @Bahrutile … for a dessert-y dough.

(Dustin Cade) #7

i’d be curious to see what kind of bread it would make, I’m not huge on the sweets.

(No I'm not mad - that's just my face) #8

Apparently it is highly absorbent like coconut flour.

big lol

I have never heard of this. Can it be used in baking and stuff? My reptile brain started shouting “coffee and walnut cake” but I guess that is not so great if it doesn’t actually taste like coffee!

Just found this article. Sounds like there is coffee flour and then there is coffee flour!

http://modernfarmer.com/2016/01/coffee-flour/

Intriguing. Just done a bit of surfing and it sounds like it would be like using coconut flour in the it is super dry and absorbent so you would be unlikely to be able to use it on its own. I would love to give it a go. Seems not to be available in this neck of the woods sadly.

(No I'm not mad - that's just my face) #10

I did take a taste. It does taste a bit like coffee to me, with a sort of dark, fruity finish.

Hmmm, a new coconut flour alternative would be welcomed, and I don’t hate the flavor of coffee as much as I hate the flavor of coconut (but sounds like this isn’t too strong on the coffee flavor anyway).If it ended up being a stand in replacement that could be used for all recipes, that would be a real boon. (As I understand, the differences with other 'flours" don’t allow for direct conversion, but maybe I’m wrong there).

could be great in cake then. want some!

(Carol E. ) #13

Interesting topic.

It seems like this may be an adjunct ingredient rather that a full replacement…at least initially. Perhaps use in recipes that call for coffee, substituting a portion of the nut/coconut flour with coffee flour.

1. Coffee Flour Lab in Seattle
    Erin Brannan, working with chef Jason Wilson, holds a pasta dish made with 17 percent coffee flour. (Steve Ringman/The Seattle Times)

2. So, you can bake with it?
    “I sampled test runs of bread, granola, and shortbread cookies designed to showcase how the gluten-free Coffee Flour changes the flavor and texture of food. In bread, the texture was denser and the flavor earthier. The flour amplified the cinnamon and chocolate in the granola. My own at-home experiment with chocolate chip cookies netted similar flavor results. The dried cherry, sweet tobacco and baking spice notes of the single origin Coffee Flour from Oaxaca in Mexico shifted this simple sugary pleasure to something intriguingly savory and sweet, despite only using two tablespoons of the flour (which means that the caffeine content was negligible as well).”

3. Chocolate Coffee Flour Muffins Recipe {Gluten-Free} - but needs to be ketofied

4. But does it taste good? A good article about a experiment with a sugar cookie recipe.

5. CoffeeFlour.com - 2 non keto recipes and tips

I saw that product at TJ’s yesterday. I was tempted by it too but then talked myself out of it on the grounds that I haven’t baked a single thing with all the alternative flours I’ve ambitiously collected and realistically, probably never will bake anything in the near future.

Doesn’t the blurb on the back of the package say it’s made from the coffee fruit that encases the bean, not the bean itself? That being the case, I wonder if it has the same caffeine content as the bean. Less, I would think.

(eat more) #15

so i tried this stuff…
the recipe called for two tablespoons of almond flour so i used:
1 1/2 T of almond flour
1/2 T of coffee flour

i am not a fan…too floral for me