What is the proper way to start eating again after a short (48 hr) fast? I had diarrhea

I did my first 48 hour fast and it went really well. But, after I ate again, diarrhea! Had to take an anti-diarrheal. So, during fast had black coffee, water and a little table salt. After fast had a little pan fried broccoli, steamed spinach in butter and 2 eggs cooked in butter. Later I had a little bit of steak. Then boom!:persevere:
Was it the way I refuled after the fast?

Iā€™ve never had a fast longer than two days where I didnā€™t get the runs after breaking my fast. You can keep it minimal by starting with a small nibble and building up.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #3

Itā€™s quite common and happens to me a lot, even after a 24 hour fast.
Itā€™s getting to the point where if it doesnā€™t happen I wonder if something is wrong, hahaha.

(Karen) #4

Different people benefit from different foods after a fast. However most people do best with eating just a little bit and then waiting while her stomach wakes up before they try anything larger. I had a huge meal after one fast and regret it deeply

(Empress of the Unexpected) #5

I am having this problem with Keto. Itā€™s working, but if I go five hours without eating - stomach aches and diarrheaā€¦ So, no way I can fast. Once tried 16/8. Did not go well. Four hours after dinner - ouch!

(Ryan P) #6

Try some nuts, or ā€˜2 bitesā€™ of some food. Wait 30+ minutes, and then eat more (normal portion sizes). And, donā€™t fall into the trap of eating ā€˜all the things you missed while you were fastingā€™ :slight_smile:

(Allie) #7

Iā€™ve found that taking a digestive enzyme with my first meal after a fast stops any problems like this.

(Carolyn aka stokies) #8

Do you recommend any type specifically?

(Allie) #9

The one I take is made of ox bile. Itā€™s meant for humans but I actually bought it for my dog and steal one from time to time.

(Carolyn aka stokies) #10

I am a pet parent too- I totally get that LOL. Thanks for the info!

(Bob M) #11

I have not been able to fix this, and Iā€™ve been fasting (IF and longer) for the last 3.5 years. Itā€™s gotten better but has never gone away.

I just realize whatā€™s going to happen and deal with it.

(Allie) #12

Have you tried taking a digestive enzyme with your first meal @ctviggen? Itā€™s been a game changer for me, whatever I eat to break the fast.

(Bob M) #13

I have not. Iā€™ll give that a try the next time I fast. I have not fasted in a while, as I keep getting too cold when I fast. Iā€™m trying to up my calories.

(Allie) #14

I have this issue too so am taking a break from EF until at least spring now, still doing daily IF though.

(Bob M) #15

I also do daily IF, but Iā€™m only making it about 14-16 hours (from dinner one day until ā€œlunchā€ the next day). But I eat two meals a day. Iā€™m actually not hungry at all after lunch, for 8 hours or so.

Iā€™m going to try again next week or in a few weeks. I want to do another 4.5 day fast, to get that autophagy going again.

(Allie) #16

Good luck with that Bob :blush:
My fasts recently have been anything between just 13 hours and 44 hours, as soon as that cold feeling starts to bite I canā€™t keep going.

(Joanna Parszyk ) #17

Iā€™m doing 16:8 daily and occasionally few 24 h and few 48. Newer has this issue since l break my fast with those fuds:
Salted avocado, chia seed pudding, scrambled eggs with sour crĆØme. Plenty of salt and electrolytes in the mean time.

(Mike W.) #18

Nuts are very hard on a digestive system. Especially a fasted one. Theyā€™re not recommended.

(Alex) #19

check out this video. iā€™ve only done one extended fast before, which went for 72 hours, but i broke it by heating up a cup of bone broth and adding a tbsp of mct oil, a tbsp of apple cider vinegar and a tsp of lemon juice to it. my body felt SO GOOD almost immediately after i began drinking it, and it actually tasted really good too! about an hour after that, i ate pretty much the same things you mentioned: a couple eggs, half of an avocado and a spinach salad, and had no issues whatsoever digesting or releasing it lol. iā€™m currently in the midst of my second EF ever and am planning on breaking it the exact same way this time too :smiley: hope this helps!

(Raj Seth) #20

I used to have 2 heaping tablespoons of psyllium husk (husks, not powder), with 1/2 cup of water and found that I had no diarrhea issues

I have been doing very regular 3 day EFs (like 20-30 times this year), so by now I no longer have to do anything special - the body just slides from feasted to fasted and back seamlessly. Exercise that fasting musclešŸ˜€