What I've learned after 5 years, 80 pounds of fat loss and 20 pounds of muscle gain

(Leili) #332

I need help please.
I started keto 30 days ago combined with IF of 18 hours. Limiting my intake to 1-2 meals of healthy keto.
I eat 5-6 strawberries, 3-4 Square pieces of very dark chocolate, 200g protein, lots of veggies, I don’t eat cream or butter and just a little cheese, some peanuts and almonds and also sometimes 20g of oat bran I cook with water. Mainly just some oil. I also started taking mct oil in my coffee. I feel I’m bloating And not losing weight. I am a professional trainer, work out a lot. Run a lot. But I am still not showing keto on the keto strip test. I’m demotivated and don’t know what to do.

(Leili) #333

I need help please.
I started keto 30 days ago combined with IF of 18 hours. Limiting my intake to 1-2 meals of healthy keto.
I eat 5-6 strawberries, 3-4 Square pieces of very dark chocolate, 200g protein, lots of veggies, I don’t eat cream or butter and just a little cheese, some peanuts and almonds and also sometimes 20g of oat bran I cook with water. Mainly just some oil. I also started taking mct oil in my coffee. I feel I’m bloating And not losing weight. I am a professional trainer, work out a lot. Run a lot. But I am still not showing keto on the keto strip test. I’m demotivated and don’t know what to do.

(Jane) #334

How many grams of carbs are you eating a day?

(Susan) #335

Hi Leili, welcome to the forum.

If you keep your carbs at 20 grams or less, cut out the chocolate, peanuts, almonds, oat bran, and cut back on the vegetables then I am sure that you will start to see some loss =).

Keto is easy, 20 grams of carbs or less, lots of healthy fats and adequate protein, drink lots of water, and keep your electrolytes up, no sugar (and some of us even find we have to eliminate all sugar substitutes for weight loss as well).

Best wishes =), keeping the carbs as low as possible is the key to success.

(UsedToBeT2D) #337

200 grams of protein sounds way too much. I am 110 lbs lean body mass, and I limit to 80 g protein. Cut out all but the green leafy vegetables. Eat the cream and butter. Cut out the strawberries. Eat the cheese. Cut the oat bran. Eat more fat, less protein.

(LN) #338

When you are trying to induce you want only 20 grams of carbs, but you will always just want a maintenance level of protein. Our super helpful bodies will convert protein to carbs in a heartbeat, and the carbs from the metabolized proteins to right back into muscle and liver glycogen.

After you’re in nutritional ketosis, you can choose how many carbs you want between 20 and 100 grams. If you are doing the keto lifestyle for weight loss, once you get to your goal weight 100 grams of carbs a day is a maintenance level. You are still in ketosis, just not deep into ketosis. If you are fine with losing weight slower, you can increase your carbs somewhere between 20 and less than 100.

You don’t have to do this whole thing at once.

KCKO!

(Ashley ) #344

Thank you thank you thank you for writing this. I’m just starting my keto journey 8/11 and I’ve been searching things I can eat, what not to eat, etc. I saw at sprouts all these “keto” junk foods you mentioned and was thinking I’d try it out - not now! Without realizing YES I am a slave to the sugar, carbs, and that’s all that would be feeding. I am happy I joined this forum. :smile:

(Sean ) #345

A lot of great info and advice here!

(G V) #355

I’ve been eating once a day for over two months and I lost a lot of belly fat and over 30lbs feel amazing. I eat steak the size and thickness of the palm of my hand and 2 or 3 farm raise free range eggs, sometimes I include half of avocado. I fry my steak and eggs in real pig lard. Stopped eating carbs and sugars completely and Most important do not use or consume anything that has vegetable oil or shortening in it “poison”.

(Steak and iron) #359

spam. Get lost

Thank you so much for the useful tips! Looking forward to seeing what is possible!

(Robin) #371

Amen to all of that, especially for beginners. Great advice. I tracked everything that went into my mouth for a good six months, till I had it figured out.

(DARREN) #373

No 1 Is all well and good if you live on your own. But living with a Family of 3 teens and a wife that absolutely don’t want to join your new FAD diet, is hard work…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #374

All too true, alas!

(Bob M) #375

Not to mention, I could eat whatever I wanted as a teen. Though when I went into the military, I gained weight from eating too many snacks/sweets. Lost that quickly (unlike now).

@PaulL, I wanted to change your “to” to “too”, but couldn’t figure out how to do that. I thought I could do that?

(Alex Xander) #383

personally i didnt start seeing a change in my ketone levels until i dropped my carb intake to 5-7 carbs per meal. but i wasnt really taking this lifestyle serious until i started tracking my diet.

being honest and literally tracking everything is the KEY. so I guess,keeping track and looking at your results will eventually give you your preferred carb level.

(Alex Xander) #384

same here, but it took me two months. tracking your intake and testing your ketones is the key for me. i can tell when i have something thats not carb friendly for me. Ive personally found 5-7 carbs per meal(plus snack) is want keeps me in the keto zone.

(Denise) #402

This really is one of the best reads for anyone starting out with Keto, imo, or anyone wanting to do it. I did that exact thing about emptying my cupboards and fridge of all carbs/sugars, and that was a year ago come February. Easy, nope, but that God I did stick to it and my numbers (both on the scale, and HbA1c’s) kept coming down :wink:

(Matt) #413

Hate to say it, but I never counted or weighed anything but lost 105lbs in a year. I literally half assed it, but stuck with it with many cheat days. You are right, get through the first week or two and its smooth sailing, its real tough though, I ■■■■ my pants a few times and the carb hungers were real strong.

The real key is to eat real food, no bread, no sugar, no flour, no pasta or rice, no vegetable oils, no fake sugars, only keto sugars like stevia and monk fruit. Do not eat anything out of a box or package, to much chemicals in there. Go to the vegetable aisle, nuts aisle, eggs aisle, yogurt for low carb greek yogurt, cheese aisle and its easy as can be.

Chive on

(Jane) #415

My hubby and I can split up in the grocery store and I am always easy to find - he just circles the edges of the store until he finds me :smiley: