What did you learn today?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) split this topic #1424

15 posts were merged into an existing topic: Ability To Mute A Member?

There was already a topic in the Site Feedback section, so we thought it would be tidier to have everything in one place.

For former carboholics, for people who used to have to eat something every couple of hours, going 12 hours without eating is a big deal. And again, fasting is defined just by abstaining from food. There is no minimum time limit that must be hit to qualify as fasting.

Try a small, $10 coffee grinder. You can pulse-grind it, and control the crumb.

I learned today that eating any amount of sugar on one day will result in a migraine the next day - for me. I know that’s not true for everyone.
Ive experiments twice in the last 2 months. Once was my daughter’s birthday cake. Massive migraine the next day. Yesterday, for Mother’s Day, hubby got cheesecake for dessert, as that was the least keto-offensive dessert on my list. I scraped the firm cheesecake out of the crust, and ate only the filling with a few berries. Today, migraine at work.
Just not going to go there anymore.

(Running from stupidity) #1433

I learned my favourite thread is back up and running.

That’s all I need to learn today.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #1434

I learned that the office fridge is no longer and I have to bring food in a cooler. darn if the ribeye is going bad. Early lunch it was.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #1435

When I was rehabbing squirrels I learned that a fox squirrel cannot breed with a gray squirrel. None of the sub species can interbreed. They’re basically the same thing with different colors, is what I thought. Nope, same with hares, they can try but conception won’t lead to an offspring. (Bummer, because they would sure be cute!)

(Running from stupidity) #1436

Hares and squirrels? I could have told you that.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #1437

I learned that leg squats in various poses help me avoid frailty quickly.

I learned, again, that you should never underestimate the power of pilates…it hurts…

(KCKO, KCFO) #1439

Yea, in my world you are either eating or fasting. I know even 24 hrs. can be a struggle. For others they can do those 21-40 days without serious issues. If it is fasting, it is a good thing.

(John) #1440

I am reading a book right now, Emotional Success, by David DeSteno (thanks to @jennibc) for linking to the author’s blog - some rabbit holes are very beneficial). So I am learning new things every day.

One of the things I learned is that the emotion of gratitude is a very powerful tool, and in unexpected ways. Just feelings of gratitude alone, not that you do anything about it, can replace willpower as a tool for keeping you on your path to long term success. I need every tool in the toolshed, so THANK YOU @jennibc for that thread! I am very grateful for the time you spent to share that information.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #1441

I listened to an Oprah Winfrey book about these interview she does called Super Sundays. She mentioned that saying five things that she’s grateful for each night before bed spilled into her whole days because she’d be planning on what to be thankful for that night and would notice more good stuff than she would have before. I thought that was a nice way to maybe feel better during the day, a little mind trick.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #1442

Today, I learned that the type of Jellyfish I’ve been spending my summers, feverishly paddling away from, are called Moon Jellyfish.

And coincidentally, out of water, they look like they should ABSOLUTELY NOT be in Kim Kardashian’s NOTHING AT ALL.

(Jennibc) #1443

I am so glad you found it useful! The blog is written by Eric Barker - he acts as a curator for very useful books! I have read so many books he’s summarized there and those ideas have been life transforming for me. I used to suffer horribly from depression and anxiety - I feel like I lost the prime of my life to those. I credit the emotional tools gained through reading and the radical change in diet to my coming out on the other side. That’s why I sound down right evangelical to others about the dietary changes and the changing the way I think and choose to perceive the world. I never would have believed I could feel so at peace. When you get through darkness like that, you want to share, to help others. Thank you for your kind words.

(John) #1444

You know, I thought I was going crazy because I knew I ordered the book written by the blog author, but the book I was reading was definitely written by a different person.

Today, in the mail, was Barker’s book, Barking Up the Wrong Tree. I had ordered three books at the same time from Barnes and Noble, and one of them was backordered. Turns out I wasn’t crazy, just forgot which of the three was backordered and which had arrived.

Just absentminded (for not checking the blog for the author’s name first).

I bookmarked the blog, https://www.bakadesuyo.com/, so at least I can find my way back.

('Jackie P') #1445

I have learnt that exercise is a wonderful thing, Underneath this pile of blubber I can feel a wonderfully toned body! At the moment it looks a bit flabby but, hey! I’m sure it will all come good in the end!

('Jackie P') #1446

I have also learnt that even if you can wiggle your way in to a size 14 pair of skinny jeans, it doesn’t mean you should!!!:roll_eyes:
That little bit of squishy flesh has to pop out somewhere!!

(Alec) #1447

I learnt that even on a relatively low amount of training I can get faster

(Jennibc) #1448

He referenced that book that you alluded to in the post I linked to, so I can see how that would be confusing.