What do you eat in 1 day?

(Ulia) #42

Agree. Doctor Pradip, I like him a lot, using same numbers. So I only eat about 60g of protein per day. I will add more with aging. But right now it works perfect for me. About 60g protein, 15-20 carbs and about 80 fat.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #43

That’s 1040 calories, which is not nearly enoug food for most people. Unless you are quite tiny, that is starvation-level intake. No wonder your body packs on muscle and bone density when you give it more protein.

(Allie) #44

Well there’s your mistake then.

(Chuck) #45

I use to log everything I ate, counting calories, and for a while also counting micronutrients. It didn’t really get me anywhere! I would lose weight then regain the weight, and all along being very strict with my calories that I ate and even the micronutrients. About a year ago I stopped counting calories and micronutrients. I started fasting and eating to be satisfied but not stuffed. I eat a moderately low carb diet of real food, no highly processed foods, no fast food, no artificial sweeteners, and I stopped drinking alcohol. I have lost the weight I wanted to lose and even more. But more importantly I have watched my body change drastically, I have lost about 12 inches from the waist, about 5 inches from each of my upper thighs. I have gone from extremely uncomfortable size 44 jeans to an extremely comfortable 34 jeans, and from 2x shirts to medium size shirts. I fast an average of 19 hours per day. I consume between 50 and 90 carbs per day. I have a very wide range of meat, seafood, vegetables, fruits, and nuts. I enjoy pickles, and pickled vegetables. After many years of doing my best to limit my sodium intake I now enjoy salting my food. I am prescription drug free after 40 years of being on prescription blood pressure medication.

(Ulia) #46

What do you mean

(Ulia) #47

You see, I dont really count so it can be different from day to day, I am doing IF so I eat to feel full from the list of my fav keto foods. I also have some extra fat on my body, so during fasting my body still get calories from there. When I was very skinny I had to eat more bc I was keep loosing weight and it was not healthy anymore, right now it isnot the issue. As long as I am full and no cravings I am good.

Paul, does it mean we can eat as much protein as we’d like, if no carbs?

Is there a danger of “excess” protein indirectly causing kidney disease? I always worry about my kidneys when I think I’m indulging in protein, even when I’m in ketosis. Is there any reason to worry about it?

Thank you for the information!

(Allie) #49

Following advice from a very dubious source.
Please search this forum for more info, he has been very widely discussed.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #50

I don’t know if we can say that. What we can say is that in the absence of carbohydrate, the insulin/glucagon ratio remains low, regardless of the quantity of protein eaten, so we stay in fat-burning, ketone-producing mode. However, there is apparently a limit to how much protein we can consume without causing ammonia toxicity, and I seem to remember that Richard Morris calculated that limit to be about 3.3 g/kg of lean mass.

Also, if Raubenheimer and Simpson are correct, we have an instinct for how much protein to eat, and if we listen to our body, we are not likely to want protein past a certain point. But that point varies from individual to individual. If you look at the research on which the dietary RDA for protein was calculated, you find that people need on average 0.6 g/kg of lean mass in order to replace their daily nitrogen loss (the body can’t use nitrogen from any other source but amino acids). But that is an average, and people’s nitrogen losses vary considerably from person to person. So some people are going to feel a need for more protein than others.

Protein is normally used to build soft tissues and bone. It is not digested, unless there is a bad famine going on. What we normally use for energy is fat (on a low-carb, high-fat diet) or glucose (on a high-carb diet). What determines which we use is our serum insulin level. If we keep it below a certain point (by eating low-carb and maintaining a low insulin/glucagon ratio), we are in fat-burning, ketone-producing mode. If we keep it above that point (on a high-carb diet and maintaining a high insulin/glucagon ratio) we are in glucose-burning, fat storing mode.

I hope all this makes sense.

As for kidney disease, there is a belief that a high-protein diet can damage the kidneys, but my understanding is that such a view is not accurate. I am remembering a video by Paul Mason, in which he goes into this. If I have it bookmarked, I’ll post a link here. Give me some time to find it.

Thank you very much, @PaulL! I super appreciate your posts. Always lots of information! Thank you for taking the time!

I’ve had a scare about my kidneys some time ago, unrelated to protein. It was due to dehydration when I tested. But at the time, I’ve read a lot about the issue, already preparing to go on a kidney diet, and that’s where my “fear” of too much protein damaging the kidneys comes. But perhaps one only needs to be cautious about protein in case of advanced kidney disease. Or perhaps it’s old science that’s been already challenged in more recent times.

(Ulia) #52

I dont really care about other opinion. I started keto 7 years ago with Berg channel and it helped me a lot. He is not my only source but he has a lot of good information. It you follow his advice wisely you can benefit from it but it doesnt mean it is dubious.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #53

I’ve looked down this thread and I’m struggling to find anyone eating as much as me!
And with little exercise I lose weight!

Breakfast typical. Bacon x3, sausage x3, eggs x2, plus butter and cheese.
Dinner. A big steak or Stew. Large helpings

(Robin) #54

You’re a lucky man!

(Harriet) #55

I noticed that, too. Frankly I’m a real outlier food wise, here’s today:

Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled in butter, 1/4 lb. hamburger, 1 slice homemade fat bread toast/butter, coffee and cream.

Snack: Couple handfuls roasted pumpkin seeds.

Dinner: Chicken with cheese sauce, cauliflower mash, 1/2 avocado, small serving green beans and carrots.

Dessert: Keto brownie.

Works out to 1448 kcal (68%f/6%c/26%p) 22 net carbs. I log everything because I do eat higher carb things and it’s a very old habit.

@Pjam @Hari

I was thinking the same thing!
Yesterday’s menu:
Breakfast: 3 eggs, 30g chorizo, 10g butter. Coffee with 30ml cream.
Snack: coffee with 30ml cream.
Lunch: 5 eggs, 30g chorizo, 5g Mayo.
Snack: coffee with 10ml cream.
Dinner: 12oz sirloin.

Think I need to reign it in, the tracking numbers are scary!

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #57

I’ll reign it in if I gain weigh. When first starting Keto I was told count carbs, not calories. And I’m sticking to it lol.
Though I do believe calories make a difference I also believe calories in and calories burnt are two different things.

(Harriet) #58

I’m menopausal and sedentary (not by choice) and also within 10 lbs. of goal (and the last ten are the most stubborn). If I don’t keep my calories within my range and have periodic 24 hour fasts the scale doesn’t budge.

(Robin) #59

I have found that eating after 5pm is the biggest mistake I can make, weight-wise.

(Allie) #60

Yes same with me. Doesn’t seem to matter how much I eat, as long as there’s nothing after about 2pm.

(Harriet) #61

I hear you there, my cutoff is 3:00, breakfast from 8:00 on … well, ideally.

There’s a reason all us old fogies got to dinner at 4:00!