What do you think of these nuts?

(Running from stupidity) #23

Whatever, criminal.

(Deborah ) #24

I do the same thing with the snack bags and/or small dishes (I use a small ;yrex custard cup), only I portion them out in 1/4 c. portions. :slight_smile: My nuts of choice atm is roasted, salted almonds and I find them very filling.

Really enjoy pecans and am glad they are expensive. That’s the only thing that keeps me from pigging out on them.

Growing up in the Deep South, pecans were the only nuts we grew up eating, aside from peanuts.

Over the years almonds and cashews became popular but I can pass on them now.

(Doug) #26

Ben, those darn pecans are among the lowest-carb nuts, but almost always more expensive than almonds, walnuts, etc., in my neck of the woods. :neutral_face:

Down here in Baton Rouge a 16-oz. bag of quality Bergeron’s brand pecans (peeled halves) cost $8 on sale. A pound lasts me a long time. I eat no more than a handful twice a week at most.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #28

I. Have. To. Stop. Eating. Nuts. Period.

(Terence Dean) #29

Based solely on the omega balance and amount which one do you think would be better for you

That’s easy, Macadamias, I just can’t stand Walnuts. :wink:

(Diana ) #30

Before I started Keto, I would buy the big bag of trail mix from Walmart, with the raisins and M&Ms and nuts. My DH would sit with the bag and pick all the M&Ms out, because he had to have “an M&M in every bite”. Grrr.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #31

Dude - walnuts rock!

Yep, me with Macadamias.

Walnuts taste bitter to me.

Macadamia nuts are hard to find under $20 a pound here.

Any good online source of maca-nuts?

(Troy) #34

I thought these were on dietdoctor nut list😳
What went wrong?
Maybe an error on their part?

DRATS!
Time to not buy anymore

Haha
Way Pre Keto
Use to eat these all day
Yum

(Laurie) #35

I guess to answer this question you’d have to do the math. If you’re trying to get a higher ratio of Omega-3, the walnuts would be better.

I think I remember macadamia nuts that tasted very rich and smooth, but in recent years they’ve all tasted rancid to me. Maybe it’s just me. Or maybe it’s them.

Now that I’ve way cut back on nuts, I have a lifetime supply of almonds in the freezer (a couple of pounds–I used to eat that much in a few days). Maybe I can get rid of some at a potluck soon. Then maybe I’ll buy some pecans.

(In Rochester NY USA, lovin life) #36

I found some info on pufa’s and phytic acid here https://paleoleap.com/are-nuts-and-seeds-healthy/ looks like the macadamias are of the least harmfull although probably the most expensive. in the article it talks about trying to keep your omega 6 low and pufa’s down to 5-8 grams, I bet most people on the sad way of eating are getting tons and tons of omega 6 and pufa’s.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #37

Although ω-6 is essential to the diet, it is inflammatory in quantity. Since ω-3 and ω-6 are absorbed by means of the same transporter mechanism, they compete for absorption and need to be eaten in the correct ratio, which, if I’m not mistaken, is 1:1.

And you’re absolutely right; since everyone on the SAD is getting craptons of soybean, safflower, and canola oils, they are getting far too much ω-6. Yet another reason that a well-formulated ketogenic diet reduces inflammation. :bacon:

(ennui) #38

I tried these and they were super good.I wish they sold them in the states.snacmac

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #39

Cashews and peanuts are:
A: Legumes and not nuts/pulses
B: kinda carby for 20. Cashews especially. They’re like 9g net to the ounce.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #40

2:1 6:3 is generally the goal stated by most folks for modern life. 1:1 is a paleo number that is nigh impossible to achieve in the modern world.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #41

I was Mac nutting, but amazingly, the ones from Costco were the only good ones, and I got sick of em. Now, it’s pecans and marcona almonds. I bought a large bag of raw pecans at Costco, and roasted em in kerrygold butter and Redmond real salt. Amazing.

I wish I could get raw marconas, but I would guess that’s only in Spain.

(Daisy) #42

I was going to post this in humor, but I like it better here :joy: