What is wrong with canola oil

(Juanita Macleod) #1

Continuing the discussion from CHEAT SHEET: Which Fats to Eat + Which to Leave:

Please what is the issue with canola (rapeseed oil)? I live in Scotland. The rapeseed oil I get is cold pressed. The label says it has a higher omega 3 to omega 6 ratio even than olive oil. For me it also has far fewer food miles than olive or avocado oil. And I like the taste of it in “easy mayo”. I don’t understand why it seems so vilified here- what info am I missing - thanks

(Ron) #2

Have you seen this thread?

(Katie Bobka) #3

Honestly, I can’t speak for the products in Scotland because for all I know the processing and food quality are superior to U.S. standards.

What I can offer you are 3 solid reasons why I steer clear of canola oil:

1. In 1995 Monsanto created a genetically modified version of canola oil. As of 2009, 90% of canola grown in the U.S. was genetically modified (I’m not sure of up to date stats, but I’m pretty sure the situation hasn’t improved with Monsanto still in the game).
  2. Wild rapeseed oil contains large amounts of erucic acid, which is known to cause health problems. Although canola oil sprung from rapeseed in order to lower the erucic acid, it still contains low-grade amounts.
  3. Canola oil is a refined oil that often undergoes partial hydrogenation in order to increase its stability. Refining involves stripping, bleaching and degumming— all of which involve high temperature or chemicals of questionable safety. And because canola oil is high in omega-3 fatty acids, which easily become rancid and foul-smelling when subjected to oxygen and high temperatures, it must be deodorized.

Bottom line, canola oil is an industrial oil and I prefer to reach for natural, unadulterated oils.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

(Juanita Macleod) #4

Thanks for the information- I will try and find out a bit more about the processing of the cold pressed version I get locally

(Juanita Macleod) #5

Thanks - lots of information in the links

(Sarah Sim) #6

I am picking up on an old thread here. I live in the UK and have recently noticed some very expensive cold pressed organic rapeseed oil. I was curious as it how it was produced and found this video on YouTube https://youtu.be/dwqc9ZHJ1-g

The sound quality is bad, but it appears the method is similiar to other seed oil production. The manager states that they use no chemicals and the process remains below 50C.

Am I right in thinking that if I am aiming for real food, rapeseed/canola oil even if cold pressed is not a real food if it is something I couldn’t do at home? I know if I gave some olives a squeeze with my hand I would get oil or grind some coconut I could get some oil, or shook some cream I would get butter. Okay the methods would not produce a lot, but some. I don’t see how I could produce the ‘cake’ that comes from rapeseed at home? So for me I think it is still one to avoid.

I found this site which states our rapeseed is not genetically modified. https://www.rapeseedoilbenefits.com/faqs/rapeseed-oil-gm-genetically-modified/ but you would have to check that it is grown in the UK.

As I have stood in the aisles of Aldi and Tesco looking at this organic cold pressed rapeseed oil, with its posh packaging, clever marketing and ridiculous price, my mind goes back to Sunny Delight, sold in the fridge section next to the freshly squeezed orange juice https://thetab.com/uk/2016/06/10/whatever-happened-sunny-delight-1810

I am sorry for the farmers, but I hope this hits the floor in the same way.

(Chris) #7

Seeds in general are not good for humans, that includes nuts and beans. Regardless of the processing process, it’s a net negative in my mind. Tallow does not go rancid when heated and is generally more nutritious for humans.