What do you think of these nuts?

(In Rochester NY USA, lovin life) #1

Based solely on the omega balance and amount which one do you think would be better for you

walnuts

Total Omega-3 fatty acids
mg

Total Omega-6 fatty acids
mg

macadamias

Total Omega-3 fatty acids
mg

Total Omega-6 fatty acids
mg

Thanks!
Dan

(Janelle) #2

Not sure really why you’re asking. From a keto perspective walnuts aren’t the worst but they’re not the best either. If you’re going for Omega-3, you already know the answer, I guess.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #3

The omega 3 in nuts is the precursor form, ALA. your body will use it to make the useful forms, DHA and EPA at rates ranging from 10-30% for DHA and 1-10% for EPA.

It’s better to eat fish and the good eggs, where the ALA has already been conjugated.

(In Rochester NY USA, lovin life) #4

the reason (i should have been more clear) is the walnuts have a better ratio but a lot of omega 6 and I’m not sure if it’s good to have all that omega 6

(In Rochester NY USA, lovin life) #5

yeah I hear ya on the DHA and EPA, I’ve been eating nuts basically for the mono fat. The other thing I’ve never been able to get info on is pufa’s, do ya really need a certain amount? well gotta go out now, thanks!

Well I’m just glad to not any pictures I was hesitant about clicking here. Lol

(Chris) #7

I don’t do nuts but I thought this post had the best ligma title ever.

(Alex ) #8

Me too, still clicked though! Curiosity killed the cat, or my eyes many a time on the internet!

(In Rochester NY USA, lovin life) #9

:grin: I’m really glad there’s entertainment value here, you guys made me bust out laughing in the middle of probation

(Jay Patten) #10

I think that as a rule of thumb, limit you consumption of nuts as much as you can. There are other ways to get omega 3 fatty acids.

But… they are quite good and make a nice snack. That is IF you can stop eating them once have started, lol. I have trouble with that, although now that I’m below my goal weight I’m not as concerned as I used to be.

(Alex ) #11

was just literally about to say this… salted cashews… they are IMPOSSIBLE to stop eating, once you’re eating them. dont even get me started on Salt & Vinegar peanuts.

(Alex ) #13

nuts are the crack cocaine of savoury dry snacks!

(John) #15

I eat walnuts, pecans, and almonds. I go with raw unsalted. They don’t seem to trigger the “eating one makes you want more” sensors.

Being aware of the tendency to eat all of them that are in reach, I weigh and portion them out in small plastic snack bags when I take them to work, or put them in a small bowl if I am going to eat them at home. By measuring out exactly one ounce and then dumping them into my hand, I have calibrated my “handful of nuts” to where it’s about 1 oz. That’s about 180 calories, 4g total carbs, 2g net carbs. And it’s not a lot of nuts.

Great way to up your fat intake, though. 18g fat to 4g protein in that 1oz serving. Just have to watch the quantity.

(Brian) #16

Just discovered that I kinda like Brazil nuts. I know, not the best Omega profile, but quite rich in selenium. Averaging maybe a half dozen nuts a day doesn’t worry me much about the extra Omega-6.

(Troy) #17

Yes
W pecans, that’s my “on the go”1oz dessert w 2-4 tbsp of chilled butter
Occasionally some added stevia or
Dash of cinnamon and nutmeg
SO Easy to over eat
My on the go treat , as I’m not sitting down, and on my way out the door. DRIVING away

IF I sit and eat
This will “ DRIVE me nuts” :joy:
bag gone in 60 seconds

Oh well

(Jay Patten) #18

@Alex_PN that’s me with almonds!! And pecans, lol.

(Running from stupidity) #19

You being a (hopefully) reforming criminal is certainly not OUR issue!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #20

Whew! For a minute, there, I though you were talking about people on these forums? :rofl:

(Running from stupidity) #21

My life in one image…

(In Rochester NY USA, lovin life) #22

It was just a dui, no crimes against humanity