What I've learned after 5 years, 80 pounds of fat loss and 20 pounds of muscle gain

(Susan) #301

Welcome to the forum, Yesago.

(John Linnon) #302

This is going into a bit of a different direction in the conversation, but I know I’m stupid with computers, and I still haven’t figured out how to make non-reply comments. Anyway- too much saturated fats in your diet can raise LDL cholesterol in the blood, which can increase the risk of heart disease and stroke. HDL cholesterol has a positive effect by taking cholesterol from parts of the body where there’s too much of it to the liver, where it’s disposed of. So I fear that these low carb diets, other than the initial few weeks for the weight loss, could be harmful. I think a balanced diet, with the four food groups, including lectin-reduced grains, and low amounts of saturated fat, are best. And naturally, no sugar or refined flours. It’s helped me, anyway. I only want to help, not cause fear.

(Jane) #303

I disagree with that statement. The LDL of the patients ending up in the hospital with a heart attack event does not correlate this.

Then I do not understand why you are here on a forum board dedicated to a ketogenic lifestyle. If you only plan to eat low carb for a couple of weeks then you don’t need support here for that and there is nothing here that would be helpful for you. And eating low carb for a couple of weeks is silly since you will gain the weight you lose from the low carb eating as soon as you add carbs back,

(Jane) #304

I know everyone is different but my n=1 is after a year on keto and replacing all seed oils with mostly saturated fats my LDL went from 122 to 114 so DROPPED. My HDL went from 88 to 130. I do not believe my keto diet high in saturated fats will cause me to develop heart disease. My triglycerides (a better correlation to heart disease) went from 94 to 73.

(John Linnon) #305

Btw- I haven’t gained the weight back since adding carbs back, I think because I’ve been eating sprouted and/or soaked, lectin reduced grains. I’m only trying to point out all sides, so people can judge for themselves where the truth lies. And it seems to me the general consensus is that saturated fats are bad. Wikipedia: Most medical, scientific, heart-health, governmental, and professional authorities agree that saturated fat is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease, including the World Health Organization,[1] the Food and Nutrition Board of the National Academy of Medicine,[2] the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics,[3] the Dietitians of Canada,[3] the Association of UK Dietitians,[4] the American Heart Association,[5] the British Heart Foundation,[6] the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada,[7] the World Heart Federation,[8] the British National Health Service,[9] the United States Food and Drug Administration,[10] and the European Food Safety Authority.[11] All of these organizations recommend restricting consumption of saturated fats to reduce that risk.
I’ve been getting complaints about my comments, even though I’m trying to look at all sides. So I’m ceasing my input. I think you should look at all sides, and do what your gut, (so to speak), tells you is best. Best of health to you and everybody.

(Jane) #306

But what about significantly increasing my consumption of saturated fats and my LDL went DOWN? Triglycerides went DOWN. HDL went UP.

Can’t argue with actual lab tests. Do you not agree that according to all the agencies you mentioned that my markers for heart disease IMPROVED by eating more saturated fats and fewer carbs?

(Michele) #311

Thank you ! This was helpful and inspiring.
Michele

(Paulene ) #312

And that is the core of the problem.

Suggest you get hold of a copy of The Big Fat Surprise by Nina Tiecholz or watch some of her youtube clips (or listen to 2Keto Dudes episode 20).

Here is a taster: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vM-vyDIidzM