What has been your rate of weight loss?

(Karen Thompson) #1

I know… its not all about the scale and everyone loses at a different rate, but

1. How much weight do you need to lose, and
    2, What has been your rate of weight loss during the 1st few months on keto?

My 1st 8 weeks:
week 1: - 4 lbs
week 2: - 2 lbs
week 3: no change
week 4: -1 lb
week 5: no change
week 6: - 2 lb
week 7: no change
week 8: no change

I need to lose 30 pounds. I’m a 48 yr old female. I usually eat 15-20 net carbs/day, 70 grams protein/day, and 120 grams fat/day. Calories are around 1600/day. I exercise 4 days a week. I check blood ketones occasionally and they are usually 0.3-0.6. As many others, I hoped to be a little farther along on my journey by now. I’m currently down to a weight that has been my “normal” for the last 20 years. I’m really hoping that my body does not get complacent and consider this a set point forever!

(Jane) #2

It took me over 6 months to lose 30 lbs! I am 60 so I have that working against me.

OTOH… I experienced so many other health benefits it was worth it!

(Running from stupidity) #3

Losing a pound a week for two months? Looks decent enough to me.

(Pri ) #4

Have lost 70 pounds in 4 months. I have hypothyroid also. Keto has been great :+1: to me. Have to loose last 15-20. Let’s see how that goes. I am 37 yo female started with 215 at 5’4” frame. Goal weight is 125.

(Mia) #5

I need to lose 37 more lbs. My rate of loss has mirrored yours, Karen. It is discouraging when the way I was eating before Keto had me losing my scheduled 3 lbs a week. But I am going to trust the system and keep at it - up my water intake and exercise with this fab weather. Maybe spring will give us both the break we are looking for.

Not sure about “non scale victories” yet, as I only measure once a month. Maybe your progress is on the good old measuring tape. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Ashley) #6

Some people lose weight quicker, some faster. It depends on how deranged your body is with years of abuse etc. How clean you eat can play into it. How much you have to lose etc. I’ve lost 50+lbs in 4 months but then have held out for the last 8 months. But I’ve been really not the cleanest eating which I know deters me. But I also have 100+ lbs I needed to lose. Also age can play a role. Sometimes to much dairy can stall weight loss as Carl has found out on the podcast. If your body has come complacent mix it up. Try less dairy, or anything like that. Try fasting into the mix. Maybe your body would do good with one meal a day? Maybe extended fasting can help. You really have to play around with it and find out what works for you. Everyone’s different and this is a lifestyle change. You have plenty of time to take it step by step and figure out what makes your body work best for you! Good luck and KCKO.

(Karen) #7

You are older you may have had that weight longer.
You are also a female so you have to contend with your hormones.
Everybody’s right when they say change it up.
Try carnivore

(Jennibc) #8

I have taken off 41 pounds in the past year and a week. I am now 52. I had about 60 I wanted to take off but really 55 I needed to take off. It’s been slow. The most loss I have had in a single month was 10.3 followed by a month where I had nothing. If you do the math, I’ve averaged .77-.78 a week. So not even a pound a week. But you know what? Next year is going to get here anyway, so why not be forty pounds less? My total loss since I started trying different things is 108 but this past 41 has been the most consistent and quickest. So I see the 41 in 53 weeks as a triumph where as I see other people on this board complaining about how slow their faster than my weight loss is. So I think it all has to do with one’s perspective.

(Karen) #9

Jenn, give our friend here and example of your daily meals. Any IF or EF that you are doing, or how examples of how you change it up.

(Ethan) #10

I started about 15 pounds more than shown in the graphic here, but I lost all my weight nearly immediately. It has been stable since for 15 months, but actually seems to be dropping again (first time I continued to lose weight AFTER a fast finished) now that I am on hardcore Carnivore.

(Jennibc) #11

Okay, so a typical day is:
I get up and either have an Americano or black tea with heavy cream - about three to four tablespoons in all. I don’t actually EAT anything until about 11 or 12. Some people would call that IF others would argue with the heavy cream it’s not really. But I don’t care, I am not purist and I enjoy cream in my coffee!

Around 11/12 - Today I will eat 85gs of Power greens, sliced hard boiled egg, 1/2 can of wild caught pink salmon,1/2 an avocado (about 65 gs typically) and 3 tablespoons of homemade EVOO vinaigrette. I make all my own salad dressing so no added sugar and no seed oils. Other days I have a two egg scramble with bacon and half an avocado, or pork rind nachos - 28 gs porkrinds, 28 gs cheddar cheese, 65 gs homemade guac, 30 gs sour cream, 28 gs salsa along with a hard boiled egg. Those days I’ll make a powergreens smootie with two cups of power greens, ice water, and a couple of TBS of lemon juice (it’s an acquired taste for sure!) Every day I shoot for at least one egg, two cups of power greens (kale, chard, spinach) and half an avocado in some form.

Dinner - tonight we will have pulled pork made in the crock pot (with a ‘bbq sauce’ added into the crock pot of dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, chili powder, and liquid smoke) and chopped broccoli salad with homemade ranch dressing. The brocolli salad include cucumbers, celery, red onion, and red and green bell peppers.
Another sample dinner would be a NY steak cooked in red wine and butter served with brussel sprouts roasted in avocado oil. Or we do a thai curry (no added sugar) over cauliflower rice.

A couple of times a week I will have about 80 grams of cherries in about 60 grams of full fat plain greek yogurt right after dinner as a sweet treat. Also I WAS having alcohol a couple of times a week (either zero carb spirits with club soda or a glass of wine) but then my weight loss stalled and I realized that was probably getting in the way so I am alcohol free for the time being. Sometimes while I am prepping dinner, if I am starving, I’ll have 28 g’s of either macadamia nuts or pecans. I used to have those mid afternoon, but after reading the Obesity Code six weeks ago I try to go 4-5 hours in between lunch and dinner.

So essentially, I eat very little fruit on occasion, about 4 standard size servings of vegetables a day with two being leafy greens, an egg, avocado, and protein twice a day and plenty of fat.

My weight loss has been pretty slow. I wasn’t originally trying keto/lchf, but in the year since i began, I have dropped about 35 lbs. I have tried various tweaks, such as more calories, less calories, more/less protein, IF, and a few EF. My latest tweak is heavy resistance training, which has added some tonnage back on. Things are tightening up, but I’m not sure it is the way to go. I’m mid 60’s, and the Olympia or showing off my “guns” at the senior center aren’t in my future. I just want to reverse my diabetes,…oh!! and I don’t want the bullys kicking sand in my face at the beach!! bahahahahaha!

My weight loss has been turtle slow! I lost 20 lbs right away in the first 3 weeks and then 2 months and a week went by and I fluctuate within 2-4 lbs. no movement. Sadly I track everything on an app to a T and measure out my food. I even upped my calories slightly to make sure I was eating as I should be. Nothing gives. Sadly everyone is different.

If you stop losing, I’d get your rmr tested and try an endocrinologist. I’m thinking my problem might be complex or hormonal or as simple as eliminating dairy. I’d recommend the process of elimination. If you stall so bad that not much is happening then you try one thing at a time to rule out every possible conclusion.

(Scott) #14

I am in the same boat . I am 6:3”and started in late Jan at 321. By the beginning of March I was 290.Since then have lost 2lbs. According to my garmin watch I am burning around 3300 cslsries a day ( including working out ) . My calories. Consumers are around 1700-1800 a day. Never more than 17g or carbs usually around 12-13.peotein get a little higher than I like but below my macro calculator

I started Keto about 4.5 weeks ago, I have about 75lbs to lose (and that’s with a generous goal weight) - I have barely lost 5 lbs - didn’t even experience a big initial loss of water weight. Female, 38yrs old, history that points to insulin resistance but never met threshold for T2D…hoping all the encouragement to others about weight loss picking up once fat adapted are true. I have no cheat foods, carbs always under 20, electrolytes and water intake all good now. Pluses are blood sugar and hunger seem to be very stable, which one would imagine would manifest into weight loss of more than 5 lbs for someone my size but NOPE not yet :neutral_face:

(Jennibc) #16

Sometimes it takes a bit. Patience is key. Uncontrollable hunger is probably what got you to point that you needed to lose 75 pounds so the plus is that you have now got that under control! Focus on what you have going for you right now. That will help you stay the course.

You are so right! I am finding it amazing that I can sit next to my kids having cake at a party and not have the slightest craving for it…especially with the sweet tooth I formerly had.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #18

I started 7 months ago at 205 lbs. I have lost 30 so far with some longish stalls here and there. My goal is to lose 15-20 more.

I have had ridiculously huge NSV’s including improving triglycerides, raising HDL fixing my LDL/HDL ratio, near elimination of edema and psoriasis, improved circulation in my legs, the reversal of a pre diabetic diagnosis, huge increase of energy and a lessening of fatigue. Losing weight has helped me a lot because I am a lower leg amputee. All three of my doctors are very happy with me eating this way and the changes it has made to my chronic conditions. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Running from stupidity) #19

Just FYI, I’m not making any jokes here BECAUSE I’M SO SENSITIVE.

:wink:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #20

@juice Hey, I get socks 2 for 1 for life! :joy:

I still have my right knee, so technically still a leg so to speak. And you could make any amputee joke and it wouldn’t offend me. :grin: It’s been 20 years or 1/3 of my life and pre amputee days are a distant memory. Many of those are painful so not all negative loosing it.